Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Henry
    Originally posted by richxx87
    The dude's seriously delusional. Island fever perhaps? Inferiority complex gone ballistic? Where in the heck would he get that Rogge doesn't want a small island nation to win? And if Victor Conte represents all 300 million Americans, the apocalypse is truly upon us. Sure there are whispers from one or two columnists here and there, but my impression is that a huge majority of sports fans are truly stoked about Jamaica's big breakthrough performance.
    Personally, even if the star had an article to support my point I wouldn't quote it. This an Island Tabloid paper, which often has headlines like "Dog gives birth to human baby" in order to move volumes. It's really equivalent to the enquirer.

To add: I hardly believe any Jamaican right now feels even an iota of an inferiority complex as it regards T&F!
    I would challenge you on the validity of the star, Paul.

Comment

.....thats ok, but there must be similar dentistry problems in the States because we also had a disproportionate number of American female sprinters sporting braces in the 90s and 00s.

Comment

Originally posted by shearer39
        The dude's seriously delusional. Island fever perhaps? Inferiority complex gone ballistic? Where in the heck would he get that Rogge doesn't want a small island nation to win? And if Victor Conte represents all 300 million Americans, the apocalypse is truly upon us. Sure there are whispers from one or two columnists here and there, but my impression is that a huge majority of sports fans are truly stoked about Jamaica's big breakthrough performance.
        Personally, even if the star had an article to support my point I wouldn't quote it. This an Island Tabloid paper, which often has headlines like "Dog gives birth to human baby" in order to move volumes. It's really equivalent to the enquirer.

To add: I hardly believe any Jamaican right now feels even an iota of an inferiority complex as it regards T&F!
        Come on Shearer39. In all honesty, if you were given an assignment for a university level course, would you cite technical information published in the star or wouldyou just wait the following day when the Gleaner is printed.
        We have to admit the star is more of a sensational paper targeted for light reading in the evening. So its hard pressed to use the star's articles for citing in a debate.

Comment

[quote=Paul Henry]
          Originally posted by "Paul Henry":1lwtoz7j

Come on Shearer39. In all honesty, if you were given an assignment for a university level course, would you cite technical information published in the star or wouldyou just wait the following day when the Gleaner is printed.
          We have to admit the star is more of a sensational paper targeted for light reading in the evening. So its hard pressed to use the star's articles for citing in a debate.[/quote:1lwtoz7j]

So then, my award-winning piece that appeared in the Star about Jamaican women in British prisons, lacks credibility because it was printed in the Star?

Or since this is a track and field site, the interviews I have done with Bolt, Powell, Simpson, Frater et. al, that have been published are not credible?

Comment

[quote=shearer39]
            Originally posted by "Paul Henry":29q9qnyi

We have to admit the star is more of a sensational paper targeted for light reading in the evening. So its hard pressed to use the star's articles for citing in a debate.

So then, my award-winning piece that appeared in the Star about Jamaican women in British prisons, lacks credibility because it was printed in the Star?

Or since this is a track and field site, the interviews I have done with Bolt, Powell, Simpson, Frater et. al, that have been published are not credible?[/quote:29q9qnyi]

I knew it . Iknew it. it was just a matter of time before i figured you out. :lol: I have all the respect for guys from CARIMAC. Make no Mistake and I can assure you that I believe you likely could secure a job with the TIMES or even CNN. The point not to disrespect your tabloid or you is that the star as a sole paper to cite technical information can be questioned by many. Its like getting the latest political current affairs from E! rather than CNN. Notwithstanding that Ryan Seacrest could make one mean anchor. Anyway say hello to D. Luton for me.

Comment

[quote=Paul Henry][quote=shearer39]
              Originally posted by "Paul Henry":txj0uz1p
              Originally posted by "Paul Henry":txj0uz1p

Or since this is a track and field site, the interviews I have done with Bolt, Powell, Simpson, Frater et. al, that have been published are not credible?[/quote:txj0uz1p]

I knew it . Iknew it. it was just a matter of time before i figured you out. :lol: I have all the respect for guys from CARIMAC. Make no Mistake and I can assure you that I believe you likely could secure a job with the TIMES or even CNN. The point not to disrespect your tabloid or you is that the star as a sole paper to cite technical information can be questioned by many. Its like getting the latest political current affairs from E! rather than CNN. Notwithstanding that Ryan Seacrest could make one mean anchor. Anyway say hello to D. Luton for me.[/quote:txj0uz1p]

None taken. :P
              And I will say hello.I expect to see him this coming week when i visit the Gleaner for an editor's forum.

Comment

Originally posted by steve
                Originally posted by Matt
                It is a little unfair to point the finger al the time - but can anyone tell me why such a disproportionate number of these adult athletes (and I am not just talking Jamaicans here) wear braces on their teeth?
                They can finally afford them, and are in a world where face time as a result of performance is huge.
                I believe there's a lot of truth to that. If I'd have been better and able to get a contract or what have you back in my day, I'd have gotten braces also. When I was a kid my lower teeth looked like a picket fence that had been hit by a Chevy, and with a very large family, there was no money around for crap like braces. Money went for food, mortgage, kid's clothes and so on. I would bet there's a lot of very low income folks who find themselves finally able to take care of some things they just ignored in the past. Sure, there's questions that can be brought up, as when the US women were all sporting braces, but until people are "caught", wherever they might be from, I wish some of the negative discussion would sit in the back pages while the more positive aspects stand in the spotlight.

Comment

But Shelly-Ann Fraser only hit the big time in Beijing, yet she was wearing braces before then. She ran fast at the US Trials and competed in one or two Grand Prix meetings, but I doubt she'd have earned enough from those to suddenly be able to afford braces.

I gotta say, it is weird that four women within the same training group are wearing them. Would the Jamaicans on here be so brace-defensive if Greeks, Belarussians or Russians were all wearing them?

Some of these post are so idiotic. If braces is a sign that sprinters are cheating, why weren't Justin Gatlin, Marion Jones, Antonio Pettigrew, Tim Montgomery, and all of the other drug cheats wore braces? Allyson Felix had braces, I am to think that she was on enchancers? I personally don't think she was or is. Furthermore, which four women are sporting braces? not that it matters. I wore braces for a while and last time I checked I was clean, go figures.

One Love!
                  One Love!!!

Comment

Originally posted by onlooker
                    But Shelly-Ann Fraser only hit the big time in Beijing, yet she was wearing braces before then. She ran fast at the US Trials and competed in one or two Grand Prix meetings, but I doubt she'd have earned enough from those to suddenly be able to afford braces.

I gotta say, it is weird that four women within the same training group are wearing them. Would the Jamaicans on here be so brace-defensive if Greeks, Belarussians or Russians were all wearing them?
                    Some of these post are so idiotic. If braces is a sign that sprinters are cheating, why weren't Justin Gatlin, Marion Jones, Antonio Pettigrew, Tim Montgomery, and all of the other drug cheats wore braces? Allyson Felix had braces, I am to think that she was on enchancers? I personally don't think she was or is. Furthermore, which four women are sporting braces? not that it matters. I wore braces for a while and last time I checked I was clean, go figures.
                    Marion Jones DID wear braces, but she did so during her off year in 2003. And Felix has never worn braces. If you can find some photographic proof, then please do so.

Shelly-Ann Fraser and Melaine Walker were sporting braces in Beijing. Their training partners (Sherone Simpson and Brigitte Foster) have also worn them in the past two years. I'm not accusing them of cheating. I just want a logical explanation why they all just so happen to wear them at the same time. I don't buy the "they can only afford them once they hit the big time" explanation because some of them were wearing them before they hit the big time. And if they were "a trend" in Jamaica (as some have suggested), then we'd be seeing a lot more of them among Jamaicans from ALL different training groups. But they're not - the brace brigade all belong to the same training group. What are the chances of that happening?!

Comment

Originally posted by HotDiggedyDog

Marion Jones DID wear braces, but she did so during her off year in 2003. And Felix has never worn braces. If you can find some photographic proof, then please do so.

Shelly-Ann Fraser and Melaine Walker were sporting braces in Beijing. Their training partners (Sherone Simpson and Brigitte Foster) have also worn them in the past two years. I'm not accusing them of cheating. I just want a logical explanation why they all just so happen to wear them at the same time. I don't buy the "they can only afford them once they hit the big time" explanation because some of them were wearing them before they hit the big time. And if they were "a trend" in Jamaica (as some have suggested), then we'd be seeing a lot more of them among Jamaicans from ALL different training groups. But they're not - the brace brigade all belong to the same training group. What are the chances of that happening?!
                      Well I guess you can ask why is it they bought their own cars in roughly the sametime? Some strange happenings there too? While you are at it you can also ask why althletes on teams get tattoos the sametime too?

You still have not equated the fact that there are now braces which can be worn without the onlooker knowing, they could have opted to wear those. On that basis we don't even know the number of persons in the olympics wearing braces. Why not also query why is that so many female athletes get their belly rings after the big time? And outline the Jamican athletes that were wearing braces before they hit the big time. Even Courtney walsh has gotten them in his old days.

Do you even know the social background of these girls and what are their mindsets in attaining braces at this grown age? Are you aware that there are a large number of other Jamaicans not doing tracks who just because they can now afford braces just put them in for the heck of doing it? Are you aware that those 4 girls are very close and will do these these things in concert?

Comment

Paul Henry wrote:
                        Well I guess you can ask why is it they bought their own cars in roughly the sametime? Some strange happenings there too? While you are at it you can also ask why althletes on teams get tattoos the sametime too?

You still have not equated the fact that there are now braces which can be worn without the onlooker knowing, they could have opted to wear those. On that basis we don't even know the number of persons in the olympics wearing braces. Why not also query why is that so many female athletes get their belly rings after the big time? And outline the Jamican athletes that were wearing braces before they hit the big time. Even Courtney walsh has gotten them in his old days.

Do you even know the social background of these girls and what are their mindsets in attaining braces at this grown age? Are you aware that there are a large number of other Jamaicans not doing tracks who just because they can now afford braces just put them in for the heck of doing it? Are you aware that those 4 girls are very close and will do these these things in concert?
                        Point well taken,

My point was not to argue who is or were wearing braces but to suggest that wearing braces doen't conclude you are on drugs. The athletes reflect society in a whole, and people from all walks of society wear braces everyday, that is no grounds to make a case, it just make you look stupid. If you're still bitter about your losses, get help because it ain't that serious.

One Love!
                        One Love!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HotDiggedyDog
                          Originally posted by steve
                          Originally posted by Matt
                          It is a little unfair to point the finger al the time - but can anyone tell me why such a disproportionate number of these adult athletes (and I am not just talking Jamaicans here) wear braces on their teeth?
                          They can finally afford them, and are in a world where face time as a result of performance is huge.

you should ask yourself why are n't the men in that group wear braces. You do not know anything about jamaica
                          20201.jpg

Comment

It is strange that it just seems to be sprinters from the USA and Jamaica wearing braces.

A complete aside, but did anyone see the footage of Melaine Walker in Gateshead? Was it me or did she have awful skin? I couldnt tell whether it was the rain or not.

Comment

"...and my god, look at those muscles. They have all a man would want: mustache, broad shoulders and a 250 pound BP. They HAVE to be cheating..."

Picking this and that, looking for signs, insinuating and raising questions without answers - it´s really killing everything good about sports. This is not making anything better or improving the state of matters. If winning, making a PB or just performing well makes you free game to everybody NOT enjoying the spirit - we can close down the whole shebang and turn our guns at something else.

So far we have to stick with the fact that people competing in sports within fair play rules have basic right like"...until proven guilty".

If you got a late-evening phone call from the local newspaper: "Do you have AIDS?" and your answer was no. How would you feel about the yellow post headlines next day: "ZZZZ denies that he has AIDS"?
                              This is what we are doing now.

Let the antidoping work to the professionals, lay back and enjoy!
                              Crazy for T&F since 1982

Comment

Working...
                              X