X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KLocke
    replied
    Re: Stacy at 15'5 again

Annika's the real deal as is Monica Pyrek of Poland.

Annika is the
    >"dark horse" of the group, and in this event someone can always come out of
    >the woodwork and surprise us. It's going to be fun!

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

OV: Right now my prediction for Athens is 1) Isinbayeva; 2) Feofanova; 3) Dragila.

Me: ** I'll go D, I, F

A few predictions for the women's pole vault for 2004:
    1) Both world records -- indoor and outdoor -- will fall this year. Probably each one more than once.

** agree

2) We'll see the first woman over 16' this year, but not over 5 meters.

** out on a limb - 5m WILL go. [too many people improving too fast + add in Oly year]

3) Stacy may break the world indoor record, but she won't have it by the end of the indoor season if the Russian vaulters vault seriously indoors (which I expect they will).

** do not disagree :-)

4) Yelena Isinbayeva will be the first woman over 16', possibly indoors, for sure outdoors.

** SD first only because she's almost there now.

5) Yelena may not be the only woman over 16' this year. Excellent prospects for Svetlana and Stacy, and a good shot at it for Annika too. Tatyana Polnova is a little more of a quesion mark but may come on well this season. I don't expect to see her over 16' however.

** all three medalists over 16' (but not in Athens)

6) Expect the Athens winner to vault 4.80 (15'9") or better to get the gold medal. We may see a 16' vault in Athens, though it probably won't be the first.

** agree

7) It's going to be a real war in Athens in this event.

** oh yeah!

I defer to OV in all things technical, but to no one in my enthusiasm for this year's female PV prospects - I wish the men would get their act together also - we miss you Sergei.

Leave a comment:

• KLocke
    replied

Based on my observation in Reno. The difference was indeed "technical". She rides the energy of the plant much better than a year ago. This enable her to be a bit quicker on the pole.

>I did realize that, that but my enthusiasm is mainly fueled by the fact that
    >these two meets are right out of the box, in January. She is doing this on
    >speed and strength - so as the technique gets better, up go the bars.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

I go only go on the things I've read about being with her new coach, which said that the Oct-Dec training phase was all about speed and strength and the technique work was to be from shorter pole runs (5 rights perhaps). When she goes back to her 9 rights (I think that's what she runs in mid-summer, but not positive) the technique has to be re-adjusted. I would guess that she's at 95% on speed and strength, maybe 75% (relatively speaking) on technique right now. But that's just from an outsider - albeit a very closely following one. You are right in recognizing my optimism, but I think I'm on pretty solid ground here (he said with his fingers crossed for good luck).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Just to play devil advocate: how do you know that her technique isn't flawless and that she is really shy on strength and/or speed?

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

I did realize that, that but my enthusiasm is mainly fueled by the fact that these two meets are right out of the box, in January. She is doing this on speed and strength - so as the technique gets better, up go the bars.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Just to temper the enthusiasm a litle bit you should remember that she isprobably a coupla inches shorter than where you think she is simply becuz these are both altitude sites.

Leave a comment:

• stevehj197
    replied

>Ms. Dragila went 15'5 again yesterday in Flagstaff. Is it me or did the
    >Russians rejuvenate her? Beware waking the sleeping giant. She's been my
    >favorite athlete since 1997 and I hope (and believe) she will go 16' soon and
    >win the Athens Gold. She may not go undefeated because her new coach and she
    >are tinkering with technique (to my somewhat trained eye, she tries to jump
    >from too far in and ends up collapsing the top arm too much instead of holding
    >pressure on it), so she may be inconsistent, but by August we may see the first
    >5m jump by a woman! The fact that there are 3 really good Russians makes this
    >event very hot this year.

oldvaulter, I would like to see your comment on this.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    started a topic Stacy at 15'5 again

Stacy at 15'5 again

Ms. Dragila went 15'5 again yesterday in Flagstaff. Is it me or did the Russians rejuvenate her? Beware waking the sleeping giant. She's been my favorite athlete since 1997 and I hope (and believe) she will go 16' soon and win the Athens Gold. She may not go undefeated because her new coach and she are tinkering with technique (to my somewhat trained eye, she tries to jump from too far in and ends up collapsing the top arm too much instead of holding pressure on it), so she may be inconsistent, but by August we may see the first 5m jump by a woman! The fact that there are 3 really good Russians makes this event very hot this year.
Working...
X