X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJD
    replied
    Re: Running Gadgets!!! HELP!!

>For the best source of who (or perhaps what) Malmo is, go to the letsrun thread
    >called "Who Here Thinks Malmo Is Rude And Obnoxious?" It runs to coupla
    >hundred
    >posts.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... &thread=31
    >339

There is only one thing worse than when people are talking about you...

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Here's all I know:
    1. 48 year old self-styled running guru, who has little patience for anyone who doesn't agree with him.
    2. Steeple PR 8:21.7, finished 2nd and 3rd in 77 and 78 respectively.

To my way of thinking #2 gives him latitude to make outrageous remarks that the rest of us stratch our heads on, because he HAS been there, done that. He has proven to me that he knows more about distance running than 99.9999999999% of the rest of us, not just because he was good, but because he obviously still follows the sport closely and must still deeply care about it.

But . . . here's my 'problem' with him. A lot of people come on here for many reasons and MOST of his posts are sarcastic to the point of meanness. I bet he doesn't even mean to be mean, but trust me, they are. He DOES have a great sense of humor and to those people who 'get' him, I bet he's a great guy and fun to be with. Unfortunately that is often lost in the translation of an internet message board. George, if I may address you as such . . . oh I can't? Sorrrrry. Malmo then, keep the opinions coming, but lighten up a little on the cynic persona a little. We obviously DO need people like you to lead us out of the dark tunnel that US Distance has found itself in it. But we need 'light' to help guide us, not snide putdowns. Thank you for your consideration. I am presently braced against the back of my chair for the blast back.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

Brian, a little obsessive aren't you? Don't tug on Garry's apron, he's not your mommy.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

For the best source of who (or perhaps what) Malmo is, go to the letsrun thread called "Who Here Thinks Malmo Is Rude And Obnoxious?" It runs to coupla hundred posts.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ead=318339

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

>actually, the ridicule might point out some flaw >in ones
    >ideas......
    There is a big difference between constructive criticism and ridicule. One builds, the other tears down.
    Those who communicate through ridicule have nothing contructive to offer a true discussion.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>Who is Malmo? I gather from several references in this thread that he was once
    >an elite athlete, but pls. fill me in on the details because I am not familiar.
    >

The question can be answered in a much better way than this but here is a start:

http://www.bunnhill.com/BobHodge/rtp3.htm

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

the current educational system concern with how ones feelings
    >states are affected is the reason for the collapse in the quality of American
    >distance running...

As I'm trying to say on another thread-it is the work ethic generally that is suffering-don't limit it to distance running.

Leave a comment:

• az2
    replied

well, if you don't have convictions in your ideas, what sort of validation can you have for your ideas...

so what if some one ridicules them.....

actually, the ridicule might point out some flaw in ones ideas......

the current educational system concern with how ones feelings states are affected is the reason for the collapse in the quality of American distance running...

any one else notice the direct correlation bewteen the two!!

Leave a comment:

• No Name
    replied

Who is Malmo? I gather from several references in this thread that he was once an elite athlete, but pls. fill me in on the details because I am not familiar.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

PS: any teacher will tell you having a kid with malmo's attitude will affect the whole room because pretty soon many people won't speak up knowing they might get ridiculed. Is that really what you want on this board?

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

>Because ridicule for ridiculous posts IS
    >constructive feedback.

Are you catching this, Garry & Co.?

This is your board, do as you like with it, but I'll tell you the quickest way to ruin it to allow know-it-all former athletes free rein to trash people with sarcastic posts while grinding their personal axes. Malmo is not just kidding around, he's being a jerk ridiculing someone for daring to have a different opinion on a subject than he does. Defend him as only having fun and he'll continue, only worse. Go study the other boards. Your call.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>Salazar didn't seem to think so.

Your Honor, I rest my case.

Leave a comment:

• az2
    replied

I've finally discovered the reasoin for the decline in USA distance running!!

Too much technology!!

Just kidding, all the monitoring info, eventually will aid the high level athlete, bit I wonder how all this constantly measuring oneself affects an athletes' psyche??

I'm no where near being an elite runner, but at times, my best times happened, when I didn't KNOW the splits.

No time to worry about....did I go out too fast...just ran as I felt, and was rewarded with some PRs....

..perhaps, that's just me?? <all knowingly will confirm my peculiarities>

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

"Because ridicule for ridiculous posts IS constructive feedback. I'm a techy-gadget guy too! I can take dictation, send and receive emails, surf the web, import financial spreadsheets, beam business cards back and forth, time splits for a half dozen runners at once and keep track of my finances on my phone. Oh yeah, I can make phone calls too. One thing for sure, is that I would never confuse my phone as being anything more than a gadget."

OK, now I'm really lost. You see the utility in those 'gadgets', but not in a GPS or HRM? No one said you didn't still have to do all the hard work; they just point out that gadgets can help in the feedback process. You taking splits for runners doesn't make them better runners - it gives them valuable feedback. A GPS tells you how far you've run, so your splits are meaningful! The HRM tells you about how your body is handling stress. I may think I'm working hard, but the HRM will tell me what kind stress I'm really putting on my body. Do you really think that NO ONE has EVER gotten any valuable info from these kinds of gadgets? The VO2 tests are just gadgets too. Are they worthless as well? Salazar didn't seem to think so. That's all they are saying.

Leave a comment:

• Silent Running
    replied

>>I'm not saying there isn't a point to made about whether or not such things
    >are
    >necessary. I'm saying that the sarcastic negative response malmo made
    >didn't
    >give the orignal poster any constructive feedback, he just riduculed
    >him for
    >asking his question. Why is that considered alright? Because malmo
    >ran fast at
    >one time in his life?

Because ridicule for ridiculous posts IS
    >constructive feedback.

I'm a techy-gadget guy too! I can take dictation,
    >send and receive emails, surf the web, import financial spreadsheets, beam
    >business cards back and forth, time splits for a half dozen runners at once and
    >keep track of my finances on my phone. Oh yeah, I can make phone calls too. One
    >thing for sure, is that I would never confuse my phone as being anything more
    >than a gadget.

Wow, now and only now am I impressed! But can you still run fast?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X