Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Running Gadgets!!! HELP!!

Are you idiots!?!? Do u see the subject line or can you not read? Why do you insist on going off into a tangen. Your posts have nothing to do with the purpose of this original post.

Comment

MJD is not, the the jury is still out on malmo. He is trying very hard to put himself in that category.

Comment

>Are you idiots!?!? Do u see the subject line or can you not read? Why do you
        >insist on going off into a tangen. Your posts have nothing to do with the
        >purpose of this original post.

And GPS devices have nothing to do with the original intent of this forum.

Now could you get back on tangent and help me with my divining rod? The calibrations are a bit off.

Comment

"And GPS devices have nothing to do with the original intent of this forum."

Ha ha! Congratulations, malmo, on being named Board Monitor. Did you tell gh you will be the sole determinant of what is and what is not admissable on the board? So all the training threads should be deleted immediately, right?

Comment

???????

Comment

my point exactly! :-)

Comment

Malmo is largely correct: modern kids are too caught up in bells & whistles and not enough in the concept of training itself. I had a stepson who was a case in point. He was a cyclist and managed to stay ahead of the pack because his father was willing to indulge him in space-age carbon-fiber frames, etc., etc. Never wanted for the best money could buy but was too high on the "that's too hard" scale to make it once his technological advantage was gone.

Having said that, I'd say that a GPS device could be a boon to anyone who puts in long miles on unmarked routes. I often wonder how many kids just can't understand how they can run x:00 for a 10M route and it doesn't convert to something equivalent on the track and it's because the route that somebody told them is 10M loop is only 9.5? Given that professional course measurers often seem to have trouble getting it right, embarking on a "10M loop" that was first said to be that by some guy who marked it with his car 20 years ago can do you a disservice.

Now where can I get me one of them lactate test kits?

Comment

I agree with gh, I've never been a big fan of things like heart rate monitors and lactate monitors etc. They just seem to complicate something that should be simple. But in a sport where all that matters is how fast and how far (for the running part of the sport anyways) a device that can accurately tell you how fast and how far could be a very useful tool. I've been fairly anti-gadget (except for a watch) when it comes to running for some time now but some of the GPS (Timex Speed + Distance and Garmin Forerunner) and accelerometers (Nike SDM) look like something even I could use. I look at them more like being able to take a track or a measuring wheel with you everywhere you run.

Comment

I'm not saying there isn't a point to made about whether or not such things are necessary. I'm saying that the sarcastic negative response malmo made didn't give the orignal poster any constructive feedback, he just riduculed him for asking his question. Why is that considered alright? Because malmo ran fast at one time in his life?

Comment

>I'm not saying there isn't a point to made about whether or not such things are
                      >necessary. I'm saying that the sarcastic negative response malmo made didn't
                      >give the orignal poster any constructive feedback, he just riduculed him for
                      >asking his question. Why is that considered alright? Because malmo ran fast at
                      >one time in his life?

Because ridicule for ridiculous posts IS constructive feedback.

I'm a techy-gadget guy too! I can take dictation, send and receive emails, surf the web, import financial spreadsheets, beam business cards back and forth, time splits for a half dozen runners at once and keep track of my finances on my phone. Oh yeah, I can make phone calls too. One thing for sure, is that I would never confuse my phone as being anything more than a gadget.

Comment

>>I'm not saying there isn't a point to made about whether or not such things
                        >are
                        >necessary. I'm saying that the sarcastic negative response malmo made
                        >didn't
                        >give the orignal poster any constructive feedback, he just riduculed
                        >him for
                        >asking his question. Why is that considered alright? Because malmo
                        >ran fast at
                        >one time in his life?

Because ridicule for ridiculous posts IS
                        >constructive feedback.

I'm a techy-gadget guy too! I can take dictation,
                        >send and receive emails, surf the web, import financial spreadsheets, beam
                        >business cards back and forth, time splits for a half dozen runners at once and
                        >keep track of my finances on my phone. Oh yeah, I can make phone calls too. One
                        >thing for sure, is that I would never confuse my phone as being anything more
                        >than a gadget.

Wow, now and only now am I impressed! But can you still run fast?

Comment

"Because ridicule for ridiculous posts IS constructive feedback. I'm a techy-gadget guy too! I can take dictation, send and receive emails, surf the web, import financial spreadsheets, beam business cards back and forth, time splits for a half dozen runners at once and keep track of my finances on my phone. Oh yeah, I can make phone calls too. One thing for sure, is that I would never confuse my phone as being anything more than a gadget."

OK, now I'm really lost. You see the utility in those 'gadgets', but not in a GPS or HRM? No one said you didn't still have to do all the hard work; they just point out that gadgets can help in the feedback process. You taking splits for runners doesn't make them better runners - it gives them valuable feedback. A GPS tells you how far you've run, so your splits are meaningful! The HRM tells you about how your body is handling stress. I may think I'm working hard, but the HRM will tell me what kind stress I'm really putting on my body. Do you really think that NO ONE has EVER gotten any valuable info from these kinds of gadgets? The VO2 tests are just gadgets too. Are they worthless as well? Salazar didn't seem to think so. That's all they are saying.

Comment

I've finally discovered the reasoin for the decline in USA distance running!!

Too much technology!!

Just kidding, all the monitoring info, eventually will aid the high level athlete, bit I wonder how all this constantly measuring oneself affects an athletes' psyche??

I'm no where near being an elite runner, but at times, my best times happened, when I didn't KNOW the splits.

No time to worry about....did I go out too fast...just ran as I felt, and was rewarded with some PRs....

..perhaps, that's just me?? <all knowingly will confirm my peculiarities>

Comment

>Salazar didn't seem to think so.

Your Honor, I rest my case.

Comment

>Because ridicule for ridiculous posts IS
                                >constructive feedback.

Are you catching this, Garry & Co.?

This is your board, do as you like with it, but I'll tell you the quickest way to ruin it to allow know-it-all former athletes free rein to trash people with sarcastic posts while grinding their personal axes. Malmo is not just kidding around, he's being a jerk ridiculing someone for daring to have a different opinion on a subject than he does. Defend him as only having fun and he'll continue, only worse. Go study the other boards. Your call.

Comment

Working...
                                X