X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by guru
    W..... Those coaches have two jobs - make sure the relays are drilled and ready, and make sure everyone gets their competition bibs.

Uh, hmm, well.....
    VERY good!

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    With all the high school talent that is available in that state, a crash test dummy could coach Texas to multiple NCAA team championships. So far, Thornton hasn't.

BUT, he is the prototypical USATF national team coach, no doubt about that. Those coaches have two jobs - make sure the relays are drilled and ready, and make sure everyone gets their competition bibs.

Uh, hmm, well.....

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Oh, trackstar, any comments about Bubba, coach of your alma mater?

Leave a comment:

• marndar
    replied
    Bubba Thornton was coach of Jamaica northwest at TCU and pretty much had nothing but Caribbean sprinters (and a few Americans). How he even got the Texas job is beyond me and they've done pretty much nothing (by Texas standards) since he's been at the Forty Acres. They've had a few decent high jumpers, decathletes and pole vaulters. And in the last year or two, they've developed a couple of decent middle distance runners.

Bubba is a good old boy in a day where the good old boy system of coaching is dead. He underperformed at the 2003 WC and was the asst. coach of the under-performing 2000 Olympic team. It's a shame he was named head coach of the Olympic team to begin with, and it's even more of a shame that he would have done that to McConnell.

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied
    The article was obviously more about Arkansas-Texas than McDonnell - Thornton, but the question raised elsewhere here about the beatings Irv Hunt and others have received vs. this staff is interesting.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by jhc68
    If the column is true it begs the questions of when this rule about not coaching foreign athletes was formulated and why. Which elite American coach has not coached foreign athletes? Should we also bar foreigners from coaching American teams? (These are rhetorical questions :lol: ) The whole concept is bizarre in the 21st century.
    I think the rule only covers coaches who will actively be helping foreign athletes at the Games in question.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    If the column is true it begs the questions of when this rule about not coaching foreign athletes was formulated and why. Which elite American coach has not coached foreign athletes? Should we also bar foreigners from coaching American teams? (These are rhetorical questions :lol: ) The whole concept is bizarre in the 21st century.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Texas and Arkansas are, of course, old, bitter Southwest Conference rivals, though. And the bitterness lives on to this day.

What a column. I was wondering how Bubba Thornton's name had escaped these message boards during the OGs. Poor Mel Rosen was raked over the coals before and during Atlanta because of some relay team picks (only to be vindicated by gold medals, as I recall). But nobody has blamed Bubba for anything until today's column.

Edit: Rosen was coach at Barcelona OGs.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    The article is clearly a hatchet job and many of our team's shortcomings cannot be blamed on the Head Coach, but there are obviously enough kernels of truth in there to make me question Thornton's leadership.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Coming from the coach that complained furiously that Bev had a slightly larger office than him when the UT track stadium was built, it's not surprising.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    I had heard this several months ago, seemed to do with coaching several ex-UA athletes that were non-USA. It did not improve my opinion of BT.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    started a topic And Arkansas Isn't Even In The Big 12

And Arkansas Isn't Even In The Big 12

See new story on front page which says that Bubba Thornton forced John McDonnell out of Olympic coaching spot.
Working...
X