Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that (Pointless) Mascot

I don't know why these people always feel compelled to invent some 'cute' little mascot for their meets, but the Spaniards are up to it this time. The official mascot of the 2010 Barcelona ECs is

He is, as yet, still unnamed, so your job is to name him. I'll start it off with

NoNoz

1-Finger

DroopiEarz

Y-Bother

:roll:

The Euros are in Barcelona, not Madrid.

I'll call him Ug.
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
      The Euros are in Barcelona, not Madrid.
      I'll call him Ug.
      I was trying to shield Barcelona from the humiliation. 8-)

Comment

Re: Name that (Pointless) Mascot

Originally posted by Marlow

Anyone notice that both his right leg and right arm are forward and both his left leg and left arm are back? Anyone ever actually tried to run that way? It's funny, to be sure, but it's not exactly efficient.

Comment

I guess he´s an ambler (?) like some horses and all camels....
          I´ve also noticed that a lot of the distance runners (from 800- ) use the same move when take off from start and lose like 0,5 sec. I wonder why even elite runners can afford that....bad coaches probably.

Comment

I don't know why these people always feel compelled to invent some 'cute' little mascot for their meets, but the Spaniards are up to it this time. The official mascot of the 2010 Barcelona ECs is

He is, as yet, still unnamed, so your job is to name him.
            tafnut

Comment

Originally posted by observer2
              I´ve also noticed that a lot of the distance runners (from 800- ) use the same move when take off from start and lose like 0,5 sec. I wonder why even elite runners can afford that....bad coaches probably.
              good job observer. most distance runners put the same arm forward as the toe that's on the line. Then they have to shift their balance to start off. Of course, most of them also push off the back foot, lifting up the front foot to move it forward for a little half-step when the gun sounds. Wasteful.

Comment

This is quite obviously the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, last seen many years ago melting in downtown Manhattan. Keep him away from Bill Murray.

Comment

Originally posted by observer2
                  Another reason why he could be in that position is if he is handing off (or possibly receiving) the baton.

I don't see a baton, so lets call this guy USA.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj

tafnut
                    No, no, no, that mascot is way too lean and muscular! I happen to know for a fact that the erstwhile tafnut is a 320-pound video game geek who lives in his mommy's basement. He has an 8th-grade education (he turned 16 half way through the year and mercifully dropped out) and his only foray into track & field was the shot put, where he trained for a month and then quit because his throws couldn't clear the concrete pad around the circle. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by ponytayne
                      [
                      Anyone notice that both his right leg and right arm are forward and both his left leg and left arm are back? Anyone ever actually tried to run that way? It's funny, to be sure, but it's not exactly efficient.
                      Actually, Percy Cerruty was convinced that was the way to run; something about keeping the chest cavity open for maximum usage of the lungs or the like. Back in the late '60s he had a guy he was trying to coach that way (Toohey, maybe?).

There was an historical thread recently in which somebody basically asked if he was a genius or a nut-bar. I rest my case.

ps--since the mascot has "B10" on his chest the fix is already in, and a health foods manufacturer is going to get the rights to name him "Vitamin"

Comment

looks like a young Ross Perot...

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                          looks like a young Ross Perot...

If so, wonder if it makes "a giant sucking sound" when it runs...?

Actually, folks, let's show some respect. This represents a major comeback for "Poppin' Fresh, the Pillsbury Doughboy."

[A fine Minnesota company, btw.]

Comment

He is, as yet, still unnamed, so your job is to name him. I'll start it off with

NoNoz

1-Finger

DroopiEarz

Y-Bother

:roll:
                            I'd call it "Aught" for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Originally posted by ponytayne
                              [
                              Actually, Percy Cerruty was convinced that was the way to run; something about keeping the chest cavity open for maximum usage of the lungs or the like. Back in the late '60s he had a guy he was trying to coach that way (Toohey, maybe?).
                              I remember that the Cerrutty method also created longer strides, as both sides of the body weren't fighting each other (even if oppsing the arms and legs maintained balance.)

I tried it a couple times, but it produced a very awkward lunging stride. I suspect that it was a longer stride, but it took a lot of concentration to avoid tripping and immediately switching to what came naturally.

Comment

Working...
                              X