Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Pay-Day for Kenyan Medalists

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008- ... 715497.htm

A total of 22.5 million shillings (about 330,000 U.S. dollars) will be dished out to the medalists who finished 15th overall in the medal standings of the Beijing Olympic Games, having won five gold, five silver and four bronze medals.

Re: Nice Pay-Day for Kenyan Medalists

Originally posted by EPelle
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/26/content_9715497.htm

A total of 22.5 million shillings (about 330,000 U.S. dollars) will be dished out to the medalists who finished 15th overall in the medal standings of the Beijing Olympic Games, having won five gold, five silver and four bronze medals.
    Which is nice, but bearing in mind they, as well as many other distance running nations, employ team tactics - sacrificing one athlete to ensure another gets a medal (for example the Kenyans tactics for the mens 5km) - I can't help but feel for those who don't get a medal but run a race that ensures others from their country will. Do they also get some sort of pay-day?

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames
      http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/26/content_9715497.htm

Which is nice, but bearing in mind they, as well as many other distance running nations, employ team tactics - sacrificing one athlete to ensure another gets a medal (for example the Kenyans tactics for the mens 5km) - I can't help but feel for those who don't get a medal but run a race that ensures others from their country will. Do they also get some sort of pay-day?
      I agree and hope that, like in the Tour, that an athlete who wins a medal pays those teammates who helped him/her. However, Longosiwa either didn't do the job he was supposed to as he did nothing to help Kipchoge and Soi in the 5K final or the team tactics discussed by the coach in the paper were never part of the plan in the first place.
      "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

[/quote]

That's not THAT much money when you divide it among 14 people. A lot of NOC's (including ours) paid out much higher bonuses.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Powell, it is, actually. Polish employees earn higher than Kenyans.

Comment

Powell, it is, actually. Polish employees earn higher than Kenyans.
            I'm sure they do, but the Kenyan Olympic medalists make good money on the GP circuit, and the money they received for winning medals may not be more than they make in a typical race on the circuit.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I:m glad they were rewarded with an equal pay for what the Federation had the potential from keeping them from earning whilst they were harnessed in for camp instead of competition.

Comment

Working...
              X