Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Indoor Weather

I found one of the comments regarding the indoor weight throw rather interesting, read on!

Event 1 Women Weight Throw
    Gilreath throws world record. Candice Scott gets collegiate record on cool
    morning in Gainesville. Kim Barret sits out this one.
    1 5084 Gilreath, Erin Unattached 23.09m 23.95m%
    78-07.00
    2 5118 Scott, Candice Florida 23.03m [email protected]
    74-10.50
    Event 2 Men Weight Throw
    School record for Emperator for second straight week
    1 5129 Emperator, Antonio Florida 19.15m 20.41m$
    66-11.50

Re: Cool Indoor Weather

Do we know that the weight was contested indoors?

Comment

>Do we know that the weight was contested indoors?

dj, in a similar vein, back in the "old days" ( until early 60's) the National AAU Indoor meet included a 35 lb. weight throw, but I believe it was not held at Madison Square Garden, and might, not sure, have been held outdoors.. if not at some indoor Armory ?

Comment

In Bulgaria a few years ago they would compete in unheated indoor venues due to lack of funding. Sometimes it really was cool... some pretty good results were achieved with temperature in the low 40s...
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I competed in the BU Armory back in the late 80s - early 90s. There were times that heat was non-existent for a few hours at the start of the meets. The throwers didn't like it much, but any distances races in the morning were pretty fast.

Comment

The National Indoor Championships would have the 35 lb. wt. throw separately at Princeton University or Manhattan College in the Bronx. Indoors!

Comment

>The National Indoor Championships would have the 35 lb. wt. throw separately at Princeton University or Manhattan College in the Bronx. Indoors!<

Steve's original comment related to the time until the early '60's. In those days, Jadwin Gym did not exist and I don't recall it ever being at Manhattan then. The meet always had a 35-lb. weight throw and still does. And there were some years, I believe, when it was held outdoors at other places in NYC. In fact, it's my recollection that at one of the US-USSR meets in the early '70's in Richmond they had a weight throw and it was outdoors. I don't have the time right now to research all of this.

Comment

>In Bulgaria a few years ago they would compete in unheated indoor venues due to
                >lack of funding. Sometimes it really was cool... some pretty good results were
                >achieved with temperature in the low 40s...>>

When I was at Washington State in the last half of the '60s, the fieldhouse had no heat and it was not uncommon to have ice forming on the walls inside the building just because of all the water vapor given off by heavy-breathing runners working out. It's quite an experience to strip down to shorts and a singlet and compete when it's below freezing. At least no wind-chill factor though!

(Do you think that part of Lindgren's greatness had to do with running intervals on a dirt track in these conditions, and doing his 10M runs in freezing temperatures with a monstrous wind chill factor?)

ps--when we used to go to school it was uphill both ways! :-)

Comment

I have a interesting cold indoor track story. I ran in an indoor meeting at Indiana University in the late 80's (89 I think) and the weather outside both days of the meet never got above 5 degree with wind chills well below 0. The problem was there was only a very small (about 20' x 50') area inside where you could warm-up at all before your event. Nobody would venture outside because the cold would stiffen you up and so you had 100+ athletes trying to warm up in this little 50'x 20' area. Bad situation. The trainers were kept very busy that day between athletes straining muscles from not being properly warmed-up and athletes running into each other in the warm-up area.

Classic case of the outside weather effecting the inside performances. But surprisingly enough my girlfield at the time (now my wife) set her 5k personal best by almost 20 secs at that meet. Told her that maybe she warm-up up to much at other meets.

Comment

The reference to the temp was because at UF they throw the weight outdoors. They don't really have an indoor facility for throwing the weight. And they don't really need it anyway. Weather is usually wonderful.
                    Funny thing is, that morning might have been cool, but by the time things were going in the weight it had to be close to 70*.

Comment

Heard that Clemson's new indoor facility has no heat!

Comment

Working...
                      X