Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The state of U.S. women's 800 running

Beijing was the first OG since Tokyo (’64) without a semifinalist.

We don't have the athletes right now to compete in the 800m. Currently, our 800m runners are for the most part, Mediocre quartermilers. (USA TF doesnt even list a 400m personal best for the 3 women who made the team). I know Miles-Clark was a 49.xx quartermiler. Not that our 800m runners should all have that level of footspeed, but it would definitely help. What we need is some of the women who are currently very good 400m runners, but just short of reaching the ELITE level to consider moving up to the 800m. I think it could make a world of difference.

Comment

Paging Jeremy Wariner...... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        I've been on Wineberg to make that move for 6 years now. Her legspeed compared to other sub-50.3 types(not to mention her build) suggests it would be worth a serious look. Prolly ain't happening.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by Trackfan310
          We don't have the athletes right now to compete in the 800m. Currently, our 800m runners are for the most part, Mediocre quartermilers. (USA TF doesnt even list a 400m personal best for the 3 women who made the team).
          Why should they? According to tilastopaja, Clark has run only 4 400's in her long career. Schmidt and Teter have never run the event at all. They are more 800/1500 types than 400/800.

I know Miles-Clark was a 49.xx quartermiler. Not that our 800m runners should all have that level of footspeed, but it would definitely help. What we need is some of the women who are currently very good 400m runners, but just short of reaching the ELITE level to consider moving up to the 800m. I think it could make a world of difference.
          If you think that 800/1500 types can't excel at the shorter distance, I would cite Coe, Ovett, Holmes, Masterkova, and Kazankina as evidence that you don't have to be a 400 runner moving up to win Olympic medals at 800m.

Comment

Re: The state of U.S. women's 800 running

Originally posted by gh
            Beijing was the first OG since Tokyo (’64) without a semifinalist.
            There are promising young (HS girls) and boys here, so not all is lost.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              ... or Ruth Wysocki, who hit this one square-on following the Trials.

Comment

I've long thought Dee Dee Trotter should be getting the Wariner treatment.
                She's much more a strength runner than a pure sprinter and has the size for an international 800 meter runner. If she started now, by London she could be a real force. Past her, there is some good young talent, Alysia Johnson, Rebecca Noble and Preps Price and Roesler. Still, it's got to be a bit intimidating for these ladies to see an 18 year old Kenyans running 1:54, and know there are probably a lot more like her out there.

Comment

price got kim gallaghers records at 800..

and since kim was two bronze at 800, i'd give channele price a chance to do well

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
                    If you think that 800/1500 types can't excel at the shorter distance, I would cite Coe, Ovett, Holmes, Masterkova, and Kazankina as evidence that you don't have to be a 400 runner moving up to win Olympic medals at 800m.

Coe was an elite 1500m runner, not just "Competitve", thus he had the strength and speed to step down and be competitve. Same is the case with JW. He can step down to the 200m and not look foolish (Bolt notwithstanding). Our women 800m runners don't fall into this category. Hazel (and I am a fan of Hazel, I was on a team with her) has a PR of 4:16 in the 1500. That time wouldn't even make the IAAF list. I do not know the PR's of the other two women for comparison in the 1500.

Comment

and since kim was two bronze at 800, i'd give channele price a chance to do well
                      Silver and Bronze wasn't it?

Comment

Hazel (and I am a fan of Hazel, I was on a team with her) has a PR of 4:16 in the 1500. That time wouldn't even make the IAAF list. I do not know the PR's of the other two women for comparison in the 1500.
                        Teter - 4:04.19
                        Schmidt - 4:08.89

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy

Silver and Bronze wasn't it?
                          Yes, it was.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                            Originally posted by gh
                            I've been on Wineberg to make that move for 6 years now. Her legspeed compared to other sub-50.3 types(not to mention her build) suggests it would be worth a serious look. Prolly ain't happening.
                            Guru, I remember you telling me Mary hated the 400m in HS back in '96. I agree with you, she probably ain't going to twice the distance :lol:

Comment

Price did not get KG's records. KG ran 2:00.07...Price 2:01.61

Comment

Working...
                              X