Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Post says Bolt, not Phelps, best individual at OG

Of course, we all knew that, but it's great to see a mainstream US paper agree:

http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/ci_10286579

"Best performance (individual): Usain Bolt, sprinter, Jamaica. Sorry, Michael Phelps. With swimmers breaking 74 world records in 2008 — including 24 at these Olympics — we no longer are impressed with world swim records. But when Bolt breaks track's two sprint marks for the first sprint double in 24 years, then runs a leg on the sprint relay that breaks a third record, that grabs our attention."

I agree Dr. Jay.

If track had the "100 meter freestyle run," the "100 meter two-legged hop," the "100 meter skip," and the "100 meter backpedal," and a 400 meter individual medley combining the four--and if track had more relays--then there would be a way to to make more suitable "apples to apples" comparisons between track and swimming based on numbers of medals. As the sports are currently structured, measuring accomplishments between sports in terms of medals won is just plain silly.

MP and UB have both changed the perception and interest in their sports, and raised the bar in terms of new levels of performance within their sport at the Olympics. But in terms of "quantum jumps" or "paradigm changes," even though both have changed their sports, UB's quntum leap beyond past performances is larger. If someone would have predicted on 1-01-2008 that UB (or someone else) would win and run the times that he did, as compared to MP's swimming accomplishents, most folks would agree that both are unlikely, but that UB's accomplishments were much more unlikely ( as in "out there in T&F fantasyland").

But it is, obviously, an apples to oranges comparison of two paradigm-shifting sets of performances.

Comment

I wrote a letter yesterday to Sports Illustrated plugging Usain over Michael for their Sportsman of the Year. Phelps is a foregon conclusion, but maybe if Bolt chops the 100 record down to, say, 9.58, he might get at least an "others considered" plug.

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
        I wrote a letter yesterday to Sports Illustrated plugging Usain over Michael for their Sportsman of the Year. Phelps is a foregon conclusion, but maybe if Bolt chops the 100 record down to, say, 9.58, he might get at least an "others considered" plug.
        at least a "faces in the crowd" blurb....

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
          Originally posted by mike renfro
          at least a "faces in the crowd" blurb....
          Speaking of CROWDS, I like the way the article ignored the fact that public gatherings have been one of the staples of every modern-day Olympics...at the kiosks, Centennial Parks & video screens, but they were totally missing from Beijing because a totalitarian state was afraid of protests!!

Props to the Chinese people & athletes for being great hosts...death to the Chinese government for being fascists!! :evil:

Comment

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/ ... 4380.shtml

phelps got 18 months probation here...

did NBC ever mention it...

drinking and driving....lucky he didn't kill anyone....

don't tell me american media doesn't censor itself..

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
              http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/08/national/main654380.shtml

I'm pretty sure that the mentioned it...back in 2004 when it happened

Comment

it was & he spent time going around schools warning youngsters against DUI as part of his sentence

he served his time...

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
                  http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/08/national/main654380.shtml

It was definately mentioned by the major news outlets. But sometimes those who live with blinders on do not see or pay attention and then make themselves look like fools with comments like these.

Comment

Originally posted by Gebfan2
                    I agree Dr. Jay.

If track had the "100 meter freestyle run," the "100 meter two-legged hop," the "100 meter skip," and the "100 meter backpedal," and a 400 meter individual medley combining the four--and if track had more relays--then there would be a way to to make more suitable "apples to apples" comparisons between track and swimming based on numbers of medals. As the sports are currently structured, measuring accomplishments between sports in terms of medals won is just plain silly.

MP and UB have both changed the perception and interest in their sports, and raised the bar in terms of new levels of performance within their sport at the Olympics. But in terms of "quantum jumps" or "paradigm changes," even though both have changed their sports, UB's quntum leap beyond past performances is larger. If someone would have predicted on 1-01-2008 that UB (or someone else) would win and run the times that he did, as compared to MP's swimming accomplishents, most folks would agree that both are unlikely, but that UB's accomplishments were much more unlikely ( as in "out there in T&F fantasyland").

But it is, obviously, an apples to oranges comparison of two paradigm-shifting sets of performances.

Quantum leap? He broke MJs world record by .02? And he showed lots of attitude doing so.

MP was a graceful winner and very complimentary of his opponents. If track wants a better public image then perhaps athletes such as UB should show much better sportsmanship than to call so much attention to themselves as to start showboating in a 100M final. And folks on these boards wonder some of the reasons why the average fan is now more interested in swimming than T&F?

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
                      MP was a graceful winner and very complimentary of his opponents. If track wants a better public image then perhaps athletes such as UB should show much better sportsmanship than to call so much attention to themselves as to start showboating in a 100M final. And folks on these boards wonder some of the reasons why the average fan is now more interested in swimming than T&F?
                      Bolt doesn't seem to have any problems getting along with his competitors off the track, and if they don't have a problem with him, why should you? As for swimming being more popular than track and field, that's news to me. Does swimming have a professional circuit, similar to the Golden League and Grand Prix track and field meets in Europe, that fill up soccer stadiums and pay athletes 5 and 6 figure appearance fees?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                        Bolt doesn't seem to have any problems getting along with his competitors off the track, and if they don't have a problem with him, why should you? As for swimming being more popular than track and field, that's news to me. Does swimming have a professional circuit, similar to the Golden League and Grand Prix track and field meets in Europe, that fill up soccer stadiums and pay athletes 5 and 6 figure appearance fees?
                        YEAH!! its like saying Gymnastics is more popular than football after the whole kerry strugg heroics. People are just confusing the American "make or break" media appeal with professional viability in the respective sports.

Comment

Well, I am sorry I was not clearer, but since we were talking about the Olympics I was discussing the average fan and there have been articles posted on this board which discussed swimming passing track as far as viewers are concerned. Go read them and other news articles if you like.

Why should I have a problem with Bolt's behavior? When you compare sportsmanship between MP and UB, what sells better for their sports? The hip hop in your face, look at what I have done mentality or the acting more gracious to you opponents and "I feel honored to win". What sells better to that average Joe sitting on their couch?

When people see someone like Jon Drummond laying on a track acting like a baby for 10 minutes, or Carl Lewis making up another 10 excuses about why he didn't win, or Justin Gatlin and Marion Jones lie through their teeth about drugs then the sport starts is going to lose the interest of the casual fan and that makes it worse for the sport and for the rest of us die hards who would like more coverage.

Comment

Well, I am sorry I was not clearer, but since we were talking about the Olympics I was discussing the average fan and there have been articles posted on this board which discussed swimming passing track as far as viewers are concerned. Go read them and other news articles if you like.
                            Swimming's supposedly superior TV ratings when compared to track and field during the Olympics are mainly attributable to four things that I can see:
                            • 1) Phelps is an American; Bolt is a foreigner
                              2) Before the Olympics, Phelps was a household name who got hyped to death by NBC, while Bolt was a complete unknown to everyone except hardcore track fans.
                              3) Swimming was shown live, while track and field was taped delayed by 12 hours or more.
                              4) Phelps is White, Bolt is Black.

Why should I have a problem with Bolt's behavior? When you compare sportsmanship between MP and UB, what sells better for their sports? The hip hop in your face, look at what I have done mentality or the acting more gracious to you opponents and "I feel honored to win". What sells better to that average Joe sitting on their couch?

When people see someone like Jon Drummond laying on a track acting like a baby for 10 minutes, or Carl Lewis making up another 10 excuses about why he didn't win, or Justin Gatlin and Marion Jones lie through their teeth about drugs then the sport starts is going to lose the interest of the casual fan and that makes it worse for the sport and for the rest of us die hards who would like more coverage.
                            I'm old-school like you. I'm nostalgic for the days of Jim Brown and Gale Sayers, when they would just lay the football on the ground after scoring a touchdown, despite the fact that they were a little before my time. On the other hand, Muhammad Ali is my favorite athlete of all-time and I found his buffoonery very entertaining. Do I wish Bolt hadn't acted the fool? Yes. Was I offended by Bolt's antics? No. Call me crazy, but I'm willing to cut a little slack for a 21-year-old, who just had two of the three greatest performances in the history of the sport according to the IAAF scoring tables. However, I was offended by Martyn Rooney's taunting in the 4x400 semifinals.

Finally, I think it's really unfortunate that you would even compare Bolt's antics to the doping and lying of Marion Jones and Justin Gatlin.

Comment

4) Phelps is White, Bolt is Black.[/list]

Finally, I think it's really unfortunate that you would even compare Bolt's antics to the doping and lying of Marion Jones and Justin Gatlin.
                              First, That racial comment is a bit much and I think we should leave that crap off these boards.

Secondly, like before, I maybe did not have enough time and space to clarify, but I was not trying to compare Bolt's sportsmanship issues with the drug users, but rather use them as examples as to why T&F is losing popularity, as in when the biggest stars cause the sport grief. Whether a drug bust (especially in the case of Gatlin when he goes to schools to talk about the use of drugs and then gets caught) or bad behavior while winning, i.e. perhaps Bolt and Rooney (in a semi no less). They all can be and are damaging to the sport.

Comment

Working...
                              X