US shut out of AOY Top 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US shut out of AOY Top 10?

In the 50 year history of T&FN Athlete of Year voting, I don't believe the US has EVER been completely shut out of the top 10 for both men and women.

Will it happen this year?

I can't see any US women even close to the top 10.
    On the men's side, only Clay and possibly Taylor seem to have an outside shot.

Thoughts?

By the way, happy anniversary!

Comment

OK...after looking at all the events a little more closely ops: it appears that Clay should indeed make the top 10. Too many other event leaders have major blemishes on their seasons. Depends on the voters, of course.

Still, this figures to be the worst showing ever for the US.

Comment

Merritt?

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
          Merritt?
          I would think so.

Comment

I would definitely put Merritt in the top-10 and probably Clay as well.
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
              I would definitely put Merritt in the top-10 and probably Clay as well.
              Clay above Merritt, in my opinion. It is always tough to judge Multi people because there are so few events.

Comment

Bolt, Bekele, Robles, Kozmus, Clay, Silnov, Wanjiru and Thorkildsen all have a better case than Merritt IMO... but unless I'm forgetting somebody, he'd probably sneak into my list as #9 or #10?

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                  Bolt, Bekele, Robles, Kozmus, Clay, Silnov, Wanjiru and Thorkildsen all have a better case than Merritt IMO... but unless I'm forgetting somebody, he'd probably sneak into my list as #9 or #10?
                  I would also put Saladino, Kanter, Evora and possibly Koech above Merritt. Also, depending upon what Geb does in Berlin, he could make the top 10 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Miler
                    Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                    I would also put Saladino, Kanter, Evora and possibly Koech above Merritt. Also, depending upon what Geb does in Berlin, he could make the top 10 as well.
                    I agree they are all very good contenders for top 10 (as are, I think, Lukyanenko and Schwazer), but personally find Merritt's argument stronger. Merritt rose to #5 on all-time performance list and got a positive head-to-head record against no less than Jeremy Wariner (including wins at the most important moments). Saladino's season was plagued by injuries which completely ruined his expected GL jackpot hunt. Kanter had an unimpressive first half of season, losing repeatedly to both Alekna and Hadadi and only taking 4th in mDT's only GL appearance this year (Berlin) - if he throws a huge mark in the ERGO World Discus Challenge tomorrow I might reconsider his case. Evora isn't even a clear #1 in his own event, with Idowu's much more numerous top marks, OG silver and (with an almost world indoor record) WIC gold. Koech had a strong season but didn't take part at OG or come anywhere near the WR. Lukyanenko lost to Hooker at Beijing (otherwise a clear top 5) and Schwazer to Nizhegorodov's WR at Cheboksary. Berlin not having been run yet, Geb is naturally unclear...

Comment

Geb might already have a case for the top-ten without Berlin:

* second fastest marathon of all-time (2:04:53 in Dubai)
                      * fastest half-marathon of the year (Lisbon: 59:15)
                      * third fastest 10000m of the year (second at Hengelo, beating back Kipchoge, Gebremarian, and other quality athletes)
                      * 6th in the Olympics 10000m

Comment

all males mentioned, must be old school guys who don't think female at all...

stycyznski....after that... who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
                          all males mentioned, must be old school guys who don't think female at all...

We're not dissing the ladies...thread is about US not making the top 10. Don't think there are any US women who will make it. You're not suggesting Stuczynski should be in the top 10, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by joeltetreault
                            Geb might already have a case for the top-ten without Berlin:

* fastest half-marathon of the year (Lisbon: 59:15)
                            Garry might be able to clear this up: Are road races (not including Marathon) even considered by AOY voters?

Comment

What?
                              Stuzcynski?
                              Seriously?

You think she should be athlete of the year? :shock:
                              Go African athletes!

Comment

Working...
                              X