4 ) Lisa Dobriskey GBR 4:07.72 .
    5 ) Shannon Rowbury USA 4:08.16 .
    6 ) Nuria Fernández ESP 4:08.24 .
    7 ) Sylwia Ejdys POL 4:08.56 .
    8 ) Erin Donohue USA 4:08.64 .
    9 ) Sarah Jamieson AUS 4:09.21 .
    10) Agnes Samaria NAM 4:12.20 .
    10) Btissam Lakhouad MAR 4:18.68 .
    Well "Maryam Yusuf Jamal" won again :x , and in quite an impressive way :roll: . Gelete Burka was really agressive but faded badly in the last 100 meter ops: . And Lisa Dobriskey finished 4th again :roll: , what a shame to see someone with so much natural talent go out and run with such poor tactics .
    Go African athletes!

Who should be ranked no.1 in this event? Can Jamal really be ranked first having only finished fourth at the World Indoors and fifth at the Olympics? Burka was crap in Beijing and Olympic champ Lagat and bronze medallist Tobias have had one good race and nothing much else. Lishchynska have had a few dodgy races but she's been second and third at the Olympics and WAF but probably shouldn't be ranked first.
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by PanAfrican Athletics
      nothing surprising here

in a slow race jamal shoudn't lose as she has 1'58 speed ( no one else around on circuit is much better than 2'00 )

in a fast race she can go 3'56 whereas most are 4'00 mark

if she's running well, she shoudn't lose

as for lisa, she is on a par with the ukrainian but is inferior to burka who just ran a 4'18.23 which converts to a 3'59.4

if she ran her best, she'd be fighting the ukrainian & rowbury for 3rd, so i can't see why 4th is a disappointment

she's good, but far from number 1 material

Comment

if anything, the gal with most talent behind jamal is burka with astonishing 8'25 ability from 2y ago

that is by far the best endurance of any 1500 gal

she finds some 800 speed with that & she'll be going 3'57

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
          if anything, the gal with most talent behind jamal is burka with astonishing 8'25 ability from 2y ago

that is by far the best endurance of any 1500 gal

she finds some 800 speed with that & she'll be going 3'57
          Her 3000m PB isn't the best indicator of her endurance - Jamal ran sub-8:30 twice in 2005. She ran 8:28 in Oslo, beating Ochichi and 8:29 in Zurich, beating Adere and winning both races.

However, Burka is the only athlete to mix it over the 8km XC distance.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
            Her 3000m PB isn't the best indicator of her endurance
            ?

than what do you suggest is ?

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
              Originally posted by nevetsllim
              Her 3000m PB isn't the best indicator of her endurance
              ?

than what do you suggest is ?
              A 71-minute HMar PB.

Comment

Actually ignore that, we're talking about Burka. I've confused myself. Burka's cross-country endurance is more superior to Jamal's. They have similar 3000m PBs but I very much doubt Jamal could be that competitive with Burka over 8km at the world-cross (but her HM PB might prove me wrong...)

Comment

i'd definitely consider 8'25 far superior to an 8'28 if both were well-wabbited, even-paced races

8'25 is geting down to the 8'21 level most used to consider the "true" wr - likes of wami/ouaziz/szao used to battle out at 8'25 on the circuit

i'd have to definitely give edge to burka in endurance & by that , i mean 3k

( if your a 1500 runner, it's common sense to assign speed as the next commonly event shorter ( 800m ) & endurance to next commonly run event further ( 3k ) )

Comment

In hindsight, I agree because the pace slowed in the Stockholm 3000m (the race Burka was in) after Komyagina dropped out and she also ran 8:31i, despite rubbish pacemaking.

I can't remember what the pacing was like in Jamal's sub-8:30 clockings.

Comment

i normally take off 5 - 7s for conversions of women's 3k indoors/out

so 8'31i is maybe 8'24 - 8'26 outdoors & if poorly paced, we are getting close to 8'21 - remember also, she ran 8'31i in birmingham which is a shit track for chasing distance times ( i know geb/kennster have done so there, but it's not a german autobahn fast indoor track ) - when szabo ran the 8'32iwr, she complained how dead her legs felt in latter part of the race due to the track

if 3k was still the event instead of 5k & no diby/defar/melkamu around, burka coud be moral 3k wr holder !

Comment

Working...
                      X