Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jelimo - In five months, from unknown to athletics Golden Girl - ÅF Golden League

When the ÅF Golden League Jackpot disciplines were designated last December, high jumper Blanka Vlasic was in the midst of what would become the longest unbeaten streak in the sport. And Pamela Jelimo, a virtually unknown quantity even in her native Kenya, had yet to contest her first 800m race.

Yet when the six-meeting series concluded at the Memorial Van Damme in Brussels tonight, it was Jelimo who would survive the grueling 14-week battle to win the $1 million Jackpot, athletics biggest prize.

“I am happy, I realized my dream,” said Jelimo, who became the first sole winner of the prize since Tatyana Lebedeva went six-for-six in 2005. “This is the same happiness as in Beijing.”

More and a summary of her season at http://www.iaaf.org/GLE08/news/newsid=47530.html

Comment

Has streaks of six- and four-consecutive races under 1.58,00, broken up by this nasty thing called an Olympic heat, a necessity which she won and later became Olympic champion. Eleven women in history have run at least four-straight races under 1.58,00.

Comment

Some more stats on her GL season:

3.59 seconds - victory margin average

3.05 seconds - smallest margin to 2nd

1.55.04 - average winning time

1.55.69 - slowest winning time

Comment

deleted

Comment

Originally posted by spy
            Remember that Jelimo was added to the Berlin 800 only on the day of the competition. Had that not happened, we may not have had ANY Golden League winner. (Actually, Jeremy Wariner would have gotten a half mill for his five wins, I think.)
            In that scenario, Jelimo, Vlasic, and Wariner would have split the secondary prize.

If Jelimo and Vlasic lose and Wariner was to win in Brussels he would share this secondary prize of $500,000 with them ($166,666 each).
            Jackpot Contenders

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
              Has streaks of six- and four-consecutive races under 1.58,00, broken up by this nasty thing called an Olympic heat, a necessity which she won and later became Olympic champion. Eleven women in history have run at least four-straight races under 1.58,00.
              I thought that many consider consecutive Finals, excluding heats.

Comment

For clarity, point yourself back to the thead with the consecutive-race histories from earlier this GL season. This statement (four-consecutive races) is based on the previous one. Other athletes have, in the past, had long finals streaks under 1.58,00, but they, too, have had a championship (WC, OG, EC) stick a fork in the consecutive-race fight. Mutola was able to reel off eight-straight races under 1.58,00, including the 1997 WC semi-final.

No, it is not conceivable to run under 1.58,00 in a first-round in a championship, so that stat will always curtail one:s streak if round-one lands in/around/during that time. This was earlier discussed as race-streak, however, and not finals-streak, which is/was another discussion.

Comment

One typically ignores prelims when calculating any streaks of any kind. Just as Bolt is undefeated in the 200 this year (despite a heat "loss" in Beijing), Jelimo has 10 straight sub-1:58s.

Comment

I have always - and continue - excluding prelims. A discussion arose on consecutive races, not finals, which is the point being addressed here. Jelimo has a terrific sub-1.58,00 finals-only streak going.

You:ll notice I didn:t state Bolt has any losses at 200m on the Bruxelles 100m thread.

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
                      Some more stats on her GL season:

3.59 seconds - victory margin average

3.05 seconds - smallest margin to 2nd

1.55.04 - average winning time

1.55.69 - slowest winning time
                      In fifty+ years of following track closely, this athlete has caught my attention more than anyone else. First year of serious running. Her winning times and margins, manner of running, are simply astounding. Let's hope the $1 million and OG gold, which she fully deserved, does not take away her desire to compete at the highest level for the next few years.

Comment

It is interesting to see what has happened. In both the mens 100 (Gay and AP) and the womens 800 (Jepkoski) one or two athletes emerged as great runners above the rest of their peers already it seemed, and still young. Then, in the next season, someone comes along a completely eclipses them, and a teammate at that.

On a related point, has an event ever had three consecutive AOYs, and had them be different athletes?!

Comment

Working...
                        X