Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Olympic gold-medal sprinter Bolt charge into the NFL?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Avante

• Avante
    replied
    Originally posted by kamikaze7
    However if I had to pick a flag football team, Bolt would be my 1st draft pick. With his height and speed, he would make any quarter back look good. Even Jamarcus Russell or Rex Grossman would look like a hall of fame calibre QB.
    I played city league flag football for 10 years. The fastest guy out there was a guy named Greg Flenory. He was 9.7 guy and was someone of note locally. While at Stanislaus State he won that leagues 200m. He was far faster than anyone trying to cover him in our flag league. He wasn't a footballer. The guys who really starred were and none could come close to Flenory in speed.

If I'm drafting for flag football......Barry Sanders!

Leave a comment:

• kamikaze7

• kamikaze7
    replied
    However if I had to pick a flag football team, Bolt would be my 1st draft pick. With his height and speed, he would make any quarter back look good. Even Jamarcus Russell or Rex Grossman would look like a hall of fame calibre QB.

Leave a comment:

• az2004

• az2004
    replied
    nehemiah had mixed results, but he choose nfl for the money, which really wasn't available in the track circuit in the early 80s...

bolt can make huge money running track, far more than he could make playing football...

and one over the middle hit from troy palamalou would be enough to send him back to running track

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE

• KDFINE
    replied
    Ollie Matson and Bob Hayes were hugely successful and grew up playing football. Henry Carr and Tommie Smith may have grown up with football but were unsuccessful. Pro Football is now a sport for guys who risk addling their brains and crippling their bodies, where drug use is overlooked. Pro Football may be the be all and end all of sports in the United States but it isn't the be all and end all of sports in the world. I'm in agreement with those who ask why would Usain Bolt even care or bother?

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst

• Speedfirst
    replied
    This isn't the Chris Johnson thread, the below is.
    http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discus ... hp?t=38420

Leave a comment:

• Avante

• Avante
    replied
    Chris Johnson couldn't beat Jamaal Charles, Bolt could give him a five meters head start and end up jogging by him with a grin. A 9.8 (anytime he wants one) guy vs a cat who couldn't break a 10.20...hahaha! I can't even put Johnson in an All Time NFL running backs 100m. That would be...(based on actual track exploits)

lane

1.Herschel Walker
    2.Michael Bennett
    3.Jamaal Charles
    4.Curtis Dickey
    5.Travis Williams
    6.O.J.Simpson
    7.Joe Delaney
    8.Buddy Young

If Holliday and Demps make it in the NFL they would be there. Sultan McCullough a 10.17 guy out of USC didn't make it and as we know Bob Hayes became a receiver at the NFL level. Obviously Bo Jackson could motor but he did little as a trackster.

Johnnson might be able hang with....

lane

1.Reggie Bush
    2.Nap Kaufman
    3.James Owens
    4.Eric Dickerson
    5.Chris Johnson
    6.Adrian Peterson
    7.Justin Fargas
    8.Willie Galimore

Johnson is like a lot of backs he has that burst/explosion, which means he'll run that gaudy 40 time. A 100m is totally different. Hell guys like Jerry "who" Sims could run a WR 5.9 60 the same time ran by greats like Hayes, Hines, Greene and Carlos. Speed endurance ......that's the 100m

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst

• Speedfirst
    replied
    NO

Leave a comment:

• tandfman

• tandfman
    replied
    There's no reason in the world why he would ever want to.

Leave a comment:

• kamikaze7

• kamikaze7
    replied
    Bolt played cricket growing up. That is a sport that 100% non contact. He sure as heck cannot learn to take a hit now.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord_Zanus
    Take away the FAT, and now we're in the 3.8-3.9 range.
    But surely the cleats and grass make it impossible to compare?

Leave a comment:

• bman

• bman
    replied
    There is absolutely no chance Bolt could loose at any distance, for obvious reasons. However, for the race to be interesting at all, as guru said, it would have to be a 40y or something very close or no one could be duped into believing Johnson had some sort of chance because of the shift in domain. I personally am down for almost anything when it comes to special events and the like, I am no purist by any means.

Leave a comment:

• Lord_Zanus

• Lord_Zanus
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
    Hell no. Football "speed" is actually more quickness. It is quite rare that an athlete gets the opportunity to build up the speed over 20 meters. Usain's height and slower start would not transfer well. Now if they made the fields twice the distance, we might have something to talk about.
    I know the response to this post is late, but I couldn't help it.

Usain doesn't and has never had a slow start. He's had some races here and there with slow reaction times, but his movements are far from slow. I think the surprise of this potential matchup would be the site of bolt winning from start to finish. I would say cj would keep up for no more than 10y.

What we consider slow starts by track and field standards are in no way slow by nfl standards. I'm sure no one thinks xavier carter was lacking quickness on the football field. Yet he is regularly getting left in the blocks.

Based off the numbers I have from bolt, powell,green, gay, & ben none of them have run faster than 4.3x using official track and field timing methods. Reaction times, FAT, etc. Subtract the reaction times, let's say .140 and they're in the low 4.2x's. Take away the FAT, and now we're in the 3.8-3.9 range.

Leave a comment:

• runforlife

• runforlife
    replied
    Originally posted by carlosreyes2k
    I beg to differ with the person who said those weren't slouch times because compared to Mr. Bolt they are.
    To even speculate that Chris Johnson can come close to Usain after not having trained exclusively for sprinting is absurd and disrespectful to Bolt.

Chris Johnson doesn't stand a snow flakes chance in Hades.
    Exactly!! Case closed!!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman

• tandfman
    replied
    Story now in the front page headlines section here sez the Bolt-Johnson race ain't gonna happen.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235

• 26mi235
    replied
    At 40 yards a 1 meter difference looks trivial and with a quick start, Johnson may well be within that differential. If they ran the 100 on the track I think that it would be more like Bolt runs a 9.60 and CJ runs a 10.60, although Bolt will not be in 9.60 shape for that type of 'event' and would likely be looking back and smiling (but not running backwards).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X