Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. T vs. race walking

Apparently, Snickers got in trouble for this commercial being "politically incorrect," but I thought it was hilarious. My apologies if you disagree. I'm guessing the racewalking fans here won't like it at all, unless they have a good sense of humor.

Of course, I have to keep in mind what a fellow track fan told me in Eugene when I sniffed at the notion of going to watch the 20K walk: "Lee, running fans making fun of walking fans is like the Star Wars geeks ridiculing the Star Trek geeks."

Point taken.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

GET SOME NUTS!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Thank you for that. I just forwarded it to all my coworkers.

Comment

Re: Mr. T vs. race walking

Originally posted by trackstar
      Of course, I have to keep in mind what a fellow track fan told me in Eugene when I sniffed at the notion of going to watch the 20K walk: "Lee, running fans making fun of walking fans is like the Star Wars geeks ridiculing the Star Trek geeks."

Point taken.
      Yeah, but you never had to be out on the streets at 7 in the morning to watch Star Trek.

Comment

Few in the media seem to be questioning the idea that racewalking is gay. The ad was pulled because it was considered offensive to gay people: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/ju ... vertising1

Comment

I've noticed a number of recent commercials that use not-so-subtle digs at effeminate men to tout their products as manly. The Mr. T ad was just silly in comparison IMO.

If you gotta drink the Mike's Hard Lemonade while driving a Dodge Charger to secure your sexuality... :roll:

Edit: Pity the fool who puts others down to feel better about themselves!

Comment

I thought it was hilarious, but hope I don't get any snickers launched at me while working out. There were a few walkers w/o a sense of humor who complained loudly about it being derogatory.

Comment

You gotta admit that racewalking is one of the stupidest events ever to be associated with Track and Field. Why should we take this utterly pathetic event seriously? It should be eliminated!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike67
                You gotta admit that racewalking is one of the stupidest events ever to be associated with Track and Field. Why should we take this utterly pathetic event seriously? It should be eliminated!
                Take yourself back to Letsrun.com where intelligent discourse is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
                  Take yourself back to Letsrun.com where intelligent discourse is optional.
                  Why? Because maybe I've touched a nerve, or worse yet, violated PC talk? I'm sure most of the Track & Field world would agree that the racewalk events are stupid and should be done away with! That is of course if they had any nuts! Ha, Ha, Ha!

Comment

It's superficially funny and I laughed at first pass.

But the idea of chasing a guy down the street in a tank throwing things at him because he's effeminate and not man enough and doesn't fit in with society's expectations of him? That makes me a little uncomfortable.

Comment

Why? Because maybe I've touched a nerve, or worse yet, violated PC talk? I'm sure most of the Track & Field world would agree that the racewalk events are stupid and should be done away with! That is of course if they had any nuts! Ha, Ha, Ha!
                      No, because you were rude. Race Walking does not have a lot of fans here either, but on the other hand, few of us would criticize MJR for enjoying it. To each his own. Tolerance for differing interests would be an excellent trait for you to acquire.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        No, because you were rude. Race Walking does not have a lot of fans here either, but on the other hand, few of us would criticize MJR for enjoying it. To each his own. Tolerance for differing interests would be an excellent trait for you to acquire.
                        I could care less if MJR walks or not! I'm just saying racewalking is not a real T&F event, so let's leave it at the mall and off the track! Tolerance is overated! We tolerate way too much B.S. in the name of being PC! I'm just calling RW for what it is...STUPID!

Comment

We tolerate way too much B.S. in the name of being PC! I'm just calling RW for what it is...STUPID!
                          The only B.S. I see here is coming from you, disguised as opinion. Amazingly you are being tolerated and it has nothing to do with being PC.

Comment

I'm just saying racewalking is not a real T&F event,
                            Oh, I get it now - you are simply misinformed (a nice way of saying 'ignorant'). The Race Walk is indeed a part of track & field. At the Beijing Olympics the men will walk 20K and 50K and the women will walk 20K. If there's anything else you are unclear about, feel free to ask us here.

Comment

Thought the commercial was hilarious!

Anyone up in arms about what it may or may not be hinting at is being sensitive, I'd say, and looking for trouble.
                              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
                              X