X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asterix
    replied
    Re: Running Gadgets!!! HELP!!

>Sieg, there is no "two funny dots over the 'O'" in malmo.

This is way off the original thread topic, but I'm curious, what is the story of the origin of the moniker malmo?

I've been to the city. Quite nice with the parks, canals and extensive old architecture (most 15th and 16th century buildings of any Swedish city apparently). Even ran by the stadium there a few times. Was this the location of some steeple AR or something equally noteworthy?

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

Sieg, there is no "two funny dots over the 'O'" in malmo.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>Malmö, surely you admit the utility of the Sportbrain... once featured on
    >Oprah! It counts your steps... all day long... and... better than any pedometer
    >selling for 1/10th the price, logs the count to a web site every night through
    >a dock on your PC! I hear Geb carries two when he trains along with his water
    >bottle.

OK that was funny. Just like malmo's original response. Where is the outrage?

Leave a comment:

• sl
    replied

Malmö, surely you admit the utility of the Sportbrain... once featured on Oprah! It counts your steps... all day long... and... better than any pedometer selling for 1/10th the price, logs the count to a web site every night through a dock on your PC! I hear Geb carries two when he trains along with his water bottle.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

You're number 27.

Sorry to deflate your fantasy. I don't spend all day on the net, and I don't hop when strangers call. Wait your turn, your in the queue, I'll get to you when your number comes up on the wheel. Hopefully this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Hmm, I DID send an e-mail to malmo and got no reply. Do you only perform in public?

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>Here's another cute little trick malmo and
    >posters like him do rather than ever admit he went over the line and then maybe
    >have to find the guts to apologize. When you talk trash and someone calls you
    >on it, try to find fault with the person who calls you out, and thus switch the
    >focus away from your earlier rude comments.

And don't forget to start
    >calling names. Interesting how everyone automatically becomes an internet
    >"lurker" or "stalker" just because they disagree with malmo's rudeness and
    >call him on it. I guess it's true that name-calling is the last resort of those
    >with no true arguement.

And the board's downward spiral toward the gutter
    >continues...

Yup, here's the unredacted original post of mine below. My gosh, how rude, and full of name calling!

"Absolutely, you cannot truly experience running without gadgets. Required of any athlete in our sport are:
    GPS devices
    Heart rate monitors
    Altitude houses
    Oakleys
    Inhalers
    Oxygen-something knee socks
    Breathe-right strips
    Lactate test kits
    These are only the basics. You cannot begin to participate in our sport without them."

What a gutter you're forced to wallow in? The last obsessive track fan who embraced embellishent to such a degree had a manner eerily similar to yours....nah, it couldn't be? Grow up, Brian. The only rude posts are yours.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

>Brian, a little obsessive aren't you?

>see numerous posts on this thread by "Brian." A classic stalker.

Here's another cute little trick malmo and posters like him do rather than ever admit he went over the line and then maybe have to find the guts to apologize. When you talk trash and someone calls you on it, try to find fault with the person who calls you out, and thus switch the focus away from your earlier rude comments.

And don't forget to start calling names. Interesting how everyone automatically becomes an internet "lurker" or "stalker" just because they disagree with malmo's rudeness and call him on it. I guess it's true that name-calling is the last resort of those with no true arguement.

And the board's downward spiral toward the gutter continues...

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

you can always finish here when your anxiety attack subsides.

malmo (DOT) email (AT) verizon (DOT) net

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

"Do you think the comics hate you?"

Um, no, I think they are being funny . . . but I'm really starting to get anxious about the direction this 'correspondence' has taken, so I'll just be moving along now. If you are keeping score at home, folks, chalk up another 'win' for malmo.
    signed,
    Sorry I Ever Started

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>You don't think it's cynical to make fun of someone who asks a simple
    >straightforward question and gets a derisive reply, which basically makes fun
    >of him for even asking the question? I've got no axe to grind here, just
    >asking.

Better buy a dictionary. You've got your cynic and funny and derision all mixed up. My God, do you must go nuts watching Comedy Central or Saturday Night Live? Do you think comics hate the subjects of their jokes? Do you think the comics hate you?

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

You don't think it's cynical to make fun of someone who asks a simple straightforward question and gets a derisive reply, which basically makes fun of him for even asking the question? I've got no axe to grind here, just asking.

As Eminem (one of your favorites, I'm sure - not!) once asked, "Why are you so mad, Stan?"

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>Thank you for your consideration. I am presently braced against the back of my
    >chair for the blast back.

BOOOOOOOOOOMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Better get a dictionary. The last thing I'd ever be described as would be " a cynic."

Cynic would be a better description for those who project their own perspectives (most times deliberately) and infer meaning and intent where there is none....these are the personalities from which road rage springs.

For proof, see numerous posts on this thread by "Brian." A classic stalker.

Leave a comment:

• Never Was
    replied

Big Al --
    Here's some advice that may be constructive (and that may help put this thread to sleep):

1. The Timex GPS unit and the Garmin Forerunner 201 (or some model name like that) use the same technology, so you should expect them to be equally reliable. Check their Web sites on this info, to see for yourself.

1a. The Nike devices use a different technology that is, I think (haven't looked at this lately), not the same as Garmin's GPS technology, and not as accurate. But pretty accurate, unless you're utterly utterly obsessed. But they're expensive too.

2. Given that, you should probably make your decision on cost and comfort. The Garmin unit is a little cheaper (but not cheap), and maybe a bit more comfortable-looking. However, that thing is more than 3" wide -- I would expect it to feel like having 3 watches strapped to your wrist. On a nice hot humid day, you'll have to keep the price in mind to keep you from taking it off and pitching it in the ditch...

3. Not sure checking your GPS unit for accuracy by driving a course is a good idea. The GPS is likely to be more accurate than your odometer. If you're really into accuracy -- have you done a track tempo run with the GPS unit? For the amount of $$ you have to spend, I'd want it to be accurate.

4. Garry's post about the possible use of this technology, beyond just an interest in scrupulously collecting data about one's workouts, is probably the one useful thing in this thread -- it might actually tell you how long a road run is, with pretty good accuracy.

5. Given the cost of these things, and their relative clunkiness, I'd advise waiting to see which company comes out with a unit that is the same size as your wristwatch. Timex has only been on the market a couple of years. Garmin's version is new. The units will probably get smaller and more comfy, but no less expensive. I'd wait for them to improve more on their size. Accuracy of technology will probably be consistent.

And in the meantime, get comfortable with some ambiguity about speed and distance in road runs. Just kidding -- I imagine that most of us are into recording data about ourselves for our respective events -- most of us can remember most of our performances, the conditions, how we prepare(d) etc etc etc -- just a question of how to collect the data on what we're doing, and what to do with it to make us better (or help us maintain, or slow the inevitable decline...).

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

>Brian, a little obsessive aren't you? Don't tug >on Garry's apron, he's not your
    >mommy.
    Garry is the T&FN person who has responded on this thread and I seem to remember him saying several times early on he and the others didn't want this board turning into letsrun.com...a place, not coincidently, where malmo has spewed more than his share of abrasive comments. And other posters have been reprimanded for lesser comments, so why not point out someone spouting unconstructive negative ridicule.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X