Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanjiru's Oly win - greatest marathon ever?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanjiru's Oly win - greatest marathon ever?

I say yes. Unbelievable pace under the conditions.
    yes
    0%
    no
    0%
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Greatest men's, yes.

Greatest women's goes to Joanie, hands down.

Comment

Yes. I posted a question on the other board about how much time the conditions and having no rabbits cost Wanjiru.

I'm baffled to think what he would have run with ideal weather conditions and rabbits.
      "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Originally posted by onyourmarktf
        Greatest men's, yes.

Greatest women's goes to Joanie, hands down.
        Sorry, I am a great Joanie fan (and even shared two PRs to the second with her at one time), but 2:15:25 is the one performance that I think is better than the recent race as well as all other womens races.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
          Yes. I posted a question on the other board about how much time the conditions and having no rabbits cost Wanjiru.

I'm baffled to think what he would have run with ideal weather conditions and rabbits.
          drafting in behind wabbit for 1/2 distance can offer you ideally ~ 1'00

so that gets him down to mid-2"05

conditions are impossible to account for

Comment

I think Wanjiru will answer that question himself if he is able to break the WR in the next months or years.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
              Originally posted by Mellow Johnny

drafting in behind wabbit for 1/2 distance can offer you ideally ~ 1'00

so that gets him down to mid-2"05

conditions are impossible to account for
              It was a phalanx of 6 wabbits, and to think that the conditions do not account for at least one and probably several minutes belies the observation that all of the big city marathons select a season other than summer.

Comment

[quote="onyourmarktf"]Greatest men's, yes.

Bikila......Rome........No Shoes!

Comment

wanjiru for sure...

he and benoit took it hard early....

a dozen or so went with him, it whittled down as the miles progressed..

merga actually made a move to try to break wanjiru, only to probably cost himself a medal..

OG record by 3 minutes....

Comment

I'm with leatherlung2, the greatest men's marathon so far has to be Abebe Bikila in Rome - barefoot, in similar conditions, without the training knowledge we have now. But I'd put Wanjiru second, and superior to Gebreselassie's WR.

Maybe I'm biased, but the greatest women's marathon is clearly Paula Radcliffe's 2:15.25. Prior to Paula, London was not considered the best place to run a WR, Berlin or Rotterdam was.

I don't mind if women use men as pacemakers (like Paula & Kristiansen) as they've still got to run the distance, but I'm not a fan of having a wall of 6 in front of you.

Comment

When voting here, remember Abebe Bakila; both is wins were extraordinary, although part of the latter was the complication of his health problem right before that led many to think he would not be there or not be a factor.

Comment

Working...
                      X