Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lonewolf
    I admire race walkers. It may look "funny" but is incredibly difficult and exhausting.
    Actually, although I'm not a racewalking fan, I do greatly admire their athleticism. Now that I'm old and decrepit and had to switch to swimming for exercise, I can no longer run at the pace that the Olympians walk.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

i can see lots of OTHER folks that would be offended at this commercial. a black man acting like a buffoon and screaming like a savage? hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
        Trackstar, I appreciated the ad, personally. As for Mike67's comments, it is not PC to exercise courtesy. It is part of being civil. While I am not a huge fan of RW, it is part of the sport. That is incontrovertible. Tone the vitriol down a notch or two and see what kind of truly enlightening conversation will follow. And the HA HA stuff, gets a bit old.
        Thanks Dad!

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
          A very basic question: What percentage of us on this board honestly care what will happen in these events?
          I appreciate the love and dedication that walkers have for their events, but I wouldn't get up and look out the window to watch a race, much less actually go out somewhere to do so. Oh, and I hate the shot put . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
            A very basic question: What percentage of us on this board honestly care what will happen in these events?
            I appreciate the love and dedication that walkers have for their events, but I wouldn't get up and look out the window to watch a race, much less actually go out somewhere to do so. Oh, and I hate the shot put . . .
            Fair enough. Counting you & me, then, 0% "honestly care" what will happen in the walks. Sounds about right...

Comment

Better watch it! The "overly sensitive" types will be swooping down on you for your clearly stated, and commonly held, opinions!

However, I do enjoy watching the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike67
                Better watch it! The "overly sensitive" types will be swooping down on you for your clearly stated, and commonly held, opinions!

However, I do enjoy watching the shot!
                Full disclosure forces me to admit that I am bored stiff by any race on the track over four laps, so that may have something to do with my antipathy for walking events.

Comment

Full disclosure forces me to admit that I am bored stiff by any race on the track over four laps, so that may have something to do with my antipathy for walking events.
                  You are probably hopeless on the walk issue and I won't try to argue with you. But to anyone who is NOT bored by a long distance race I'd say give walking a chance.

If you sit down (or stand up, as you wish) and actually watch a full 20km race walk, or even a 50, the way you would watch a marathon, I think you'll be surprised how exciting it can be, just as a competition. No, they don't look like runners--they're not supposed to. But they ARE racing, and at the same time trying to stay with the rules (and that effort adds another element to the spectator interest. I don't watch a whole lot of race walks but when I do, I almost always enjoy it.

Comment

As one of those 'OS' types ( :wink: ), even I, under the duress of 'full disclosure', can admit that I don't get RW, therefore I can't enjoy it. BUT . . . I certainly would never criticize the event or those who enjoy it. I like ALL the other events (even, again under FD duress, those loooooog ones that bad hammy doesn't like), and think there are more than enough to go around, so don't be hating on them Walkers! :evil:

Comment

And unlike the shot putters, the walkers almost always have the good graces to avoid actually showing up and performing during the main part of most track meets, so leaving them be is certainly no skin off of my back.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        As one of those 'OS' types ( :wink: ), even I, under the duress of 'full disclosure', can admit that I don't get RW, therefore I can't enjoy it. BUT . . . I certainly would never criticize the event or those who enjoy it. I like ALL the other events (even, again under FD duress, those loooooog ones that bad hammy doesn't like), and think there are more than enough to go around, so don't be hating on them Walkers! :evil:
                        Why not? What's wrong with criticism of an event that blows! I have nothing against the walkers, hate the sin not the sinner!

Comment

Yes, walks can be very exiting. So can bicycling, long distance
                          skiing, and other sports that follow a similar ``race pattern''. Does
                          that (based exclusively on that argument) make it TnF? No. Would
                          considering RW not-TnF make it a lesser (or greater) sport than it is
                          today? No. The degree to which I follow walking would not change based
                          on its classification. (Usually Olympics only---where I also watch a
                          lot of other sports, including swimming, bicycle races, and, ahem, the
                          women's beach volley ball.)

To me TnF is running, jumping, and throwing in a stadium or under
                          sufficiently similar conditions---with a philosophy of altus, fortus,
                          citus. In this scheme, RW does not fit in. Those who have a different
                          classification system can validly draw other conclusions in their
                          system. If they do, we will simply have to agree to disagree.

(Disclaimer: The above is of course an oversimplification. I do not consider,
                          e.g., baseball to be TnF. However, I think you understand what I mean
                          with ``running, jumping, throwing'', etc.)

Comment

don't be hating on them Walkers!
                            Why not? What's wrong with criticism of an event that blows! I have nothing against the walkers, hate the sin not the sinner!
                            Why not hate? I would hope the answer is self-evident.

In regard to the event, any criticism of the event IS a criticism of the people who enjoy it. I'm not into rap or bubblegum music, but I think it would be very wrong of me to say NO ONE should like it, just because I think it's pointless. You are more than welcome to ignore it (as most of us do), but hatin' is hatin', bro. It just ain't cool! :evil:

Comment

don't be hating on them Walkers!
                              Why not hate? I would hope the answer is self-evident.

In regard to the event, any criticism of the event IS a criticism of the people who enjoy it. I'm not into rap or bubblegum music, but I think it would be very wrong of me to say NO ONE should like it, just because I think it's pointless. You are more than welcome to ignore it (as most of us do), but hatin' is hatin', bro. It just ain't cool! :evil:
                              Fortunately, attaining the coveted classification of "cool" is not the objective of my comments regarding this or any other subject. My sin hating comments used here were for analogous purposes, but hating sin and loving the sinner is most certainly "cool" to He Who matters!

Comment

Fortunately, attaining the coveted classification of "cool" is not the objective of my comments regarding this or any other subject. My sin hating comments used here were for analogous purposes, but hating sin and loving the sinner is most certainly "cool" to He Who matters!
                                I think we just hit rock bottom in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X