Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Usain Bolt lightning fast?

Genetics, training, drugs, dope, yams, McNuggets, Slavery, no NFL scouts, grass tracks or rusty weights?

Pick your parent's genes well...

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation ... in-bo.html

Ranking the top 7 reasons

1. genetics
    2. attitude (incl. 'ability' to work hard)
    3. genetics
    4. living in Jamaica which treasures the sprints
    5. genetics
    6. coaching
    7. genetics

Coaching entails the whole support system, but mostly someone who is fully invested in the athlete.

Comment

cladthin's take is that Bolt has mastered a complex and complicated athletic skill, involving precise coordination, applied biomechanics, and so forth. Something like that.

I think Marlow has it about right. I always liked Alan Webb's explanation a few years ago, when he refused to make excuses for one of his blunders. He said (I quote from memory), "Running is real simple, actually. You just put one foot in front of the other." :wink:

Comment

Sprinting is not quite as simple as that. Starting, speed transfer, and technique are not as cut and dry as it might seem. My take is that we are blessed to be able to watch a sprinter with the seemingly effortless stride of an African middle distance runner. His gift is that he makes moving that fast seem much easier than I know it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Ranking the top 7 reasons

1. genetics
          2. attitude (incl. 'ability' to work hard)
          3. genetics
          4. living in Jamaica which treasures the sprints
          5. genetics
          6. coaching
          7. genetics

Coaching entails the whole support system, but mostly someone who is fully invested in the athlete.
          I'm in line with Marlow:

1. genetics
          2. genetics
          3. genetics
          4. genetics
          5. genetics
          6. genetics
          7. the other stuff Marlow mentioned
          "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Originally posted by George P.
            cladthin's take is that Bolt has mastered a complex and complicated athletic skill, involving precise coordination, applied biomechanics, and so forth. Something like that.

I think Marlow has it about right. I always liked Alan Webb's explanation a few years ago, when he refused to make excuses for one of his blunders. He said (I quote from memory), "Running is real simple, actually. You just put one foot in front of the other." :wink:
            While there may be technique training, I agree that there is no complex skill learned like with pole vault, hurdles, any number of other track events.
            I remember and like the Webb quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
              Sprinting is not quite as simple as that. Starting, speed transfer, and technique are not as cut and dry as it might seem.
              Tell that to Houston McTear.

[He ran a 9.0y (9.30y = 10.1x) as a HS kid with virtually nothing but natural talent.]

Comment

Before McTear, there was a successful sprinter named Charlie Greene. I believe he set a WR in the 100m at Mexico City. Charlie was one of the earlier ones to create a “brand” for himself as an athlete. His trademark dark shades and silent visage were well known at the time. Also known was his claim that he didn’t train. Really! How truthful that claim was I never discovered, but he obviously wasn’t a training fanatic. And he set a WR! Hard to argue with that.

Comment

In today's Union-Trib, sports writer Nick Canepa has a weekly "Take Five" column. Today's #5: "The IOC reveals that Usain Bolt has tested postivie for 'fastness', a substance banned only in the United States". :shock:

Comment

Working...
                  X