Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decathlon

Pappas v. Seberle -- could be great... what does anyone think re: Paul Terek..? With those huge yearly imporvements across the board.. i see him as the future ..

Re: decathlon

It will be a Pappas-Sebrle matchup again, but it won't be much of a match. I'm predicting a strong and commanding victory for Pappas. Over these next two years, Pappas will be scoring over 8900 several times. Sebrle, like Dvorak the last 3 years, is now on the decline of his career. Terek and Clay definitely possess a ton of potential, each in different respects. I predict Terek to be in the 8400pt range and Clay in the 8500pt range.

Comment

I agree, Pappas is too good right now for anyone else to compete with him. There are a few up and coming decath talents, but none close enough to test Pappas.

Comment

If he learns to vault, Clay could be a real factor. He has great technique and strength in the throws, especially for a smallish guy, and has the one vital (and I don't think coachable) asset, speed. He still looks like a man falling out of bed in the vault, but that IS coachable.

I wouldn't discount Sebrle completly. He did have the best score in '03, and if healthy, could give Pappas a real go.

Comment

Pappas' best is still over 200 points behind Serble's... Even last year, Sebrle had the best score of the year. And he's still only 29 - I don't see why it should be the end of his career. The fact is that he had a bad competition in Paris, while Pappas had a good one. If both perform at their best level, I'd go for the Czech.

One athlete I'd be watching closely is Dmitriy Karpov. He made huge progress last year and in Paris he was up there with the top 2 (or even ahead) until event 7, before having catastrophical performances in PV and JT... If he works hard on these two events, his PB is due for a MAJOR revision.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Pappas surely is the favorite given trajectories of recent scores. But the decathlon is a great event, in part, because it is so unpredictable, with so many opportunities both to fail and to come back. The OT will be a great meet, and the OG will be even better.

Comment

I agree w/ Powell: Karpov was clearly the most impressive "athlete" on the field in Paris.

Comment

Karpov did about what he did in his previous PB in the PV. He did probably make a major error in passing at the height before his exit, but even a clearance there would just have solidified the bronze. His JT isn't good, but St Denis was bad even by his standards. Definitly someone to look at in the future. I wonder how good his support staff in Kazakistan is.

Comment

Working...
                X