Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malmo
    Even playing your silly game you cannot deduct the reaction time you can only deduct up to the allowable reaction time.
    That makes no sense. Now you're just posting for the sake of contradiction, and it is annoying at the very least. Subtracting the reaction time has quite a valid purpose: to reflect the actual time from 0-100m, and thus a reflection of the average speed.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
      Even playing your silly game you cannot deduct the reaction time you can only deduct up to the allowable reaction time.
      That makes no sense. Now you're just posting for the sake of contradiction, and it is annoying at the very least. Subtracting the reaction time has quite a valid purpose: to reflect the actual time from 0-100m, and thus a reflection of the average speed.
      You're the one not making sense. The best an athlete could possibly run 100m is the actual reaction time less the allowable reaction time. Even an man with a PHD in math can understand that?

Comment

Originally posted by mikli
        Originally posted by JRM
        Subtract those reaction times:

9.69 - 0.165 --> 9.525s

9.77 - 0.223 --> 9.547s

Even without resorting to basic times, that speaks for itself about today's performance.
        Missed the point, perhaps? Add 0.100 and you have 9.625 vs 9.647. Is that different in some way?.
        Yes it is - it's the fastest one could legally run 100m in absolute terms.

I'm not the best friend of basic either
        Then call it what it is - CONTRIVED.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
          Subtract those reaction times:

9.69 - 0.165 --> 9.525s

9.77 - 0.223 --> 9.547s

Even without resorting to basic times, that speaks for itself about today's performance.
          Missed the point, perhaps? Add 0.100 and you have 9.625 vs 9.647. Is that different in some way?.
          Yes it is - it's the fastest one could legally run 100m in absolute terms.
          So what? It is not the absolute t but delta t that is relevant in this context

Comment

Usain Bolt is heading back to Jamaica for some sunshine reggae and likely the world:s biggest street party. Deservingly, he:s now taking time away from the training, racing, warm-ups/downs, travel, hotels, buffet foods, interviews, autographs and questions about everything from yams to drugs and anything in-between.

I sincerely doubt that Bolt will at any time this autumn, winter or next spring convert any of his times from Beijing to Brussels to the Big Apple, he:ll simply count the number of races he ran and the number of times he crossed the finish line in first place. The lonely integer which should remain when all is said and done, is the number one - rounded up, down or expanded to three decimal places.

Bolt will end the season as the number one sprinter in the 100m.
            Bolt will end the season as the number one sprinter in the 200m.
            Bolt will end the season as the world:s fastest sprinter in the 100m.
            Bolt will end the season as the world:s fastest sprinter in the 200m.
            Bolt will end the season as history:s fastest sprinter in the 100m.
            Bolt will end the season as history:s fastest sprinter in the 200m.
            Bolt will end the season as history:s quickest from 0-100m.
            Bolt will end the season as history:s quickest from 0-10 under 10,00.
            Bolt will end the season with the greatest cumulative average for his top-10.
            Bolt will also end the season with one loss, bring full-circle the true value of that number.

Next year, in a world championship cycle, Bolt will simply try to improve his personal best, remain number one and not place second to anyone at any time under any circumstance, weather notwithstanding.

As he has done time and again this season, he:s run fast enough to win. He:ll run as fast as he possibly can from naught to the finish line once he has the desire to do so, dvs once his trainer puts his foot up Usain:s rear-end and fires him up. Once that happens, the world can truly see how fast Bolt can run, but I imagine that means and opportunity test will be off-set by weather or a negative breeze, as seems to befall this young man.

As there are two groups here who interact with one another on Bolt:s potential - each with the same "basic" premise in mind, namely that Bolt is the Olympic champion and is one helluva fast dude, would it not be wise counsel to simply admire what he has accomplished on paper and what, potentially, he could have run in the event that this, that and thus-and-so had been positive, negative, higher up the elevation chart or simply a little warmer?

One needs not an elaborate calculator to reveal to them that Bolt is the world:s fastest man. That being said, however, making calculations based on the true and not the imaginary, are what make discussion about potential and the comparison of facts containing two equalities (the distance from start to finish and the person contesting the event) interesting and eye-opening.

Comment

Moving away from bolt and powell for a moment I have to say I felt for Martina who was stuck in the middle of these guys. How confidence sapping was that. I am sure he would have run better if he was in lane 1 or 8. No amount of tunnel vision would have helped him out. Poor guy must have thought he was standing still.

Let me add that for pure excitement this was my favourite race of the year. As much as I like seeing fast times and we had that too there's nothing like a good old rivalry between two great athletes. Look forward to more of the same next year.

Comment

what's the website that does the conversion calculation for track?

Comment

I remember Calvin smith running 10.04 in brussells back in 1983 into a -2.9 wind if I remember right. There were many debates on the validity of that reading with some suggesting that the wind tends to swirl in the stadium so he was not running into a wind for the entire race.
                  Although smith was capabable of running great times and he had 4 legal sub 10's that decade including his altitude 9.93 , running 10.04 into such a strong wind does suggest some credibility in that view. I recall Lewis running 10.27 into a -2.3 at the us champs that same year, so it does make that brussells mark for smith questionable.
                  However we are talking about Bolt here and I would never doubt his ability to run a 9.77 into a genuine -1.3 all the way.
                  It was just some food for thought for our statisticians.

Comment

Reaction time is far more important to results and I don't see you "converting" for that do I?

Hitting a hurdle is more important, as well, and I don't see you converting for that either, do I? .... strike that comment, you actually do rewrite results for hitting hurdles, and jump bars.
                    Adjusting times for conditions seems fair enough, the athletes can't do anything about wind speed, temperature and altitude. Things like reaction time and hitting hurdles are all part of the athletes' performance, i.e.their own fault, which seems equally fair that these are not taken into consideration.

Comment

• Originally posted by EPelle
                      Usain Bolt is heading back to Jamaica for some sunshine reggae and likely the world:s biggest street party. Deservingly, he:s now taking time away from the training, racing, warm-ups/downs, travel, hotels, buffet foods, interviews, autographs and questions about everything from yams to drugs and anything in-between.

I sincerely doubt that Bolt will at any time this autumn, winter or next spring convert any of his times from Beijing to Brussels to the Big Apple, he:ll simply count the number of races he ran and the number of times he crossed the finish line in first place. The lonely integer which should remain when all is said and done, is the number one - rounded up, down or expanded to three decimal places.

Bolt will also end the season with one loss, bring full-circle the true value of that number.

Next year, in a world championship cycle, Bolt will simply try to improve his personal best, remain number one and not place second to anyone at any time under any circumstance, weather notwithstanding.

As he has done time and again this season, he:s run fast enough to win. He:ll run as fast as he possibly can from naught to the finish line once he has the desire to do so, dvs once his trainer puts his foot up Usain:s rear-end and fires him up. Once that happens, the world can truly see how fast Bolt can run, but I imagine that means and opportunity test will be off-set by weather or a negative breeze, as seems to befall this young man.

As there are two groups here who interact with one another on Bolt:s potential - each with the same "basic" premise in mind, namely that Bolt is the Olympic champion and is one helluva fast dude, would it not be wise counsel to simply admire what he has accomplished on paper and what, potentially, he could have run in the event that this, that and thus-and-so had been positive, negative, higher up the elevation chart or simply a little warmer?

One needs not an elaborate calculator to reveal to them that Bolt is the world:s fastest man. That being said, however, making calculations based on the true and not the imaginary, are what make discussion about potential and the comparison of facts containing two equalities (the distance from start to finish and the person contesting the event) interesting and eye-opening.
                      Season not over yet. You might want to wait a week or at last until money before making definitive statements on the 100m WR.

BTW, Bolt does not have the best average time for his top 10 races, I am pretty sure Asafa still does. Check that again.

Comment

• I think it was Bolt's last meet but AP still has a chance, given his fabulous 9.72 and then his race here in less-than-optimal conditions.

Comment

• I only scanned the stuff above--so my apologizes if this has been covered.

I was paying very close attention to the rain--and saw that it stopped pretty much right at 7:00pm. The track remained wet for some time of course (at least the inside 3 lanes; the outer lanes were protected by the overhanging roof). The 100 went off at 8:25pm and the conditions were actually quite good, except for that damn headwind. Bolt seems to be "Mr. -0.9" this year, and Powell's great 100 at Lausanne had essentially no wind. If any of them had enjoyed a "Montgomery 2.0" the times would be all the more mind-boggling...as if they aren't already.

The electricity in the stadium leading up to the start of the 100 was quite remarkable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Infama
                            Originally posted by EPelle
                            Season not over yet. You might want to wait a week or at last until money before making definitive statements on the 100m WR.

BTW, Bolt does not have the best average time for his top 10 races, I am pretty sure Asafa still does. Check that again.
                            Bolt has ended the season as described above; his season is over. Let:s be clear on that.

Bolt does have the best average time for his top-10 races in a season, which was the implication:

1. Usain Bolt, JAM, 2008
                            9,820 (9,69, 9,72, 9,76, 9,77, 9,83, 9,85, 9,85, 9,89, 9,92, 9,92)

2. Asafa Powell, JAM, 2006
                            9,867 (9,77, 9,77, 9,85, 9,85, 9,86, 9,86, 9,89, 9,91, 9,95, 9,96)

3. Asafa Powell, JAM, 2008
                            9,878 (9,72, 9,82, 9,83, 9,87, 9,88, 9,90, 9,91, 9,94, 9,95, 9,96)

Powell will need to run 9,66 and 9,67 in order to drop 9,95 and 9,96 and exactly tie Bolt:s top-10 season average.

In keeping with the integer "one", here:s one more: Only one other man in history has been able to run faster without stopping than the sum (19,41) of Bolt:s top-two 100m times.

Comment

• OK Pelle,

I get you now.

I was talking lifetime best top 10 average:

UB AP
                              1 9.69 9.72
                              2 9.72 9.74
                              3 9.76 9.77
                              4 9.77 9.77
                              5 9.83 9.77
                              6 9.85 9.78
                              7 9.85 9.82
                              8 9.89 9.83
                              9 9.92 9.83
                              10 9.92 9.84
                              9.820 9.787

Comment

• Originally posted by kuha
                                I only scanned the stuff above--so my apologizes if this has been covered.

I was paying very close attention to the rain--and saw that it stopped pretty much right at 7:00pm. The track remained wet for some time of course (at least the inside 3 lanes; the outer lanes were protected by the overhanging roof). The 100 went off at 8:25pm and the conditions were actually quite good, except for that damn headwind. Bolt seems to be "Mr. -0.9" this year, and Powell's great 100 at Lausanne had essentially no wind. If any of them had enjoyed a "Montgomery 2.0" the times would be all the more mind-boggling...as if they aren't already.

The electricity in the stadium leading up to the start of the 100 was quite remarkable.
                                Wow, were you there for this race?

You lucky man!

Comment

Working...
                                X