Running Gadgets!!! HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Gadgets!!! HELP!!

How many of you runners use a GPS system while you run or some type of gadget that mesausres the distance of your runs? If so what do u use? How do you think it compares to the other brands of gadgets that claim to do the same thing? I have the Timex GPS system. It works well. I've never had problems with it. I bought it in Auguest and I've only lost connection with it on runs about 3 times since I bought it. But I want to buy somthing a little more compact. I don't mind the whole arm band thing that timex has but if there's somthing smaller out there I wouldn't hesistate to buy it (for example Garmin came out with the Forerunner 201, great looking gadget only for 123 bucks, but is it worth it? Does it live up to its claims?) So if anyone out there has any opinions on whats best don't hesistate to give a holla! peace out!

Re: Running Gadgets!!! HELP!!

Absolutely, you cannot truly experience running without gadgets. Required of any athlete in our sport are:
    GPS devices
    Heart rate monitors
    Altitude houses
    Oakleys
    Inhalers
    Oxygen-something knee socks
    Breathe-right strips
    Lactate test kits

These are only the basics. You cannot begin to participate in our sport without them.

Comment

Actually, my watch that takes my pulse IS a very helpful gadget, thank you very much.

Comment

>Actually, my watch that takes my pulse IS a very helpful gadget, thank you very
        >much.

They are useful after a long lay-off and this gadget, found by an eagle eyed canuck lister, is an absolutely must have:

http://www.gadgetbabe.com/showpage.asp? ... temid=4333

Comment

>Actually, my watch that takes my pulse IS a very helpful gadget, thank you very
          >much.

That's right! It would be impossible to train without knowing what your heart rate is!!!

Comment

NO, my dear malmo, it would be POSSIBLE to train, but thousands of people have found that they can train more EFFICIENTLY with one. Reactionaries buried in the stone ages always frown at technological advances.

HARRRUMPHH - back in my day we didn't have any of that nonsense!

Gadgets don't take the place of quality mileage, but they do enhance one's understanding of the physiological processes involved. We need not turn our nose down at anything that can help us.

Comment

Ok my whole purpose of this was to find others reactions about gadgets, for example speed distance monitors, because i'm looking for a new one to buy. Instead I get retarded comments about the acceptance of these gadgets in our day of age. I can see that my call for assitance has instead turned into a complete failure and utterly useless attempt to find help.

Later....

Comment

Hello Big Al:

Tried to post late last night, didn't work... I have the Nike SDM - it's pretty good especially for trail/mountain runs. Small, compact, etc.
                But as with all NIKE stuff , it is expensive.

cheers

Comment

thanks "silent running", I just used my Timex GPS today and I began thinking, "i never tested this baby". So on my way home i reset my car to 0 miles and then started my GPS to see if both my car and the GPS were the same. To my surprise the GPS was only behind by about 0.085 after 10 miles of driving (the end result was 9.915 on my GPS compared to my cars 10.0)I was at a stop light and then rolled my car a little when the car hit 10 miles so i know it was right on. Maybe my GPS unit isn't so bad. I usual run i go about usually 0.500 more than the GPS says. So for example it says 8.000 miles, i go half a mile more in case of error on part of the days weather and stuff.

Comment

I have the same system. I would trust it far more than the odometer of the car. I think you can caught up in all the functions/information the system gives in real time and it can take away from the workout because you pay more attention to the data than how you feel. That being said, I don't wear it all the time only twice a week. But I also think it is good for judging your progress on a weekly basis. Besides once you have a measured course you really don't need to measure it over and over again, your watch gives the time and some basic math gives you the pace. In the end, it's how you use the gadget and the information to make you a better runner.

Comment

I have a Nike GPS. As far as I can tell it is very accurate. I ran a 10K race course and it came up dead on. It was even working well in the wooded sections and in sections with winding roads.

Another nice tool is TOPO map software. you can map out your route and it will give you an elevation profile and distance. The distance seems very accurate for straight line or road routes, but less so for trails especially with switchbacks. Best part is that you can map your route and you don't have to carry any gadgets while running.

Personally, I tend to run with a time in mind more than distance - ie. I run 60 minutes. It is nice though for the log book to know if that was 7mi or 10mi. That is why I asked for the GPS thing for Xmas.
                      In the sun with a popsicle, everthing is possible

Comment

>NO, my dear malmo, it would be POSSIBLE to train, but thousands of people have
                        >found that they can train more EFFICIENTLY with one. Reactionaries buried in
                        >the stone ages always frown at technological advances.

And the results are showing it? Yes they are!

Modern day alchemy you've subscribed to.

Comment

Think maybe a GPS device could help malmo and his negative attitude find the way back to letsrun.com?

Comment

>Think maybe a GPS device could help malmo and his negative attitude find the
                            >way back to letsrun.com?
                            Perhaps you ascertain attitude with a divining rod and snake oil?

Comment

>Think maybe a GPS device could help malmo and his negative attitude find the
                              >way back to letsrun.com?

malmo can look after himself BUT 1)he's just kidding and 2)he's also right about these gadgets and aids that no self respecting Running Room/Gallowalker 4 hour type marathoner can seem to venture out the door without. Running is a pretty basic sport that we have been doing for thousands of years.

Comment

Working...
                              X