Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snation
    Suhr was caught in a duel relationship: paramour and coach. If he enters that duality he needs to keep boundaries on what role he plays. When I saw the event and the commentaries, I thought he was much ruder than a coach should be. The comments when read aren't so bad, it was the tone.

Suhr needed to remember his role was coach, not paramour; his comments should be more objective. However this statement is revealing:
    I'm a very personal guy; I don't like being miked. But it was an opportunity for Jenn. If she stuck a big jump, she'd be a millionaire in endorsements. It didn't work out that way."...

Suhr said the Olympics were not how people perceive them.

"It's not all cuddly and nice," he said. "This is big money, big promoter, big agents. It's how people make their living. If people don't medal, (those around them) don't have a job on Monday."

He agreed he can be more like gruff Bill Parcells than congenial Tony Dungy but said the stakes were too high to change his style.

"This is not baking brownies at a Girl Scout camp," he said. "This is the real thing. And this was good coaching."
    Ahah. Suhr watched a million dollars evaporate (from his 'personal' life).

Ouch, and that reveals why the partner responded and not the professional coach. That's the trouble with duel relationships...it's not always bad, but the boundaries get confused.
    Ahah. Snation, you don't know what you're talking about. How much time have you spent with Jen and Rick? Who have you coached in the Olympics? You are judging things you know nothing about.

I like Suhr. I don't know him personally, but I like that he isn't politically correct. It's refreshing. I like that he has mentored and coached an athlete from soup to nuts to the highest level OUTSIDE the good graces of the American pole-vaultterati. (Their open jealousy is embarrassing). He is right to be pissed at the terrorists behind the keyboards. And being aware of the endorsement dollars awaiting he and his athlete if she sticks her jumps does not mean it was the motivation. All athletes and coaches trying to win Olympic gold are aware of the potential financial implications.

And BTW, I have never met a great coach who didn't have a "Rick Suhr" side to him or her. Rick just doesn't seem to care that anyone knows it. And THAT makes me like him even more.

Comment

Originally posted by decafan
      He is right to be pissed at the terrorists behind the keyboards. .
      WOW! :shock: So Suhr can blast Jenn and thats fine but if we blast Suhr we are terrorists :lol: ?
      phsstt!

Comment

polevaultpower wrote:

All of the vaulters struggled with the runway. Watch the videos, the vast majority of misses were coming down on the bar. The champions dealt with it the best.
        You have to be kidding me "polevaultpower"? So you are saying that Brad Walker is not as much of a champion as the Australian or Russian? Who are you to be critical of Walker, our American Champion and American Record Holder? My guess is you have never dealt with world-class competition. For somebody who runs a pole vault site in the US I would think that you would have a little more support for American pole vaulting. You have the nerve to call Walker a non-champion? You constantly blast Stuczynski and her coach, either you are for American vaulting or your not...there is no middle ground. By being a true pole vault fan you support the best that your country has to offer. That happens to be Walker and Stuczynski. Why all the negativity towards either one simply say I support them or I don't, leave it at that and as for the rest of the american pole vault critics peoples personal lives are their personal lives and it's really none of our business. It is not our place on any chat line to judge someones personal life. What maturity level are we at here?

Comment

Ooohhh, this is going to get good. Now everyone take a deep breath and vow to behave yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by 30yrs-coaching
            polevaultpower wrote:

All of the vaulters struggled with the runway. Watch the videos, the vast majority of misses were coming down on the bar. The champions dealt with it the best.
            You have to be kidding me "polevaultpower"? So you are saying that Brad Walker is not as much of a champion as the Australian or Russian? Who are you to be critical of Walker, our American Champion and American Record Holder? My guess is you have never dealt with world-class competition. For somebody who runs a pole vault site in the US I would think that you would have a little more support for American pole vaulting. You have the nerve to call Walker a non-champion? You constantly blast Stuczynski and her coach, either you are for American vaulting or your not...there is no middle ground. By being a true pole vault fan you support the best that your country has to offer. That happens to be Walker and Stuczynski. Why all the negativity towards either one simply say I support them or I don't, leave it at that and as for the rest of the american pole vault critics peoples personal lives are their personal lives and it's really none of our business. It is not our place on any chat line to judge someones personal life. What maturity level are we at here?
            I suspect that you are over-interpreting the original post. If you look at it
            in its entirety, it seems to be supportive of Walker---as do other posts by
            polevaultpower. The ``champions'' remark, to me, is likely no more than an
            unfortunate formulation with no ill-will or disrespect behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
              The ``champions'' remark, to me, is likely no more than an
              unfortunate formulation with no ill-will or disrespect behind it.
              Absolutely. Becca is one of the most rah-rah, positive PV fans around. She meant no disrespect of Walker and is NOT anti-Suhr/Jennski. She 'understands' the PV and its practitioners better than 99.9% of the rest of us PV fans.

Comment

30-yrs: It might behoove you to 1) read an entire post before commenting, and 2) read more than one post from an author before belittling her. PVP is probably the most knowledgeable poster about her event on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Snation
                  Ahah. Suhr watched a million dollars evaporate (from his 'personal' life).
                  How do you figure?

Jenn was picked by most experts to finish no higher than 2nd, which she did. As much as Suhr believed in her and in his coaching, I don't think he was surprised by the silver medal. He was disappointed that she didn't "stick" her jump, and probably that she could go no higher than 4.80. But she would have had to beat Isi with a WR performance 13 cm higher than she had ever jumped before in order to cash in on any more endorsement dollars than she was making already.

There's just no way he "watched a million dollars evaporate".

Comment

After looking closer at what polevaultpower said it may very well be interpreted either way. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Marlow said "Becca" who is Becca?... I thought a guy ran polevaultpower. My point is simply let's get rid of the negativity towards American vaulters, this is not helping the event move forward. Let's just keep it positive or just not comment at all, me included. If I'm reading what polevaultpower said incorrectly then I stand corrected.

Comment

either you are for American vaulting or your not...there is no middle ground.
                      You are exaggerating here, right?

Comment

let's get rid of the negativity
                        How about practicing what you preach! :wink:

Comment

polevaultpower wrote:

RELAX! 30yrs coaching, I'm putting you in time out. Holy cow. While I do not always agree with Becca (polevaultpower), I have to defend her here. She has ALWAYS been a huge supporter of Brad Walker. She has always been a huge supporter of American pole vaulters. You are way out of line. Her quote, "The champions dealt with it the best." She obviously meant the 2008 Olympic Champions dealt with the poorly run event best. Which they did (as their shiny gold medals are proof).

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            WOW! :shock: So Suhr can blast Jenn and thats fine but if we blast Suhr we are terrorists :lol: ?
                            Not you. Not THIS message board. This is actually a civil board. I believe Rick was referring to Letsrun and polevaultpower. There were terrible posts about him on both sites after the Games.

Comment

30 years coaching may have been coaching for 30 years but has only 16 post on this forum. Obviously he is hardly qualified to critique Beccas's credentials and history. His intemporate comments were way out of line.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                                Not you. Not THIS message board. This is actually a civil board. I believe Rick was referring to Letsrun and polevaultpower. There were terrible posts about him on both sites after the Games.
                                Oh, ok, i was pretty angry at him. He just touched an old nerve of really bad memories of a verbally abusive coach. I probably wasnt entirely fair to the man.
                                phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                                X