Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia to make decision by October on doping tampering

Haven't heard anything from the IAAF since July on the sample tampering case against Soboleva and the six others, but the Russian Federation just announced that it will make its verdict within the month (assuming I have the translation correct):

Russian:
    http://sportweek.ru/news/16943/vfla-vyi ... -oktyabrya

Translation:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... l=ru&tl=en

Soboleva's statement on the matter from two days ago:
    http://www.7tv.ru/news.xl?id=217749

and Fomenko's:
    http://www.7tv.ru/article.xl?id=217369

Soboleva's most recent statement (last week) to the IAAF drug tampering probe (translated by a Russian friend):

http://news.mail.ru/sport/2019748

Soboleva - "They violated all the rules in my case. According to the IAAF, a test sample has to be examined in two to three weeks and it has to be destroyed in two to three months. In this case, test sample, that was collected in April, came to DNA laboratory in Lausanne only on October 25. It came over half a year after the testing. Nobody knows why it was not discarded as it was supposed to be. The sample was clean, but it was not discarded. After this test in April, bureaucrats claimed that we gave blood samples and some biochemical aspects of it triggered alarm and they decided to conduct an experiment that demonstrated DNA contamination. You know what is a joke here? I never donated any blood samples in an out-of-competition environment. Now it is up to the federation to decide our fate.

It is regrettable that if they disqualify us, the Russian Federation cannot defend us. The IAAF can simple take RF to a court and force them to abide by the decision... I know that they really fight to defend us, Valentin Balkhnichev has meetings with all the time, and the disciplinary commission is very attentive to what we have to say. We believe that we are not going to be abandoned.

Regardless of the outcome of all this, I intend to return to the sport. Only now I realize who much I want to run and compete. I want so much to run again knowing how much more I can accomplish. But in addition to disqualifying, they can demand that I return my prize money. What money can I return? The money that I already spent on building an apartment that I never had before? Such an outcome would be a catastrophe for me".

Comment

The factor that that nabbed her was not one a test for drugs in the sample. The samples might not be expected to last a long time, so the tests are supposed to be made in a timely manner. However, it was not tested for drugs but for whether it was hers or not. If the Russian Federation backs her solely on procedural grounds, not on content, then the Federation has to be considered suspect.

Note that the IOC (and others) are not keeping samples for up to 8 years for later testing. I thought that the USADA retroactively tested several Balco folks for the designer steroid.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
        Note that the IOC (and others) are not keeping samples for up to 8 years for later testing. I thought that the USADA retroactively tested several Balco folks for the designer steroid.
        You mean now instead of not ?

Comment

Re: Russia to make decision by October on doping tampering

The latest IAAF newsletter lists Anna Alminova as failing a test at the World Indoor Champs. It doesn't say what the substance was. The ban is three months (ending 8th July) but as it is currently the off-season, she won't really miss much of this year. :roll:

Comment

Was that her and LaShawn I saw out behind the barn sparking up a fattie?

Comment

Nope. That was Ivory Williams.

Comment

d'oh! Can't even keep my dopers straight.

Comment

You need the straight dope. :wink:

Comment

Pseudoephedrine for Alminova, back on the forbidden list in 2010 after a couple of years being allowed. Could be the elusive "honest mistake". Then again... :roll:

Comment

Working...
                    X