Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Linford Christie wants to "run" UK Athletics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Linford Christie wants to "run" UK Athletics...

According to the Daily Mail.

Now what was that I said about athletics correspondents knowing SOD ALL about our sport ? Take a look at this...

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/oth ... l?ITO=1490

:roll:

i don't know why you are shooting the messenger - he's only doing his job in reporting a story

linford is too high profile for the job, but woud certainly bring expertise to the sprints & coud delegate for the distance events/field events

it might be worth bringing in someone foreign, like they have with capello & football

Comment

eldrick, look at the photograph. That's Chambers, not Christie!

Comment

didn't look at the pic !

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick

it might be worth bringing in someone foreign, like they have with capello & football
          What kind of strange example is that? :lol:
          First of all, it's not like Capello is the first "foreign" manager and thus a new an novel idea - They failed to even make the world Cup under the guidance of their last foreign coach. Plus, they haven't had any great successes under Capello so far (indeed, they have barely played) so where you found that parrallel is beyond me.

Comment

Actually England always did qualify for major tournaments under Eriksson, it was under McClaren that they failed to make the last Euros.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaack
              Originally posted by eldrick

They failed to even make the world Cup under the guidance of their last foreign coach.
              Actually, England DID make the last World Cup under their last foreign manager, Sven Goran Eriksson, and it was the 2008 European Championships they failed to qualify for...under Steve McLaren, who is very much English

Comment

Originally posted by andyjgt
                Actually England always did qualify for major tournaments under Eriksson, it was under McClaren that they failed to make the last Euros.
                ops: I meant Euro 08. How could I forget the Bliss of Portugal knocking them out on Penalties in 06 :lol: Ronaldo and his wink " :wink: ".

As for McLaren being responsible for their Euro failure! The team were as bad as they were under Sven

Anyway, the point is, The English Soccer set up can hardly be used as a parrallel to promote the effective or positive move of employing a "foreigner" to run UKA! :wink:

Comment

As for McLaren being responsible for their Euro failure? Sven was in charge for at least half of that campaign surely?
                  Sven left after the World Cup. They appointed McLaren in May 2006, so before the World Cup had even finished...

Comment

Originally posted by lalala
                    As for McLaren being responsible for their Euro failure? Sven was in charge for at least half of that campaign surely?
                    Sven left after the World Cup. They appointed McLaren in May 2006, so before the World Cup had even finished...
                    Cheers. My word, how time flies. I can't believe Sven is gone more than 2 years! :lol:

Comment

Trivia. Maybe not t&f.

Ericsson era in England:

WC 2002 -England 1/4-final first time since 1990-. Lost to Brasil
                      EC-2004 -England 1/4-final.Lost to Portugal (penelties)
                      WC-2006 - England 1/4-final. lost to Portugal again on penelties.

England top eight team in all three tournaments. Unusual for an unbelievable overrated team (in England) England has only been on podium in one single WC. Gold 1966 at home at Wembley with a blind judge (line).
                      (And havenĀ“t beaten Sweden in the last 41 years-1967/Wembley) 8-)

Does not mean though that UK Athletics necessarily should hire a Swedish headcoach :wink: Different sport.

Comment

The Telegraph seem convinced it's going to be Charles Van Commennee. Linford wouldn't have a cat's chance of the job.

He's right on one thing - we need some reorganisation. Who else would have a javelin coach in charge of the sprints?

Comment

Working...
                        X