Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Running Gadgets!!! HELP!!

PS: any teacher will tell you having a kid with malmo's attitude will affect the whole room because pretty soon many people won't speak up knowing they might get ridiculed. Is that really what you want on this board?

Comment

Who is Malmo? I gather from several references in this thread that he was once an elite athlete, but pls. fill me in on the details because I am not familiar.

Comment

well, if you don't have convictions in your ideas, what sort of validation can you have for your ideas...

so what if some one ridicules them.....

actually, the ridicule might point out some flaw in ones ideas......

the current educational system concern with how ones feelings states are affected is the reason for the collapse in the quality of American distance running...

any one else notice the direct correlation bewteen the two!!

Comment

the current educational system concern with how ones feelings
          >states are affected is the reason for the collapse in the quality of American
          >distance running...

As I'm trying to say on another thread-it is the work ethic generally that is suffering-don't limit it to distance running.

Comment

>Who is Malmo? I gather from several references in this thread that he was once
            >an elite athlete, but pls. fill me in on the details because I am not familiar.
            >

The question can be answered in a much better way than this but here is a start:

http://www.bunnhill.com/BobHodge/rtp3.htm

Comment

>actually, the ridicule might point out some flaw >in ones
              >ideas......
              There is a big difference between constructive criticism and ridicule. One builds, the other tears down.
              Those who communicate through ridicule have nothing contructive to offer a true discussion.

Comment

For the best source of who (or perhaps what) Malmo is, go to the letsrun thread called "Who Here Thinks Malmo Is Rude And Obnoxious?" It runs to coupla hundred posts.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ead=318339

Comment

Brian, a little obsessive aren't you? Don't tug on Garry's apron, he's not your mommy.

Comment

Here's all I know:
                    1. 48 year old self-styled running guru, who has little patience for anyone who doesn't agree with him.
                    2. Steeple PR 8:21.7, finished 2nd and 3rd in 77 and 78 respectively.

To my way of thinking #2 gives him latitude to make outrageous remarks that the rest of us stratch our heads on, because he HAS been there, done that. He has proven to me that he knows more about distance running than 99.9999999999% of the rest of us, not just because he was good, but because he obviously still follows the sport closely and must still deeply care about it.

But . . . here's my 'problem' with him. A lot of people come on here for many reasons and MOST of his posts are sarcastic to the point of meanness. I bet he doesn't even mean to be mean, but trust me, they are. He DOES have a great sense of humor and to those people who 'get' him, I bet he's a great guy and fun to be with. Unfortunately that is often lost in the translation of an internet message board. George, if I may address you as such . . . oh I can't? Sorrrrry. Malmo then, keep the opinions coming, but lighten up a little on the cynic persona a little. We obviously DO need people like you to lead us out of the dark tunnel that US Distance has found itself in it. But we need 'light' to help guide us, not snide putdowns. Thank you for your consideration. I am presently braced against the back of my chair for the blast back.

Comment

>For the best source of who (or perhaps what) Malmo is, go to the letsrun thread
                      >called "Who Here Thinks Malmo Is Rude And Obnoxious?" It runs to coupla
                      >hundred
                      >posts.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... &thread=31
                      >339

There is only one thing worse than when people are talking about you...

Comment

>Brian, a little obsessive aren't you? Don't tug >on Garry's apron, he's not your
                        >mommy.
                        Garry is the T&FN person who has responded on this thread and I seem to remember him saying several times early on he and the others didn't want this board turning into letsrun.com...a place, not coincidently, where malmo has spewed more than his share of abrasive comments. And other posters have been reprimanded for lesser comments, so why not point out someone spouting unconstructive negative ridicule.

Comment

Big Al --
                          Here's some advice that may be constructive (and that may help put this thread to sleep):

1. The Timex GPS unit and the Garmin Forerunner 201 (or some model name like that) use the same technology, so you should expect them to be equally reliable. Check their Web sites on this info, to see for yourself.

1a. The Nike devices use a different technology that is, I think (haven't looked at this lately), not the same as Garmin's GPS technology, and not as accurate. But pretty accurate, unless you're utterly utterly obsessed. But they're expensive too.

2. Given that, you should probably make your decision on cost and comfort. The Garmin unit is a little cheaper (but not cheap), and maybe a bit more comfortable-looking. However, that thing is more than 3" wide -- I would expect it to feel like having 3 watches strapped to your wrist. On a nice hot humid day, you'll have to keep the price in mind to keep you from taking it off and pitching it in the ditch...

3. Not sure checking your GPS unit for accuracy by driving a course is a good idea. The GPS is likely to be more accurate than your odometer. If you're really into accuracy -- have you done a track tempo run with the GPS unit? For the amount of $$ you have to spend, I'd want it to be accurate.

4. Garry's post about the possible use of this technology, beyond just an interest in scrupulously collecting data about one's workouts, is probably the one useful thing in this thread -- it might actually tell you how long a road run is, with pretty good accuracy.

5. Given the cost of these things, and their relative clunkiness, I'd advise waiting to see which company comes out with a unit that is the same size as your wristwatch. Timex has only been on the market a couple of years. Garmin's version is new. The units will probably get smaller and more comfy, but no less expensive. I'd wait for them to improve more on their size. Accuracy of technology will probably be consistent.

And in the meantime, get comfortable with some ambiguity about speed and distance in road runs. Just kidding -- I imagine that most of us are into recording data about ourselves for our respective events -- most of us can remember most of our performances, the conditions, how we prepare(d) etc etc etc -- just a question of how to collect the data on what we're doing, and what to do with it to make us better (or help us maintain, or slow the inevitable decline...).

Comment

>Thank you for your consideration. I am presently braced against the back of my
                            >chair for the blast back.

BOOOOOOOOOOMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Better get a dictionary. The last thing I'd ever be described as would be " a cynic."

Cynic would be a better description for those who project their own perspectives (most times deliberately) and infer meaning and intent where there is none....these are the personalities from which road rage springs.

For proof, see numerous posts on this thread by "Brian." A classic stalker.

Comment

You don't think it's cynical to make fun of someone who asks a simple straightforward question and gets a derisive reply, which basically makes fun of him for even asking the question? I've got no axe to grind here, just asking.

As Eminem (one of your favorites, I'm sure - not!) once asked, "Why are you so mad, Stan?"

Comment

>You don't think it's cynical to make fun of someone who asks a simple
                                >straightforward question and gets a derisive reply, which basically makes fun
                                >of him for even asking the question? I've got no axe to grind here, just
                                >asking.

Better buy a dictionary. You've got your cynic and funny and derision all mixed up. My God, do you must go nuts watching Comedy Central or Saturday Night Live? Do you think comics hate the subjects of their jokes? Do you think the comics hate you?

Comment

Working...
                                X