Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Long Jump Star?

As reported in Britain's "Athletics International" yesterday:

<<The world junior best for the indoor long jump, which had stood at 8.09 (26-61/2) by Dion Bentley (USA) since 1989, was broken by Viktor Kuznetsov of the Ukraine with a leap of 8.12 (26-73/4) in what must be seen as one of the major breakthroughs in the history of athletics.

Kuznetsov (b. 14 Jul 1986, 190/67 [6 21/2/148!]) competed as a triple jumper in 2003 with a best of 15.47 [50-91/4] before improving to 16.32 [53-61/2] on Dec 12. A week later came his amazing long jump (series 8.07 [26-53/4], 8.12 [26-61/2], x, 7.65 [25-11/4], x, x). His previous best was 6.89 [21-111/2] in December 2002! These new marks will not be eligible as Ukrainian junior records as there was no drugs testing. >>

Re: New Long Jump Star?

>These new marks will not be
    >eligible as Ukrainian junior records as there was no drugs testing. >>

I heard about this jump a couple weeks ago on the IAAF forum. However, I never knew that there wasn't any drug testing. Surely that means that it can't be counted as an official World Junior Indoor Record...? (Just as Allyson Felix's 200m mark wasn't allowed)

Comment

I never knew that there wasn't any drug testing.
      >Surely that means that it can't be counted as an official World Junior Indoor
      >Record...?

There's no such thing as an official world junior indoor record. The IAAF does not recognize junior records indoors.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>I never knew that there wasn't any drug testing.
        >Surely that means that it
        >can't be counted as an official World Junior Indoor
        >Record...?

There's no
        >such thing as an official world junior indoor record. The IAAF does not
        >recognize junior records indoors.

Ah yes, well remembered.

Comment

Does the IAAF have rules related to the indoor long jump that limits the legnth of run-up, type of surface, etc. in order to be considered for official records?

Comment

I say take it at face value and celebrate the birth of a new star. Please go behind door #3 if you wish to devalue this achievement.

Comment

Of course, there are still many records on the IAAF books that predated mandatory testing.

Comment

>I say take it at face value and celebrate the birth of a new star. Please go
                >behind door #3 if you wish to devalue this achievement.

Who's trying to devalue this achievement...?!

Comment

I know that Kuznetsov is a somewhat common name, but is he perhaps related to former Decathlon WR holder Vasily ? There also was a Vladimir that has a JT'er.

Comment

Another next LJ star: Marcin Starzak (18) has jumped 8.01m in Brzeszcze (Pol).

Comment

Working...
                    X