Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is the last time a US man medalled over 400 M?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When is the last time a US man medalled over 400 M?

    I'm too busy at the moment to look it up. When is the last time any American male T&F athlete medalled in a running event over 400 meters? Which event was it? Guessing it was the 800 M. And when was the last time an American man medalled in the OGs over 800 M?

  • #2
    2004 Marathon, Silver Medal

    Comment


    • #3
      uh, 2004 men's marathon

      Comment


      • #4
        Not that long ago

        2004 Olympics. Meb Keflezighi, marathon.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Not that long ago

          Originally posted by trackhead
          2004 Olympics. Meb Keflezighi, marathon.
          Besides him.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Not that long ago

            Originally posted by BillVol
            Originally posted by trackhead
            2004 Olympics. Meb Keflezighi, marathon.
            Besides him.
            No love for the marathon or Meb?

            Before him, J Gray, bronze 800m, 1992.

            Comment


            • #7
              Love 'em both.

              OK, when last time medal by men over 800 M?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BillVol
                Love 'em both.

                OK, when last time medal by men over 800 M?
                At the Olympics:
                Brian Deimer, bronze, 3000mSC '84. His coach had another bronze medalist this past week, tooo.

                Comment


                • #9
                  some dates

                  Last American man:

                  800: Johnny Gray, 1992, bronze. Last gold was Wottle in '72.
                  1500: Jim Ryun, 1968, silver. Last gold was Mel Shepperd, 1908.
                  5000: Bob Schul, 1964, gold.
                  10000: Billy Mills, 1964, gold.
                  3000mSC: Brian Deimer, 1984, bronze. Last gold was Horace Ashenfelter, 1952.
                  Marathon: Meb Keflezighi, 2004, silver. Last gold was Shorter, 1972.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: some dates

                    Originally posted by trackhead
                    Last American man:

                    800: Johnny Gray, 1992, bronze. Last gold was Wottle in '72.
                    1500: Jim Ryun, 1968, silver. Last gold was Mel Shepperd, 1908.
                    5000: Bob Schul, 1964, gold.
                    10000: Billy Mills, 1964, gold.
                    3000mSC: Brian Deimer, 1984, bronze. Last gold was Horace Ashenfelter, 1952.
                    Marathon: Meb Keflezighi, 2004, silver. Last gold was Shorter, 1972.

                    I knew someone was going to mention Mills and that would cause in involuntary reaction of me keying back to youtube and then into a frenzy.
                    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So how do we improve on this? Maybe the only thing that motivates Americans to do anything is the almighty dollar. What if Nike said they would give $1M to any runner who medalled at a distance of 800M and/or above? I'll bet that would get the attention of high school runners. What if Nike offered $5M to any runner who won a gold medal at these distances? What about $10M to any American who set a WR at a distance of 800 and above? There would be a bunch of foreigners who would want to become naturalized American citizens, so we'd have to make some rules.

                      We have the talent. Right now we have the talent. Dathan has it. But we need something to get us over the hump.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BillVol
                        So how do we improve on this? Maybe the only thing that motivates Americans to do anything is the almighty dollar. What if Nike said they would give $1M to any runner who medalled at a distance of 800M and/or above? I'll bet that would get the attention of high school runners. What if Nike offered $5M to any runner who won a gold medal at these distances? What about $10M to any American who set a WR at a distance of 800 and above? There would be a bunch of foreigners who would want to become naturalized American citizens, so we'd have to make some rules.

                        We have the talent. Right now we have the talent. Dathan has it. But we need something to get us over the hump.
                        Bekele and a few of the other Ethiopians have an engine that just can't be beaten right now. Especially at 10000m. That's not to say that others can't get in the medals. But if he's in good shape, it's pretty much impossible to beat him. And no amount of money can change someone else's physiology (legally).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: When is the last time a US man medalled over 400 M?

                          Originally posted by BillVol
                          I'm too busy at the moment to look it up. When is the last time any American male T&F athlete medalled in a running event over 400 meters? Which event was it? Guessing it was the 800 M. And when was the last time an American man medalled in the OGs over 800 M?
                          Must you use "medal" as a verb? Can't people win medals anymore?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: When is the last time a US man medalled over 400 M?

                            Originally posted by fez
                            []

                            Must you use "medal" as a verb? Can't people win medals anymore?
                            PIcky, picky, picky,,,,, we don't even penalize the resident TOE for such minor transgressions

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: When is the last time a US man medalled over 400 M?

                              US citizen Bernard Lagat was second in the 1500 in '04.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X