Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amman, jordan

so, the next world XC champs are in jordan...

given the number of americans who bypassed rhe kenya XC worlds, do we see an even bigger american absence next march??

or does the usa even send a squad?

I have no reason to think we would NOT send a squad. I would imagine many of the brand name Americans stayed out of the race last year had something to do with it being an Olympic year.

Comment

... and hot and humid; how does Amman compare?

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
        According to Weather Underground, average daily high for Amman in March is 61F (16C). Next question?

Comment

jordan in march looks like good running weather...

my view is what "security" concerns some runners could have...

if kenya kept you out, then the middle east might scare even more...

us xc champs are on feb 7...in maryland...

well, i'd say it'd be a bit chilly then, very different weather from ammann

Comment

There was an issue some years back when Morocco had the world XC, and the Israel team couldn't get proper visas to compete. Despite assurances that there would be no problems to that effect. Hope something similar doesn't happen this time.
            http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A96E958260

Comment

Morocco is far more western in outlook than jordan..

personally, i like distributing competitions across the globe, not just to 1st world nations...

interesting point about the israeli's competing in jordan...

although, the usa wrestling team has gone to iran fairly regularly to compete, and nothing unfortunate has ever happened...

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                There was an issue some years back when Morocco had the world XC, and the Israel team couldn't get proper visas to compete. Despite assurances that there would be no problems to that effect. Hope something similar doesn't happen this time.
                http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A96E958260
                The Israel-Jordan Treaty of Peace of 1994 extends full diplomatic recognition between the two countries so I don't see how this will be an issue this March.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  Originally posted by 26mi235
                  According to Weather Underground, average daily high for Amman in March is 61F (16C). Next question?
                  Just a guess, but I doubt humity will be a problem It sounds like it might be a pretty good venue, if you disregard geopolitical considerations On the further upside, a visit to Petra would be a bonus.

Comment

I think the choice by many to avoid Mombassa had much more to do with heat, humidity, and travel distance (length of journey more than sheer miles) than safety concerns (though those certainly played a part).

That said, the US Gov't isn't exactly rosy with regard to travel in Jordan, with Al Q activities there in the very recent past.

FYI, there is a nonstop from JFK to Amman. Travel to Mombasa looks to be a solid 28-30 hour affair from the East Coast.

Comment

Altitude in Amman is about 700m, so African advantage will be enhanced.

Comment

Originally posted by The Captain
                        Altitude in Amman is about 700m, so African advantage will be enhanced.
                        I'm certainly no expert on this, and so would be interested in reading the ideas of those who are: Would this elevation (approx 2300 ft) really favor in a significant way the athlete (whether African or not) born & raised/trained at altitude?

Comment

so ammann is double the altitude of atlanta, and half that of denver...

minimal affect at most

Comment

Working...
                          X