Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rovereto

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rovereto

    The last gasp qualifier for WAF is tonight in Rovereto, Italy.

    Start lists here: http://www.sportrentino.it/public/alleg ... tPalio.pdf

    Results should start appearing here: http://www.sportrentino.it/portale/novi ... s=87&c=501

    TFN Message Board faves of note on startlist:
    Nick Simmonds in 800m
    Montell Douglas & Emma Ania in W100m
    Steph Twell over 3000m

    plus Devetzki and Villi

  • #2
    Also Udmurtova, Saladuha, Gurova, Pyatykh, Sestak and Lebedeva in the triple jump, so that is probably the highest level event of the meet.

    What would be a good time for Stephanie Twell in the 3000 meters, and can she beat the Russian pacemaking pair (listed in a non-pacemaking role this time)?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by lapsus
      Also Udmurtova, Saladuha, Gurova, Pyatykh, Sestak and Lebedeva in the triple jump, so that is probably the highest level event of the meet.

      What would be a good time for Stephanie Twell in the 3000 meters, and can she beat the Russian pacemaking pair (listed in a non-pacemaking role this time)?
      twell has a best 3k of 8:53.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by doug091463
        Originally posted by lapsus
        Also Udmurtova, Saladuha, Gurova, Pyatykh, Sestak and Lebedeva in the triple jump, so that is probably the highest level event of the meet.

        What would be a good time for Stephanie Twell in the 3000 meters, and can she beat the Russian pacemaking pair (listed in a non-pacemaking role this time)?
        twell has a best 3k of 8:53.
        defars pacer olga komygina has run 3k indoors in 8:35 in 2006

        Comment


        • #5
          difficult to estimate her potential as she's still young

          http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographie ... index.html

          her 400 time is superior to her 800, which is a nonsense 2'06

          that 58s was run in '06 & assuming she's a bit quicker now at maybe 57.0 57.5, then with supposed current 4'05

          ->~ 2'02.8 - 2'03.3 , 8'40.9 - 8'42.8

          certainly shoud be capable of < 8'45

          Comment


          • #6
            But she's had a long season and she only ran 4:32 in the mile in Rieti (PB of 4:27). I think anything inside 9-minutes would be good.
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

            Comment


            • #7
              STREAM

              http://es.justin.tv/miscosas18/chat/2008/7/20

              Comment


              • #8
                results are up at tilastopaja.net

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by doug091463
                  results are up at tilastopaja.net
                  And at IAAF site: http://www.iaaf.org/GP08/results/area/e ... index.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    World outdoor and indoor champion and Olympic gold medallist Valerie Vili took her second win in a row in Rovereto in a women’s Shot Put where the new “sudden-death” EAA rule, which will be in force at next year’s European Nations’ Championships, was tested. According to this rule only the first four qualify for the final two attempts. The final results are determined by the releases produced in the fourth round without taking the first two attempts into account.

                    This time the last round did not produce any upsets in the ranking in the fourth and final attempt. Vili, Olympic champion in Beijing, began well with 19.31 in the first round. After a foul and an 18.99 in the following rounds, the New Zealander clinched the final win with 19.73 repeating the success of 2007 in this meeting.

                    “I don’t like this rule. The competition was very short. But I liked competing in Rovereto,” said Vili.
                    That rule change doesn't make much sense.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      They are testing the new rules in certain competitions this year, and I hope that will be their conclusion.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        And yet another ``let's make competitions short and exciting, and to
                        hell with finding the most worthy winner'' rule. How about TFN
                        organizing a protest list of some kind, advocating that rule changes
                        must come on the initiative and with the approval of the athletes?

                        I would add my name in a heart-beat.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by croflash
                          World outdoor and indoor champion and Olympic gold medallist Valerie Vili took her second win in a row in Rovereto in a women’s Shot Put where the new “sudden-death” EAA rule, which will be in force at next year’s European Nations’ Championships, was tested. According to this rule only the first four qualify for the final two attempts. The final results are determined by the releases produced in the fourth round without taking the first two attempts into account.

                          This time the last round did not produce any upsets in the ranking in the fourth and final attempt. Vili, Olympic champion in Beijing, began well with 19.31 in the first round. After a foul and an 18.99 in the following rounds, the New Zealander clinched the final win with 19.73 repeating the success of 2007 in this meeting.

                          “I don’t like this rule. The competition was very short. But I liked competing in Rovereto,” said Vili.
                          This language is flawed:
                          "The final results are determined by the releases produced in the fourth round without taking the first two attempts into account.

                          That rule change doesn't make much sense.
                          I presume that it means,

                          "For the top four contestants, only marks made on the final four throws will count without taking into consideration the first two throws."

                          Alternatively, only the last two matter, without consideration of the first four.

                          Both are rather poor rules and really affect contestants differently. Certain techniques/sizes produce more fouls than others. This issue is more important because the design of the throwing circle was made many decades ago with smaller contestants and less force involved and now staying in the ring can be difficult. If it rains, you might see the last contestant throwing 50 feet on a safe throw after everyone else has fouled, especially if it is only the last two attempts that count.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 26mi235
                            Originally posted by croflash
                            This language is flawed:
                            "The final results are determined by the releases produced in the fourth round without taking the first two attempts into account.

                            That rule change doesn't make much sense.
                            I presume that it means,

                            "For the top four contestants, only marks made on the final four throws will count without taking into consideration the first two throws."

                            Alternatively, only the last two matter, without consideration of the first four.
                            It's neither. The correct version would be:
                            "The final results are determined by the releases produced in the fourth round without taking the first three attempts into account."

                            The whole competition has four rounds. Some of the contestants are eliminated after 2 rounds. Then, after 3 rounds, only the top 4 are left. These 4 get one attempt, and it is only this last attempt that determines the final order.
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              who on earth comes up with this crap. never mind us having a petition, how about the athlete simply refusing to take part. it hows a complete lack of respect for them.

                              don't forget we're alo going to be treated to a 5k where the last competitor on each lap ha to drop out !!! so basically one big fartlek session :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
                              i deserve extra credit

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X