3 MERRITT, Lashawn USA
    4 WARINER, Jeremy USA
    5 NEVILLE, David USA
    6 BROWN, Christopher BAH
    7 WISSMAN, Johan SWE
    8 GABA, Kamghe GER

http://www.weltklasse.ch/en/meeting/live.html?ev=mt400

The empire strikes back ?

Merritt had 20 days of non-competition activity between WC and his following race last season (WAF, 44,58). How will he bounce back today?

Wariner had 14 days between his WC anchor leg and his next race, a 44,05 victory at ISTAF.

Comment

Wariner: 43.50
      Merritt: 43.90

or not.

Comment

I wish it was Alekseyev and not Kokorin in lane 1...just to see if he really can (as Jon mentioned on his fantasy GP thread) translate his 43.56 relay leg from Beijing into a European record after he mucked up the OG individual:

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=32814

Comment

Looking forward to this one, fer sure! A lot of dudes in there with something to prove.

Comment

Me too, I'm still puzzled by the two Wariners in Beijing.
            I'm tipping that the semifinal Wariner will turn up tonight, win and go sub 43.8. Which of course will make Beijing even more mysterious...

Comment

Originally posted by andyjgt
              I wish it was Alekseyev and not Kokorin in lane 1...just to see if he really can (as Jon mentioned on his fantasy GP thread) translate his 43.56 relay leg from Beijing into a European record after he mucked up the OG individual:
              We have discussed this. Chances are good that the russians like a few other nations, Poland, AUS, Brits, dont let there fastest guys go all out in the 400m individual. These teams know that they have a good shot at relay medals if their top dog has fresh legs. It is a strategy that has worked time and time again.
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by rumbleyoungmanrumble
                Me too, I'm still puzzled by the two Wariners in Beijing.
                I'm tipping that the semifinal Wariner will turn up tonight, win and go sub 43.8. Which of course will make Beijing even more mysterious...
                If that happens (and I'd love to see it), then the Beijing mystery is solved in my mind. the answer? Pressure. Too much pressure on him(self) in that OG final. JW has not been seriously pushed since 2004! Now Merritt is pushing him hard - and on occasion he loses the race. Without Merritt on the track, JW files, nice and relaxed, to great times. In an adjacent lane and in an OG or OT final, he ties up. Pressure getting to him(?). It's probalby all mental - think Asafa Powell in WC or OG finals vs. at Rieti.

Comment

Originally posted by ponytayne
                  think Asafa Powell in WC or OG finals vs. at Rieti.
                  Agree, relaxation is always the key to great runs. Just think of all the amazing semifinals we have seen in the past. Much easier to run well in a championship semi, from a relaxation perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                    Wariner: 43.50
                    Merritt: 43.90
                    or not.
                    That's exactly how I see it (or as 1 Corinthians: 13 puts it - "For now we see through a glass, darkly.") I have no freakin' idea who's gonna show up that day!

It could be as you say, or the other way around, or they both stink up the joint, stuggling home in mid-44s, cuz they are mentally/physically exhausted by the OG and their own rivalry.

Comment

Both athletes give off the appearance that their "rivalry" is not such a big deal, that the sum of the races is what counts, not each individual meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                        Both athletes give off the appearance that their "rivalry" is not such a big deal, that the sum of the races is what counts, not each individual meeting.
                        Which, of course, belies their own feelings! :wink:

Comment

I'm calling "a lean at the tape". Merrit over Wariner by 2/100ths in the late 43's (somewhere between 43.85 - 43.99); Chris Brown getting 3rd, beating Neville this time around (of course, not in a major) but a distance back from the two Americans...around 44.45.

Was it Zurich where Butch ran his former world record?

Comment

Chris Brown getting 3rd,

Too bad Rooney isn't in the race so Brown can beat him while he's down again! :twisted:
                            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                              Originally posted by andyjgt
                              We have discussed this. Chances are good that the russians like a few other nations, Poland, AUS, Brits, dont let there fastest guys go all out in the 400m individual. These teams know that they have a good shot at relay medals if their top dog has fresh legs. It is a strategy that has worked time and time again.
                              paul

i can't speak for the poles or the russians but i'm pretty sure that if anyone asked one of the aussie or brit runners to dog it in the individual, so as to save themselves for the relay, the athletes concerned would tell them to go get stuffed.

Comment

Working...
                              X