X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paulthefan
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    i think the big surprise is how much faster alekseyev ran in the relay than in the heats of the individual. how did someone improve so much in a few days?
    if you quote someone on an issue you may want to quote their last comment on that issue, else the thread becomes a knot.

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    Originally posted by paulthefan
    We have discussed this. Chances are good that the russians like a few other nations, Poland, AUS, Brits, dont let there fastest guys go all out in the 400m individual. These teams know that they have a good shot at relay medals if their top dog has fresh legs. It is a strategy that has worked time and time again.
    but i wonder, how much rest does an athlete need? i mean, there's a few days in between the 400 finals and the 4x4 final. i think the big surprise is how much faster alekseyev ran in the relay than in the heats of the individual. how did someone improve so much in a few days?

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike67
    The olympic award was already awarded.
    and have not likewise, the Weltklasse flowers?

Leave a comment:

• NormZylstra
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    It's not just the one race. Merritt also won the year's second-biggest race, the OT, and no Euro Circuit race is remotely as big as either of those.

They're currently at 3-3, and even if they ended up with Wariner at a 5-3 advantage, the No. 1 would probably stay with Merritt, given that "honors won" remains the prime determinant in the T&FN Rankings.
    Which is why I read T&F News and discuss the rankings with my athletes. We choose others competing at the same level and we go after them meet after meet with the focus on the 'big' meet.

Leave a comment:

• terry_brooks35@yahoo.com
    replied
    i don;t see wariner breaking the world record,or even threatening it this season.for him to pr he'd have to be within striking distance of the record,and i don;t see that happening either.To this point he's had a pretty good season and i think he should probably concentrate on winning out.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacksf
    Originally posted by gh
    but at this point a PR (or even, I dare say, a WR) almost certainly can't get him No. 1.
    Wariner is hoping otherwise......

“I ran a season’s best,” Wariner said, “and I’m hoping to improve on this race and end on a good note. I want to have the world lead by the end of the season and try to have the No. 1 world ranking. I have two races left to try and do that.”
    A world lead along with a better head to head record vs. Merritt is certainly worth a no. 1 ranking. The Gold is good, but it's only one race!
    It's not just the one race. Merritt also won the year's second-biggest race, the OT, and no Euro Circuit race is remotely as big as either of those.

They're currently at 3-3, and even if they ended up with Wariner at a 5-3 advantage, the No. 1 would probably stay with Merritt, given that "honors won" remains the prime determinant in the T&FN Rankings.

Leave a comment:

• Madd Marine
    replied
    I like Wariner, and think he can come bounce back and dominate for a few more years IF he can go back to some of his "old ways" in terms of training and prep. However, Merritt did beat him at the Olympic Trials and the Olympic Games. Basically Merritt won against the World's Best at the US trials, and then won again against JW and the Best of the Rest of the World in Beijing. I would think LM has #1 wrapped up for this year even if Jeremy beats him again and edges closer to the WR.

Leave a comment:

• Mike67
    replied
    By this reasoning, Neville gets ranked third in the world no matter what!
    good thinking, that is about right... maybe even second place if we consider that he dove across the line leaving everything he had on the track to get it.
    The olympic award was already awarded. The no. 1 ranking entails season long durability and performance. If Wariner wins out and produces a world leading time, it would be "robbery" to deprive him of the 400M title!

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    good thinking, that is about right... maybe even second place if we consider that he dove across the line leaving everything he had on the track to get it.

Leave a comment:

• Mike67
    replied
    A world lead along with a better head to head record vs. Merritt is certainly worth a no. 1 ranking. The Gold is good, but it's only one race!
    yes just like winning elected office is kinda significant but it is only one race.

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    yes just like winning elected office is kinda significant but it is only one race.

Leave a comment:

• Mike67
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacksf
    Originally posted by gh
    but at this point a PR (or even, I dare say, a WR) almost certainly can't get him No. 1.

“I ran a season’s best,” Wariner said, “and I’m hoping to improve on this race and end on a good note. I want to have the world lead by the end of the season and try to have the No. 1 world ranking. I have two races left to try and do that.”

Leave a comment:

• Jacksf
    replied
    Originally posted by gh

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    agree completely, I trust that sane minds will prevail and that one can not get a no. 1 rating finishing near 1 second behind the winner in an Oly. final... even with a WR.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    Is it physically possible for a guy to have a 2 second differential between open and flying 400m runs
    yes it is

a flying run offers anywhere between 0.7 - 1.1s over open race ( i'd like posters to give their numbers )

on my sojourns, someone kindly posted some links which indicates drafing does exist ( i'll look for them ) & you can get 1s there if you "wami" in close enough

that'll give you your 2s

Leave a comment:

Working...
X