Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruling Bodies Ban Jamaican Food Staples!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruling Bodies Ban Jamaican Food Staples!

See story on front page now!

Not bad....

Comment

In a joint statement issued by the presidents of the World Anti-Doping Agency, International Olympic Committee (IOC), and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the following foods have been placed on the list of banned substances issued by WADA:yam, green bananas, cocoa, dasheen, breadfruit, ackee and saltfish, mackeral run down, turned cornmeal, Jerked pork and chicken, escovietched fish Malta, Supligen, Milo (said to be the food drink of Champions), Horlicks andcoconut oil.
      Ironically real yams do contain steroids, although they are not the perfomance enhancing variety. But I assume the yams above are the sweet potato variety. Certainly it would not surprise me if some plant foods do contain bannned substances.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
        In a joint statement issued by the presidents of the World Anti-Doping Agency, International Olympic Committee (IOC), and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the following foods have been placed on the list of banned substances issued by WADA:yam, green bananas, cocoa, dasheen, breadfruit, ackee and saltfish, mackeral run down, turned cornmeal, Jerked pork and chicken, escovietched fish Malta, Supligen, Milo (said to be the food drink of Champions), Horlicks andcoconut oil.
        Ironically real yams do contain steroids, although they are not the perfomance enhancing variety. But I assume the yams above are the sweet potato variety. Certainly it would not surprise me if some plant foods do contain bannned substances.
        My guess would be that most of them do.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Maybe i should rephrase that to 'contain banned substance at levels that would lead to a positive drug test'.

Comment

the Cassava root, a high fibre, high starch tuber root eaten in
            Jamaica
            cassava is actually a staple of the kenyan diet ( along with ugali which is a type of cornmeal )

they don't eat potatoes very much there & cassava is their "potato"

it's served here in london in "fusion" restaurants & you can pick it up from any "ethnic" grocer

you can cook it yourself ( i sometimes do ) - you just boil it like a potato & when soft, pan-fry it in preferably in some paprika/tabasco ( you can just boil it for healthiest option )

it tastes delicious - a little like a stringier version of potato fries ( but much healthier in terms of higher fibre content - goes long way to getting your recommended 25g fibre/day to prevent colon cancer )

Comment

Two substances which have been discovered in testing of the Jamaican foods are“yamstenine”, a yam derivative and “cocosterone”
              Gots to get me some of that stuff (assuming 'coco' refers to chocolate, not cocaine). Any PEDs with chocolate in it, I'm all for!!

Comment

But what about seamoss. It's very potent.

Comment

Everythign you wanted to know about seamoss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMOS

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Everythign you wanted to know about seamoss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMOS
                    DRIED IRISH / SEA MOSS SEA MOSS

Raw Irish Moss is to Pudding, Cream Pie, Meringue, Whipped Cream, Salad Dressing, Smoothies, Sauces, anything you could want a stable-liquid form for! While gelatin is an animal-derived protein, Irish Moss contains a polysaccharide (a natural form of sugar) which, when thoroughly blended, also disperses throughout a liquid to create a semi-solid structure. In fact, the carrageen found in Irish Moss is used by the mainstream food industry to make jellies, ice creams, dressings and other foods!

In addition to its functional benefits, Raw Irish Moss is an excellent source of minerals. This almost-tasteless seaweed is loaded with life-enhancing nutrients such as sulphur compounds, protein, iodine, bromine, beta-carotene, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, zinc, pectin, B-vitamins and vitamin C. Notably absent from a vegetarian diet, sulphur-containing amino acids, such as taurine, are abundant in Irish moss, more so than in any other type of seaweed!

Healing benefits of Raw Irish Moss are abundant. As a soothing aid to all mucous membranes, Irish Moss eases such digestive ailments as gastritis, dyspepsia, nausea, heartburn, indigestion, constipation, and peptic and duodenal ulcers. Irish Moss also has antibacterial, antiviral, and anticoagulant activities. Used topically, Irish Moss helps to soothe skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, sunburn, and chapped skin.

Source http://www.wifglobal.com/seamoss.htm

Comment

Damn! Y'all are so off base about the food. You need to come to Jamaica.

What a lot of American's call Yam is actually the sweet potato that we eat - a purplish looking tuber. (Ipomoea batatas)

Cassava is not our potato. We eat lot's of "irish" potatoes- the type you make french fries with- and we eat cassava (Manihot esculenta).

Coco is not chocolate. It's a tuber of the elephant ear plant -Xanthosoma

Yellow Yam (Dioscorea cayenensis) is what Usain Bolt eats.

Comment

Originally posted by rogimon
                        Yellow Yam (Dioscorea cayenensis) is what Usain Bolt eats.
                        So he does it the "real" yam.
                        Originally posted by Above I
                        Clearly I assumed wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Originally posted by rogimon
                          Cassava is not our potato
                          i said it was the kenyans' potato

Comment

Re: Ruling Bodies Ban Jamaican Food Staples!

Originally posted by gh
                            See story on front page now!

What's funny is the stereotype of Jamaicans as large quantity pot smokers. Funny--in this case, at least--because marijuana has been proven to supress testosterone production leading to a higher estrogen reading in the body.

Hmmm. Come to think of it, not a bad way to right that testosterone/epitestosterone ratio....! :] <-- KINDLY NOTE!

( :] <-- KINDLY NOTE!)

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                              Originally posted by Daisy

My guess would be that most of them do.
                              You all are aware that this article about the banned foods is a spoof right?

Comment

Working...
                              X