Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Olympic gold-medal sprinter Bolt charge into the NFL?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    7-sided

• 7-sided
    replied
    Charity is actually the LAST reason to do this race; they can sign autographs for charity. If it's going to be done ...

- then it has to be 100m, not 60m (or less). It has to be a full-out a**-spanking! The race has to be a repudiation of Johnson AND the NFL 'mentality' - in terms of "who's fastest!"
    - then it needs to be done for big money and Big TV.
    - then Johnson should have to PROVE that he is indeed the fastest NFL'er so that every few weeks there is not a new challenger with a marketing profile to hype.
    -Johnson has to guarantee Bolt's fee ($750k+) out of his own pocket. This will stop/slow more clowns from making the claim.

A loss, even by slip or injury, kills Bolt and the sport. But, a back-of-the wood shed; katie bar the door; whoah, Nelly! Beating (apologies to Keith Jackson) ... now that becomes legend.

Remember when Franco Harris destroyed Jim Brown?

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    I don't know...I think he'd win the Special Olympics too. :P

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    I think that to make Bolt truly interesting, at this point he should start running in handicap races.

Leave a comment:

• guru

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    A loss--not that I can imagine its really happening--.

I agree. I certainly wouldn't bet on Johnson over Bolt at 40y either. But it would be a helluva lot more interesting than a 100.

Leave a comment:

• carlosreyes2k

• carlosreyes2k
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by guru
    Interesting, and somewhat mystifying, that Bolt's camp is currently against anything shorter than 60....
    Not at all mystifying; the shorter the distance the more that "luck" (in the form of a bad start) comes into play, and if there's a weak part of Bolt's game--relatively speaking--it's his start.

A loss--not that I can imagine its really happening--would be devastating for the sport as a whole, not just to Bolt.
    Charity is the only reason to even give this match-up a second thought.

As mentioned earlier football is about quickness.
    And Cowboy Chris Johnson was a 21+ / 10.3+ sprinter in high school?
    I beg to differ with the person who said those weren't slouch times because compared to Mr. Bolt they are.

Besides Bolt trains like a mad man. To even speculate that Chris Johnson can come close to Usain after not having trained exclusively for sprinting is absurd and disrespectful to what Bolt and all other 'Athletes/Tracksters' do.

My take:
    1. For charity yes.
    2. Sixty meters is a good compromise distance. (Usain's starts are THAT bad)
    3. Chris Johnson doesn't stand a snow flakes chance in Hades.

Where's my on-line betting bookmark ?!?!?! :wink:

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    Interesting, and somewhat mystifying, that Bolt's camp is currently against anything shorter than 60....
    Not at all mystifying; the shorter the distance the more that "luck" (in the form of a bad start) comes into play, and if there's a weak part of Bolt's game--relatively speaking--it's his start.

A loss--not that I can imagine its really happening--would be devastating for the sport as a whole, not just to Bolt.

Leave a comment:

• guru

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by croflash
    Why would Bolt participate in anything that is shorter than a normal 100m race? .
    Well it's for charity, so there's that.

But again, for a variety of reasons a 40y makes all the sense in the world.

Leave a comment:

• croflash

• croflash
    replied
    Why would Bolt participate in anything that is shorter than a normal 100m race? Johnson really has nothing to lose in such a race, no matter what the distance is.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Very unlikely he could take the punishment. These NFL players love to hit and get hit, they are very special athletes.

The first time Bolt went across the middle for a short pass and got leveled by a 250lb pro linebacker he would be done with this NFL stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy

• Daisy
    replied
    football 40 yards(Johnson's combine best 4.24). Frankly, no other distance makes sense from an interest standpoint.
    I'd like to see a football scenario (cleats and 40) and a track scenario (spikes, blocks and 60m with accurate 10m splits).

Leave a comment:

• guru

• guru
    replied
    Race brewing between Bolt and the NFL's newest member of the 2000 rushing yards in a season club, the Titans Chris Johnson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4794525

Johnson no slouch as a prep at 10.38/21.30. Doesn't look like he ran at East Carolina.

Interesting, and somewhat mystifying, that Bolt's camp is currently against anything shorter than 60. It would be a great chance to see how a "football" guy would stack up against the worlds best sprinter at the stat we always scoff at - football 40 yards(Johnson's combine best 4.24). Frankly, no other distance makes sense from an interest standpoint.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Richardson

• Kevin Richardson
    replied
    Hell no. Football "speed" is actually more quickness. It is quite rare that an athlete gets the opportunity to build up the speed over 20 meters. Usain's height and slower start would not transfer well. Now if they made the fields twice the distance, we might have something to talk about.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    No NFL team will be willing to guarantee him the kind of money he will make in track over the next 7-10 years. A bird in the hand is worth more than no birds in the bush. Also, Bob Hayes once said that if sprinters of his day made the kind of money that Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson made, he would have never played pro football.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by eldrick
    i reckon bolt coud make transition

he used to play cricket ( bowler ) & that involves hand/eye co-ordination & also lot of catching of ball
    Does it involve getting tackled by large men after they catch it? The wear and tear that football players are subjected to is much different from what athletes in non-contact sports must endure.
    Nehemiah was never the same after his classic clock-cleaning in an NFL game. I'm amazed he ever got up.

Leave a comment:

• George P.

• George P.
    replied
    With the world (including shoe companies and meet directors) at his feet, and without any known background in the sport (does he even know the rules?), this would be the most bone-headed decision of all time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X