out of the 3, ana had most 800 talent

she cracked 1'55 twice in major televised meets

her 800 ability was better than other 2

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick

Other 2 being Mutola and Masterkova, one of those two and Formanova, or one of those two and Holmes? (I'm supposing you don't mean Benhassi, and are disregarding Ceplak.)

Comment

Originally posted by andyjgt
        Originally posted by eldrick

Other 2 being Mutola and Masterkova
        yup, others coudn't carry ana's sports bra

however, svetly had possibly unknown potential as she only chased time once really seriously - her 1'55.87 in ruskie in '96

trying calc

http://www.jundo.co.uk/

her 4'12.56 mile offers some insight with possible 400 times

call her mile ability that day 4'11.5 - 4'12.0 as she sprinted banshee-esque off a 3'56.77 split ( a derisory 4'14.03 pace )

no idea of her 400 ability at the time, but an 800 og champ requires 51 - 53s speed at worst

4'11.5 - 4'12.0

with

53.0 -> ~ 1'55.47 - 1'55.59

52.0 -> ~ 1'54.47 - 1'54.59

51.0 -> ~ 1'53.47 - 1'53.59

my gut is telling me that middle line looks about right ( but we need even a sliver of 400 info )

in her absolutely perfect 800, she may have gone mid-1'54, but that's not as good as ana who went 1'54.4 in a "non-perfect" race"

Comment

As a minor clarification to my previous post: I do not necessarily
          consider Jelimo the GOAT (although I understand anyone who does),
          merely better than Mutola.

As for who the 800m GOAT is from my POV: I know too little of the event
          pre-Krato to answer that. However, of the top of my head, I would rate
          Krato, Olizarenko, Quirot, and possibly Melinte or Wodars ahead of
          Mutola---quite possibly a few others too. It is noteworthy that very
          many of the other top runners never explored their potential fully
          (whereas Mutola did): Krato had a brief experiment and obliterated the
          competition, Quirot had that horrifying fire accident that put her back
          severely, Melinte, Masterkova, and several others did the 800/1500
          combo.

Comment

shoud offer mutola some defense

i don't remember the '94 zurich race of hers ( i only remember morceli's astonshing 13'03 with 51 last lap, where it was obvious he wouda demolished the 5k wr with better pacing ), but pj recalling the vid, said it was in inclement conditions & she was worth a lot better than her 1'55.19pb

i'd take some names off your list bearing this in mind

Comment

maria 94 zurich

94 zurich race was in pouring rain.

no opposition for mutola to run against (so, like jelimo i guess). but no competent pacemaker either (plug pulled on scheduled pacemaker ella kovacs due to drugs positive).

may not be relevant to GOAT discussion, but let's see what pamela is doing in 2020. since 1991 maria has beaten 1:58 in all but one year.

Comment

big weather change in minutes as morceli had no such

Comment

Clearly no one without the WR is going to be the GOAT based on one season -- absolutely wrong point in time.

- Won 7(+/-) races lifetime
                  - Won one OG medal,
                  - no WC medals,
                  - 3rd on AT list (no WRs)
                  - Run under 2:05 one season (a guess)
                  - no other marks at other distances of note

She is very good and might end up as GOAT - in 5-10 years.

Comment

she was puffed out today

how about, if WR next year

good enough for GOAT ?

Comment

What a quality field. Olympic champ Lagat and world champ Jamal sharing a lane!?

Comment

Some farewell facts on Mutola:

It was 20 summers ago that a 15-year-old Mutola made her Olympic debut in Seoul, where she was eliminated in the heats. Between then and now she has been an Olympic gold medallist, 10-times World champion, and much more besides.
                        In Beijing, she became the first athlete to contest five successive Olympic track finals; she was the first athlete to win four individual World Cup titles; she holds a record seven World Indoor titles.
                        However, perhaps most remarkable of allis her 17-year ever-present record at Olympics and World Championships. She hasn’t missed one, indoors or out, from the 1991 outdoor World Championships through to the Beijing Olympics, an unbroken run of 23 tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
                          Suddenly, Jarmila & Nadezhda don't look so uncatchable :shock:
                          Yup, if Jelimo travels to Rieti next week, who knows what's going to happen? :shock:

Yesterday she finally seemed to find something close to her optimal pace. No more crazy low-55s on the first lap, this time it was around 56.0, I believe (Klyuka was timed at 55.66). And she was able to maintain the 29-per-200 pace for the entire second lap (actually, 400-to-600 was just outside 29, but 600-to-800 was 28.89).
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Jelimo:s "secret" has been driving hard in that middle 400m, from 200m to 600m, as Powell stated. Soboleva has mastered that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                              Yup, if Jelimo travels to Rieti next week, who knows what's going to happen? :shock:

Yesterday she finally seemed to find something close to her optimal pace. No more crazy low-55s on the first lap, this time it was around 56.0, I believe (Klyuka was timed at 55.66). And she was able to maintain the 29-per-200 pace for the entire second lap (actually, 400-to-600 was just outside 29, but 600-to-800 was 28.89).
                              The w800 aren't scheduled in Rieti this year.

http://www.rietimeeting.com/info/results.html

Comment

Originally posted by Powell

Just looked at the race on youtube. The margins of victory have just been incredible. We are used to seeing the margin by which Coe and Kipketer won their really fast races, but from someone in their first serious year of running. All going well the WR will go next year. I find Jepkosgei's reactions in the races to be very interesting. Can't be easy going from being WC champ one year, to being beaten by 30+ m in races the next year by a total newcomer.

Comment

Working...
                                X