Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta
    How did I miss that 1:57.99 from Hazel Clark? Where did she run that, and when?
    Bislett Games, Olso, 2005.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon
      Originally posted by CookyMonzta
      How did I miss that 1:57.99 from Hazel Clark? Where did she run that, and when?
      Bislett Games, Olso, 2005.
      Got it. Three Russians (Andrianova 1:56.91, Kotlyarova 1:57.55 and Cherkasova 1:57.86) all finished ahead of her in that race, and Klyuka (1:58.44) rounded out the sub-2:00s. I don't remember that race, but I'd bet Hazel led at the 400 mark.

Comment

• Natalya Lavshuk, the rabbit, did (55,43). Cherkasova was hot on her heels through that first lap. Clark passed 400m with the Russian trio (I believe just off the pace).

Andrianova breezed past Cherkasova coming off the curve. Kotlyarova passed her as well down the straight.

Comment

• Re: some 400 runners should convert

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
          Some of the usa top 400 runners are good here,but internationally average,but if they took that 400 speed and got a little strength behind them,then you have a great 800 maybe even 1500 runner.
          Steve Ovett springs to mind. He started as a sprinter.

[edit]

Not sure how I missed this thread first time around but given what I just wrote above I found the follow from tandfman amusing.

Originally posted by tandfman
          If you think that 800/1500 types can't excel at the shorter distance, I would cite Coe, Ovett, Holmes, Masterkova, and Kazankina as evidence that you don't have to be a 400 runner moving up to win Olympic medals at 800m.
          Although i then found that Mad Marine was taking my stance.
          Originally posted by Madd Marine
          Btw, didn't Coe start out as a 3k runner and move down? Ovett was a great 400 prospect who was so freakishly strong he moved up, but I was under the impression it was the opposite for Coe.
          As to sex
          Originally posted by Ruth Wysocki
          I don't know what the current protocol is, but in 1984, we had to undergo gender testing before the Olympics. It was the cotton swab sample from the inside of the cheek. I actually have a card proving that I am a female. I don't know how much longer this practice went on, but I do know that in my day, we had to prove we were female.
          Due to Androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS) they no longer use the chromosome test alone to disqualify female athletes. This was covered fairly well in a recent thread when the Indian athlete Santhi Soundarajan was stripped of her silver medal from the Asian games.
          http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=23363

Comment

Working...
          X