Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most surprising 2008 Olympic champion?

I've never known a championship to throw up so many surprise winners! While it ruined many of our accumulator bets and prediction contest entries, it made for fascinating - and baffling - viewing. But which of the surprise winners was the most surprising to you?

A few other possibles not listed above (there's a set max number of poll options!): Christine Ohuruogu, LaShawn Merritt, Melaine Walker, Angelo Taylor.
    Shelly-Ann Fraser
    0%
    Wilfred Bungei
    0%
    Nancy Lagat
    0%
    Constantina Tomescu
    0%
    Dawn Harper
    0%
    Tia Hellebaut
    0%
    Tomasz Majewski
    0%
    Stephanie Brown-Trafton
    0%
    Natalya Dobrynska
    0%
    Russia women's 4x100m team
    0%

Have you seen the photos of Harper's face after she won? She couldn't believe it. That's a biggie I don't think anyone saw coming.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Nancy Lagat, I didn't know her at all and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Like Jon said, there have been many surprising winners at these Olympics, actually too many.

Comment

I would say Nancy Lagat, followed by Constantina Tomescu and Stephanie Brown-Trafton.
        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Nancy or Stephanie. I'd at least heard of the others!!! :shock:

Comment

Depends on when I was asked... before the games I'd've said Bungei, before the finals Harper, Lagat or Tomescu. Don't see what's all that surprising about Trafton...

Comment

I shold say Stephanie Brown-Trafton, because I had never heard of her before she threw her best result. Or I just can't remember her. But I don't think there was a dead-clear favourite in discus.
              Tia Hellebaut did the same than 2 years ago in European Championships, but now she jumped even higher and she won Blanka Vlasic, who had been unbeaten since the beginning of the last summer. I didn't see it coming in 2006 and definately not now.

Comment

I think it's interesting (but not sure why) that only two of the poll selections are male.

Comment

Originally posted by George P.
                  I think it's interesting (but not sure why) that only two of the poll selections are male.
                  Well, all the male winners save Majewski were known factors, hardly shots in the dark. Plus in Majewski's favor as the top male upset is that the top 3 ( US clutchers) were considered so dominant. Cantwell gets no applause from me with his sub-70 silver.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    Originally posted by George P.
                    Well, all the male winners save Majewski were known factors, hardly shots in the dark. Plus in Majewski's favor as the top male upset is that the top 3 ( US clutchers) were considered so dominant. Cantwell gets no applause from me with his sub-70 silver.
                    Agree. Thinking about the matter a bit more, what we're seeing is maybe the female side of the sport still more in the development process, more in flux, with a thinner talent pool and -- consequently -- more "soft" events and records.

Comment

Stephanie Brown-Trafton, although Sigi Heinrch (one of the German Eurosport commentators said it during the DT qualification) :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                        Don't see what's all that surprising about Trafton...
                        Yeah, it could have just as easily been Phillipa Roles :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
                          Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                          Don't see what's all that surprising about Trafton...
                          Yeah, it could have just as easily been Phillipa Roles :roll:
                          Yes, with her #31 position on the yearly list (not counting Pishchalnikova) a mere five meters and 29 places behind Trafton, her most clearly being in the form of her life in the run-up for the Olympics, and an impressive 7th place in her most important competition (the European Cup) this year, I don't think anyone can disagree she had a pretty good case for making the top six of the formchart.

OK, so I at least was not shocked by Trafton (even if I only started to favor her for medaling after the Q) but perhaps not for any easily explained reason. I never thought Powell or Breisch had any chance last year, or that Powell or Thurmond had any chance this year. I evaluated Trafton as the only American with any kind of chance, and even picked her for the Pre leg of the IAAF fantasy contest (she won there, incidentally, further proving me I wasn't overrating her). I probably just had a gut feeling she'd be able to deliver even without a big favorable wind. Everyone knows my gut feelings are never wrong :twisted:

Comment

Well, all the male winners save Majewski were known factors, hardly shots in the dark.
                            Well, if you look at how many people admitted to putting money on Majewski here, you have to conclude it wasn't THAT big a shock for those who follow things.
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                              Well, all the male winners save Majewski were known factors, hardly shots in the dark.
                              Well, if you look at how many people admitted to putting money on Majewski here, you have to conclude it wasn't THAT big a shock for those who follow things.
                              i put money on majewski but only each way i certainly didn;t expect him to win but thought he had a good shot at bronze and at 40-1 it was a good bet
                              i deserve extra credit

Comment

Working...
                              X