Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigeria to Win 10 GOLD medals in next OG

from home-page-linked article:

Sunday Bada, technical director of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria, (AFN) says that there is no reason why Nigeria cannot win 10 [T&F] gold medals at the next Olympic Games scheduled to hold in London in 2012 if Jamaica could win seven at this summer's edition in Beijing, China.
    a. Jamaica will not win 7 at the next OG (it's called regression to the mean).
    b. Even if Jam DID win 7 more gold, what's that got to do with Nigeria?
    c. Even if Nigeria had the talent to win 10, they do not have the resources.
    d. Saying outrageous things like this is presumably meant to intill hope and will. Instead, it typically elicits derision from 'cynics' like me! :wink:

Resources are one huge ingredient to what is missing for Nigeria to make a better, more serious run at a higher medal tally. Management of those (lacking) resources is another.

Comment

Re: Nigeria to Win 10 GOLD medals in next OG

Originally posted by Marlow
      Even if Jam DID win 7 more gold, what's that got to do with Nigeria?
      What that's got to do with Nigeria is that if Jamaica does win 7 more gold, it is almost inconceivable that Nigeria could win 10 gold in the same Olympics. I think Mr. Bada may have missed this point, too.

Comment

Perhaps Stephen Cherono will pay Nigeria 1.000-USD/month to move out of dodge - uh, Qatar - and represent Nigeria in four years time. That:s one in the steeple.

Comment

In all fairness, the claim is not that Jamaica would win _another_ seven golds,
          just that they won seven golds in Beijing.

I would be prepared to agree with e.g. the following (hypothetical) statement:

``Looking at the recent success of Jamaica, the relative size of our
          populations, genetic similarities, and similar issues, Nigeria could well be
          capable of winning ten golds in a single future Olympics---if we improve our
          infrastructure, training education, sponsoring, etc. sufficiently to actually
          utilize our talents.''

Comment

Well Nigeria are deffo going to win GOLD in Lawn Bowls!!! :mrgreen:

Comment

At least they have ambitions. Although this reminds of what Said Aouita said when he was wired as technical director in Marocco recently, they also want to win 10+ gold medals in London.

Comment

Sunday Bada, technical director of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria, (AFN) says that there is no reason why Nigeria cannot win 10 [T&F] gold medals at the next Olympic Games scheduled to hold in London in 2012 if Jamaica could win seven at this summer's edition in Beijing, China.
                a. Jamaica will not win 7 at the next OG (it's called regression to the mean).
                b. Even if Jam DID win 7 more gold, what's that got to do with Nigeria?
                c. Even if Nigeria had the talent to win 10, they do not have the resources.
                d. Saying outrageous things like this is presumably meant to intill hope and will. Instead, it typically elicits derision from 'cynics' like me! :wink:
                The statement really holds some water, but before I go any deeper what's up with the JAM not winning 7 gold medals chant. Please dont tell me that you are going to qualify athletic prowess through a statistics calculator. Though its ulikely they might (win 7 golds) let it be said by us as t&f oficionados that its because other countries are likely to improve their preparedness (ie. US), dont give us this regression model B.S.

Now,
                Nigeria really has a right to show some hope of getting 10 even 12 golds. You are not remembering that their thinking is that athletic prowess is largely genetic and Jamaicans are genetically linked to Nigerians. I mean, they have great sprinters and a poor athletics programme. They only need to get their acts together and the world is in trouble (even Jamaica). Similar to Jamaica, athletes with Nigerian origins have become world beaters for other countries(take your pick).
                Even take the caseof football, a sport for which they are world renowned and still have a lot of work to do. Nigeria can win the WC if they have a full comprehensive programme just look at the many stars they supply.

Comment

I would think that 10 finalists would be a reasonable goal, and an exceptional result, for Nigeria in 2012.

Comment

A thing that has been nagging at me: What seven golds? I can only
                    count six. (Bolt x 3, Fraser, VCB, and Walker.) Am I missing someone?

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
                      Am I missing someone?
                      Think 37.10.

Comment

Think again. That was one of Bolt's 3, which he counted.

Comment

Maybe they gave Glen Mills one of those "replica" medals the US coaches got.

Comment

The only thing needed to make that medal count correct is a change of tense. Perhaps he meant to say " . . .if Jamaica could have won seven at this summer's edition . . . ."

That's certainly true. They could have won the women's 4x100. It just so happens that they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman

The only thing needed to make that medal count correct is a change of tense. Perhaps he meant to say " . . .if Jamaica could have won seven at this summer's edition . . . ."

That's certainly true. They could have won the women's 4x100. It just so happens that they didn't.
                              I think the issue of 7 is centered around the discussion of Jamaica going one more in the future. If it was with regard to Beijing, its definately an error. But the actual number is not the issue here, me thinks its the issue of NGR's possible 10 in times to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X