Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The true measure of Bolt's greatness

SportsCenter (ESPN) has been hyping...yes, hyping an upcoming GL meet all night. I can't honestly say I've ever seen that before.

they did one other race ...

i think it was an olympic trials race...either 2000 or 2004...

think it was webb...

put it did happen..

Comment

Hmm. Didn't see that one. Probably safe to say this is the first time ESPN/SC has promoted an upcoming race for a non-USA athlete, though.

I've been watching SC forever and as most of us know, it's written in stone that they can't even acknowledge T&F unless a world record has been set (and most of the time, WRs don't even get a mention).

To see them playing up a race that hasn't even occurred yet, and one where there most likely won't be a WR, is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
        they did one other race ...

i think it was an olympic trials race...either 2000 or 2004...

think it was webb...

put it did happen..
        Perhaps you're thinking of the 2000 OT 200 showdown between Maurice Greene and Michael Johnson.

Comment

Re: The true measure of Bolt's greatness

Originally posted by Half Miler
          SportsCenter (ESPN) has been hyping...yes, hyping an upcoming GL meet all night. I can't honestly say I've ever seen that before.
          I know of at least two upstairs trading floors on Wall Street where the televisions were changed to ESPN for the meet. During the wait for the main event, the chatter was all about the race. When the 100m came up everyone was watching and there was a loud din just like it was the Super Bowl or something.

The sport can have huge non-fan interest levels as long as there are compelling characters and media promotion with it.

Comment

I believe the last time ESPN showed a race live was in 2001, when Alan Webb was running the 1500-meters at the U.S. Championships shortly after breaking Ryun's U.S. high school record.

Comment

The true measure of Bolt's undeniable greatness was taken today when Bill Brasky failed to show up for a much-ballyhooed 20 foot dash across an international bar on Brussels. Brasky...a no show. That tells me all I need to know about Bolt's standing in the athletic pantheon.
              "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Working...
              X