Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it a "boring" Zürich?

I didn't watch any of the online/TV stuff, so can only go on the results themselves. Maybe just in comparison with Beijing everything's a bit flat at the moment, but it didn't look like a vintage Z for the books, despite the monstrous collection of talent. ?????

I tend to agree, although it's basically the expectations again. The memories from Beijing are still fresh and we remember how breathtaking some performances were. If this meet was held somewhere before the Olympics or a few weeks from now the expectations would be lower.

Overall I don't think it was boring, but I expected a little better in some events. It looks like fatigue is also setting in, both mentally and physically.

Comment

It would be difficult to compare anything with Beijing right now.

Comment

When you consider the tremendous emotional, mental and physical build up for an athlete for an Olympic competition, it's not surprising that many of the top athletes were a bit flat. I am impressed that Bekele could do a 12:50+....he's truly something special.

Comment

Could've done with a few more events ie. mens + womens TJ, mens HJ and some more races, seemed very short and sparse to me.

Comment

Given what it must have cost just for the talent in the men's 100 and 400, let alone some of the other events, I am surprised they were still able to afford as much as they did!

Comment

Re: Was it a "boring" Zürich?

Originally posted by gh
              I didn't watch any of the online/TV stuff, so can only go on the results themselves. Maybe just in comparison with Beijing everything's a bit flat at the moment, but it didn't look like a vintage Z for the books, despite the monstrous collection of talent. ?????
              I did watch most of it online. It was not a vintage Z.

Most years, I think about whether it would be possible/practical for me to go to Zurich, I decide not to, and later have some regrets about that decision. This year, I never gave it a moment's thought because of the timing of it, coming so soon after Beijing. And having seen it online, one of my first thoughts after it was over was that if I had spent the time, money, and energy to go there, I would have regretted it. It was a good meet, but not worth more of an investment than a few hours in front of a screen.

Comment

Originally posted by runforfun
                I am impressed that Bekele could do a 12:50+....he's truly something special.

No kidding. That along with Jelimo's 800, Bolt's 100 and watching Kenyans wins races (1500 and steeple) who weren't even in the Olympics and it actually was a pretty good meet.
                "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
                  Originally posted by runforfun
                  I am impressed that Bekele could do a 12:50+....he's truly something special.

No kidding. That along with Jelimo's 800, Bolt's 100 and watching Kenyans wins races (1500 and steeple) who weren't even in the Olympics and it actually was a pretty good meet.
                  Also, Thorkildsen throwing 90 meters in a great series was very impressive.

Comment

I was at Zurich last night, and while I'm still digesting what happened, and was there in a work capacity, not as a fan, it would be very hard to live up to the amazing years of 1995-7, which I was lucky enough to attend, and which may go down in history as some of the greatest one-night track meets of all time.

There were certainly some exciting match-ups, such as Wariner-Merritt in the 400 and Kiprop-Ramzi in the 1500 (which fizzled), but I think it's tough for many athletes to be "on" so soon after the Games. Granted, Zurich was the first big meeing following the Worlds in '95 and '97 (I can't remember how soon the meet followed the Games in '96, but I do remember Monaco taking place before Zurich), but with the travel from Beijing, I think quite a few athletes were just a bit flat.

The atmosphere in the stadium, while still great, isn't quite the same either. I'm not sure if I'm just getting old and crotchety, but the new stadium just doesn't have the same feel as the old one. Fans are farther from the track, there isn't the same low-hanging roof that seemed to trap sound, and the fans in the standing-room sections on the turns don't do the name-chanting they used to (MER-lene OT-tey, clap clap, clap clap clap clap), and board banging.

Again, I don't want to sound negative. It was a great track meet, and I still have to pinch myself that I'm able to attend such things. Perhaps it's just that I've seen too many track meets, and it's not as easy to get that goosebump feeling when you're in your mid-30's, as opposed to your early-20's.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Same here - didn:t follow the meet online/tv, either.

Let:s have a look at the winners relative to a category which is not often recognised: Post-Championship PB (PCPB). Though it is not an official "PB" category in-and-of-itself, it is quite interesting to have researched and discovered that several athletes who competed yesterday were near/at/exceeded their previous post-championshp best mark.

Each of the winners below has participated in some form of championship, whether Junior, U-23, Asian, African, European or a major Global (IAAF-recognised championships).

Zürich Weltklasse 2008 results below.

Key: Event, Athlete, PB, Post-Championship PB, Championship contested/year, Zürich result. Beijing winners listed if not victors as well as other Beijing medalists who were near/better than their previous PCPB.
                      • m-Jav: Andreas Thorkildsen. PB: 91.59m. PCPB: 89.51m (WC 2007). Result: 90.28m (new PCPB)[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • m-LJ: Hussein Al-Sabee. PB: 8.35m. PCPB: 8.30m (WC 2003). Result: 8.35m (new PCPB)[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • m-1.500m: Haron Kietany. PB: 3.34,68. PCPB: 3.34,68 (AfC 2008). Result: 3.32,06 (new PCPB). (2) Rachid Ramzi. PB: 3.29,14. PCPB: 3.32,81 (WC 2005). Result: 3.32,86 (+0,05 from PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • m-SC: Paul Koech. PB: 7.56,37. Result: 8.04,26. (2) Mahiedine Mekhissi. PB: 8.10,49. PCPB: 8.14,22 (EJ 2007). Result: 8.08,95 (new PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • m-110mH: Dayron Robles. PB: 12,87. PCPB: 12,92 (WC 2007). Result: 12,97 (+0,05 from PCPB). (2) David Oliver. PB: 12,95. PCPB: 13,37 (WC 2007). Result: 12,98 (new PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • m-100m: Usain Bolt. PB: 9,69. PCPB: 0,00 (never contested). Result: 9,83 (new PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • m-400mH: Angelo Taylor. PB: 47,25. PCPB: 48,14 (OG 2000). Result: 48,07 (new PCPB). (2) Kerron Clement. PB: 47,24. PCPB: 48,35 (WC 2007). Result: 48,20 (new PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • m-400m: Jeremy Wariner. PB: 43,45. PCPB: 44,02 (WC 2007). Result: 43,82 (new PCPB). (2) LaShawn Merritt. PB: 43,75. PCPB: 44,58 (2007 WC). Result: 44,43 (new PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • m-5.000m: Kenenisa Bekele. PB: 12.37,35. PCPB: 12.48,08 (AfC 2006). Result: 12.50,18 (+2,10 from PCPB). [/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • w-PV: Yelena Isinbaeva. PB: 5.05m. PCPB: 4.93m (WC 2005). Result: 4.88m (+5cm from PCPB). (2) Jennifer Stuczynski. PB: 4.92m. PCPB: 0.00m (never contested). Result: 4.75m (new PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • w-HJ: Blanka Vlasic. PB: 2.07m. PCPB: 2.04m (WC 2007). Result: 2.01m (+3cm from PCPB). (8) Tia Hellebaut. PB: 2.05m. PCPB: 2.00m (EC 2006). Result: 1.90m (+10cm from PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • w-400m: Sanya Richards. PB: 48,70. PCPB: 48,92 (WC 2005). Result: 49,74 (+0,82 from PCPB). (2) Tatyna Firova. PB: 50,08. PCPB: 0,00 (never contested). Result: 50,70 (new PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • w-800m: Pamela Jelimo. PB: 1.54,87. PCPB: 1.54,87 (AfC 2007). Result: 1.54,01 (new PCPB). (2) Maryam Jamal. PB: 1.58,66. PCPB: 0,00 (never contested). Result: 1.57,80 (new PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • w-200m: Allyson Felix. PB: 21,81. PCPB: 22,27 (WC 2005). Result: 22,37 (+0,10 from PCPB).[/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      • w-100mH: Lolo Jones. PB: 12,43. PCPB: 12,70 (WC 2007). Result: 12,56 (new PCPB). (2) Josephine Onyia. PB: 12,50. PCPB: 0,00 (never contested). Result: 12,62 (new PCPB). (3) Sally McLellan. PB: 12,53. PCPB: 12.86. Result: 12,63 (new PCPB). (6) Dawn Harper. PB: 12,54. PCPB: 0,00 (never contested). Result: 12,73 (new PCPB).
                        [/*:m:2en5vywl]
                      Note: Bekele:s AfC victory wasn:t high on the priority list that season. His PCPB following a "major" title was 13.26,16 (WC 2003) (new PCPB). Pamela Jelimo contested the first championships of her life in the same season, and happened to record her PCPB from AfC at the OG!

Comment

Interesting research, EPelle. That confirms my feelings again, it all comes down to expectations. Considering that there are still going to be be a lot of meets, some should improve their PCPB again.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          everything's a bit flat at the moment
                          To what do you attribute your perception of the 'flatness'? Lack of marks? There were some excellent ones. Lack of competition? That's impossible- the fields had some of the best in the world and competed as hard as they could.

Comment

I thought Zurich was great.
                            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Does anyone have a link to a video streaming site with the races?

Comment

Working...
                              X