Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

by shoulder, they seem to be looking at insertion of clavicle at the shoulder as "torso" & not the furthermost position of the deltoid muscle

in a classic lean, upper torso crosses 1st, with clavicle being uppermost, the point of reference - at inner part of deltoid or junction with sternum

jw has a twisted, oblique lean with 2nd green line representing insertion of clavicle into shoulder - the applicable line, not 1st one which just outlines the deltoid

albeit, 1st line doesn't seem to delineate lashawn's clavicle that well either, but if you had to split them, his clavicle is likely further forward than 2nd line as L part of his torso is further forward than R

Comment

Looks like a case where the guy who won, lost and the guy who really wanted the win, won!
      Im sure it is not the first time. (a little extra musculature on the trapazoid can
      come in handy every now and then). Had Wariner made a text book lean he
      would have won. Looks like this rivalry will go on next year, would be great to see
      a 300m or 600m race between them this winter.
      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

The photo looked similar to a bob in horse racing. Wariner had more of his body across the line but Merritt had the all important torso.

Comment

It looks to me that they tied.

Comment

This is a perfect example why its absolutely impossible for 4 guys sitting up in the stands with cameras taking video of races and providing accurate 10m splits down to the 100th of a second.

I still can't figure how Merritt bear Wariner in that photo. What I want to see is the back-up photo of the tea leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by malmo

I still can't figure how Merritt bear Wariner in that photo. What I want to see is the back-up photo of the tea leaves.
              When I first saw that photo, I was thinking the same thing, malmo.
              But as I looked closer and imagined what the reverse-angle photo looks
              like (the adjudicators get both), it would show that LM's Left clavicle (as
              Eldrick points out) hits the tape before any part of JW's torso proper (in
              this case, his right clavicle or pectoral muscle) does.
              But I do agree with others that most of JW's body was there first and had
              he done a proper lean, he wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf
                It looks to me that they tied.
                looking at it again and again, it looks like jack is right.
                ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

The picture makes it clear to me that Wariner's coach should be:

Gail Devers!!!!!!!
                  >:-)
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
                    Originally posted by malmo

When I first saw that photo, I was thinking the same thing, malmo.
                    But as I looked closer and imagined what the reverse-angle photo looks
                    like (the adjudicators get both), it would show that LM's Left clavicle (as
                    Eldrick points out) hits the tape before any part of JW's torso proper (in
                    this case, his right clavicle or pectoral muscle) does.
                    But I do agree with others that most of JW's body was there first and had
                    he done a proper lean, he wins.
                    What is a little confusing is to look at the 3/4 placing and contrast how they determined those places; it looks like there could be an inconsistency.

Comment

IMO, they got 3rd and 4th place right. This should have been declared a tie for first but if ya gotta have a winner,it was Warriner.

Comment

Unless there is another photo, from the inside of the track, I can't believe they separated LM and JW in the results. Obviously, there are external factors requiring a "winner", but there is no way they can determine that from that photo. On the other hand, they could be applying some karma to JW for the worst ever pose at the finish line. Who was he looking at on the infield?

Comment

Since when did the neck crossing the line (Merritt) or the right ear (Wariner) constitute finishing a race?

It's supposed to be the torso, and at the times they were given (44.50 & 44.51), neither had actually finished, in my opinion. That photo therefore makes it very difficult to decide the winner.

Comment

you know, If I were a judge and an Olympic Champion were willing to hurl his body to the asphalt for the sake of competition I would give him 1/100th for the effort. ...

Comment

Maybe I need a refresher course in the rules, but that surely looks like a Wariner win to me! (or at worst a tie)

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                                IMO, they got 3rd and 4th place right. This should have been declared a tie for first but if ya gotta have a winner,it was Wariner.
                                What I meant, to be clear, is that the photo for third and fourth appear to give the decision there that is a reverse (shoulder, etc) of the one for first and second.

Comment

Working...
                                X