Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Millrose Games

<<Millrose took a hit, with Mo Greene withdrawing from the M 60m. He has been replaced by Coby Miller.<<

i think mo's olympic campaign took a hit, i seriously doubt if he would make the team either in the 100 or the 200.
    millrose is always exciting to me even on tv.
    i hope nbc does a better job than espn did yesterday...

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=16122

Might be an opportunity for some good seats if you've got five friends to go with you.

Comment

The new management actually lowered the ticket prices on the upper two levels which is where most of the empty seats have been in recent years. They appear committed to building up the crowd again. "Blue Heaven" is only $15 for individuals and $10 for groups. I believe the lower levels remain as expensive as the past, however.

Comment

I'm not really sure what people are complaining about here, unless having one of the last remaining top-flight indoor meets in the U.S. isn't good enough for you...

Sure the tickets have gone up in recent years, but folks, so has the money to pay the athletes!! And look where this meet is... it isn't in Boise or Tulsa, it's right in the middle of Manhattan! I'm sure the Garden doesn't rent cheap just because the event is a track meet and not some idiot $100 a ticket concert.

Anyway, as someone mentioned above, Milrose tickets are still relatively inexpensive compared to other sports where the athletes are paid even more. I mean you can try to go see the non-playoff-bound Rangers or Knicks and $50 won't get you through the Garden door. And while those teams play 40 home games a year, how often is there a big-time track meet in NYC? ONCE A YEAR.

This goes back to my contention that one of the biggest problems of our sport is the mentality of U.S. track fans themselves. They claim up and down how much they love the sport, and constantly bemoan its reduced status, but they can't bring themselves to buy a $40 ticket once a year to support this sport they "love." Instead they bitch and moan about the quality of the fields (as if this had no relationship with ticket prices and attendance), and endlessly reminice about how they got to see Jim Ryun run sub-4 for $3 nearly 40 years ago.

One of these days, and it probably won't be long now, Milrose will go the way of all of the other big fixtures on the old indoor track calendar, and those same people will be busy clucking their tongues about what a shame it is that its gone. But, while it was still here and needed folks to show thier support, it was too expensive and just not good enough. No, our "fans" deserve guaranteed top-end fields at low low prices or they won't be bothered to show up...

...and they're also quite upset that that big bunny no longer comes around on Easter and leaves them colored eggs...

Comment

...and they're also quite upset that that big bunny no longer comes around on Easter and leaves them colored eggs...

HE DOESN'T!!!!! OMIGOD, I'M GONNA CRY!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I know... sad, but true. And athletes want to be paid in real money too!!

Comment

I'd pay
                >$60-70 (or even more) to see Penn Relays (it's only $30). Penn Relays is WORTH
                >EVERY PENNY!!!!!!!!

Curious about this -- I've tried to convince myself for years that I should head up the road to Penn Relays, but because my interest (admittedly elitist, jaded) is in world-class or national-class competition, not high-school or "league-class" college events, I've never felt much interest in going to Penn. It just seems to be a lot of high-school and minor-league collegians running relays. Absolutely wonderful as an event to participate in, but would I really enjoy being in the stands? Advise, please --

Comment

you should go. The overall atmosphere is really neat, plus on Saturday, those championship relays at the University Level are very high caliber.

Comment

Miler Monkey,

I suggest taking a look at the results of Penn Relays sometime. If you look at the Championship events, these are the very best collegiate athletes in the nation. Once you get to the USA vs the World events, you get even higher caliber. Athletes I saw compete in one day at Penn:

Marion Jones
                    Michael Johnson
                    Maurice Greene
                    Tim Harden
                    Jon Drummond
                    Kim Collins
                    Darvis Patton
                    Alan Webb
                    Mike Stember
                    Jon Riley
                    Leonard Scott
                    Justin Gatlin
                    Inger Miller
                    Christie Gaines
                    Walter Davis
                    Dathan Ritzenhein

The list is incomplete and should be much longer. This was one day.

Comment

I agree with Steve. I fully admit to being a terrible track snob--if a 1500 isn't under 3:30, or a 5000 under 13:00, who cares? BUT, I have to say that meets like Penn represent something vital and important about the sport--the involvement of many athletes & families, the carnival-like atmosphere, the tradition, etc. It's a nice "throwback" to an earlier era...

Comment

KevinM's list of Penn appearees in one day is indeed impressive, but is there anybody on that list who competed in an individual event that day? Not everybody in the world is enamoured of watching relay events, particularly contrived ones that compose of two highly paid Nike teams masquerading as USA Red and USA Blue. That's a pre-season exhibition game in the world of real elite track.

Comment

"if a 1500 isn't under 3:30, or a 5000 under 13:00, who cares?"

You just ruled out the NCAA's and the Olympic Trials, two of the best meets on the planet. And I though I was an elitest! I don't buy 'it's all about the competition' either, because you can get that literally anywhere - but you have just made T&F a very tough sport to 'enjoy.'

Comment

I was exaggerating slightly, of course, but basically, yes, you're right! Admitting one has a problem (elitism) is the first step to finding a cure...or something like that.

Comment

We should form some kind of support group or develop a 12 step program...guess what, never liked to admit it before but I'm an elitist too. Never get particularly excited about relays (except at the OG or WC's) or contrived competitions like USA Red vs. USA Blue. Any advice on how to cure this awful condition?

Comment

go to a high school dual meet and just sit there and relax. It's FUN.

Comment

Working...
                                X