Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tirunesh boring?

On the front page, there's a link to an article by Pat Butcher in which he berates Tirunesh Dibaba for not leading. He refers to her "...lack of courage and initiative and self-respect...".

Here's the comment I left on the site:

"Kenenisa ran the 5000 the way he needed to, fearing the finishing sprint of Bernard Lagat. Tirunesh is under no obligation to you or anyone else to run her races other than she sees fit. You display ignorance when you say “women she knows she can beat”, because she actually has a losing record, lifetime, against Meseret Defar, who also held the world record until Dibaba broke it. Defar beat her in the 2004 Olympics 5K, and also beat her in 2006 in a race that knocked Dibaba out of the running for the “Golden League” jackpot. If Dibaba can outkick the other runners, then it is up to THEM, not her, to set a fast pace to try to either drop her or tire her so she cannot sprint at the end. Abeylegesse tried that in Osaka last summer in the 10K and again in Beijing. She failed.

You question her courage. Did you see last summer’s 10K? She was suffering from a stomach ailment, and she also was involved in an accident during the race and nearly fell. She dropped well back from the entire pack. I thought she was going to drop out, but she gutted it out, caught back up, and won the race, despite Abeylegesse’s excellent effort. It was one of the most remarkable, courageous efforts I have ever seen, and I have been following Athletics since 1960.

Not only that, but your English sucks!
    it’s = “it is”
    its = belonging to “it”
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA"

Cheers,
    Alan Shank

While I enjoy watching an athlete push the pace and control the race, there are others who know their best chance for victory comes from allowing others to carry the pace for them. It is up to the athlete to decide what works best for them. Why should anyone be disappointed in that? Your comments are spot on, Alan, as usual.

Comment

Thanx for defending Baby face Alan!
      phsstt!

Comment

Dibaba's stategy may be smart, but it's not the most entertaining. Abeylegesse, Bekele, and even Flanagan, were much more enjoyable to watch than Dibaba. The day after the women's 5000 final, even the IAAF's website took a shot at her Dibaba with the title Tirunesh Dibaba plays ‘follow the leader’ again.

http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=103 ... 47292.html

Comment

baby face is engaged to Sihine?!?!?!?!?!?! How did I not know this?!

Their children will rule the world!

Comment

[quote="jazzcyclist"]Dibaba's stategy may be smart, but it's not the most entertaining. quote]

Very true but all that really matters is that gold medal. Also Dibaba assumed there would be a barn burning and exciting last 400 against Defar, which never happened.

Watching Baby face push all alone for the last couple laps in her world record was incredibly entertaining.
            phsstt!

Comment

Why would Dibaba want to do the pacemaking in the Beijing 5000m final and potentially risk getting outkicked by Defar? Bekele probably had to push the pace to neutralise the finishing speed of Lagat.
              http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
                Why would Dibaba want to do the pacemaking in the Beijing 5000m final and potentially risk getting outkicked by Defar? Bekele probably had to push the pace to neutralise the finishing speed of Lagat.
                Well said.
                phsstt!

Comment

She has set a new WR, she has won ultra slow races, she was won super fast races, she was won every major race in the last three years and it absolutely stuns me how someone could criticize her for what she was and is doing. Dominance doesn't equal to boring, at least not in my eyes.

Comment

Re: Tirunesh boring?

Originally posted by Alan Shank
                    On the front page, there's a link to an article by Pat Butcher in which he berates Tirunesh Dibaba for not leading. He refers to her "...lack of courage and initiative and self-respect...".

Here's the comment I left on the site:

"Kenenisa ran the 5000 the way he needed to, fearing the finishing sprint of Bernard Lagat. Tirunesh is under no obligation to you or anyone else to run her races other than she sees fit. You display ignorance when you say “women she knows she can beat”, because she actually has a losing record, lifetime, against Meseret Defar, who also held the world record until Dibaba broke it. Defar beat her in the 2004 Olympics 5K, and also beat her in 2006 in a race that knocked Dibaba out of the running for the “Golden League” jackpot. If Dibaba can outkick the other runners, then it is up to THEM, not her, to set a fast pace to try to either drop her or tire her so she cannot sprint at the end. Abeylegesse tried that in Osaka last summer in the 10K and again in Beijing. She failed.

You question her courage. Did you see last summer’s 10K? She was suffering from a stomach ailment, and she also was involved in an accident during the race and nearly fell. She dropped well back from the entire pack. I thought she was going to drop out, but she gutted it out, caught back up, and won the race, despite Abeylegesse’s excellent effort. It was one of the most remarkable, courageous efforts I have ever seen, and I have been following Athletics since 1960.

Not only that, but your English sucks!
                    it’s = “it is”
                    its = belonging to “it”
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    Woodland, CA, USA"

Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    Butcher is usually an "entertaining" writer. I agree with most of your observations. Though one would like all races to be fast (and may the best person win), this is very often not the case - especially in major Championships. Jelimo is undoubtedly the find of the season on the women's side.

Comment

Originally posted by ponytayne

BE AFRAID!!!

Thee very thought makes me so excited.

Comment

Before I saw your thread on here I posted something similar only far shorter and less eloquent.

How anyone could fin The Baby Faces Destroyer boring is beyond me.

She's my favourite athlete in the world!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy

BE AFRAID!!!

Tiru, no! I thought we had something special! :cry:

Anyway, the whole idea of judging HOW a runner runs when he/she wins is absolutely stupid. Not ignorant, mind you. STUPID. Now, if they lose, one may critique their strategy, but to say the winner lacked courage is stupid.

Comment

Tiru is not boring.
                            This from a major Defar fan.
                            Meseret stumbled in the Olypic final, that seemed to take it out of her. No one was beating Tiru that day though.
                            why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden
                              Originally posted by Flumpy

BE AFRAID!!!

Tiru, no! I thought we had something special! :cry:

Anyway, the whole idea of judging HOW a runner runs when he/she wins is absolutely stupid. Not ignorant, mind you. STUPID. Now, if they lose, one may critique their strategy, but to say the winner lacked courage is stupid.
                              Your right. Why is B.F. respondsible for the pace? What about all the other "boring joggers"? They get a pass and this dude disses B.F.!
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X