Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I"m confusing it with the Z├╝rich-Berlin-Cologne triad that preceded the Euros.

Ahh, for the good old days when they weren't programming the meets into a TV schedule. Z was on Wednesday night, Berlin on Friday night and Cologne on Sunday afternoon. Those were fun days for track tourists.

And in the trains & boats & planes department:

We trained from Z to Berlin through Munich, flew from Berlin to Cologne, then took the boat down the Rhine as far as Mainz before bussing into Stuttgart!

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
      guarantee you it is colder in stuttgart. gateshead was wet but not that cold. stuttgart had a forecast of 59 F.
      folks it is september, this is a summertime month, it should be sunny and warm at the minimum.
      this is probably why they choose greece for next year. i think you will find the southern european countries getting this meet a lot in the future. i hope
      It's been warm the last two years and September has been a warm month too recently. Unfortunately this summer has been cold compared to recent editions and it didn't change in September. Just a bad coincidence.

Originally posted by gh
      As I recall the '86 Euros in Stuttgart (somelike like August 26-31 if memory serves) the first 4-5 days were terrific, then we got really gold rain and the place turned dismal quickly.

I've stayed in Stuttgart three times and found it a terrific place to be a "tourist." I'm greatly saddened at the prospect of no more major meets there.... ever?
      The indoor meet in February will still be there, but that's only a poor consolation. Now I see that the weather was bad today, the local football team was playing at the same time about 50km away from the stadium in Hoffenheim and the promotion was far from perfec too. However, you would still expect more than 18.000 spectators and it's not been that much better in 2006 and 2007 either. Realistically, those who are here, are enthusiastic for the most part, but if only 36 % of the capacity is filled, it is not satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        I've stayed in Stuttgart three times and found it a terrific place to be a "tourist." I'm greatly saddened at the prospect of no more major meets there.... ever?
        Ah, Stuttgart. I've been in the town only the once, in '93. One of my finest travel experiences. The people were extreemly friendly. We probably had more conversations with the man/woman in the street than on the rest of our travels combined. At least to that point. And they didn't make fun of my pretty wretched German. Of course, it didn't hurt any that it probably was the finest meet I have attended.

I did have one other experience in the Stuttgart area. When I was in the army, in the mid 60s, a friend and I decided to take a leave to Austria and learn to ski. That was a blast, until my buddy broke his ankle on the penultament day. The first US base back in Germany was in the Stuttgart area (Ludswigsburg?). I drove up to the hospital, went in and told the medics that I had a guy in the car with a broken leg. They rolled out a gurney, strapped Bob to it, and rolled him. He was shouting obscenities at me when they carted him off. When I got back to my base (north of Frankfurt), my CO asked me how the car made it back. "Gee, sir, I really don't remember". "Maybe you ought get a civilian driver's license. Bob will probably need a chauffer for awhile".

Oh, just remembered. In '87, after the WC, we flew home out of Stuttgart, but that was just the airport. Airports don't count.

Comment

GH--Regarding the stop in Mainz on the trip up the Rhine after Cologne, do you ever hear from the little old drunk man who entertained everyone at the outdoor dinner?

Comment

yeah, he posts here regularly now; I'll let you guess his name.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              "Little old drunk man?"

OK, so we can eliminate 10% of the posters here. That just leaves the other 90%...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                Originally posted by gh
                "Little old drunk man?"

OK, so we can eliminate 10% of the posters here. That just leaves the other 90%...
                I'm tall, so now we're down to 89 % ...

Comment

Working...
                X