Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women's Shot - How Far The Mghty Have Fallen!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by gh
    So one wouldn't expect high schoolers to be throwing the heavier one.
    On average, an elite woman is weaker than a HS boy. The 11-lber will be too heavy for almost all over them. If you're interested in watching elite women shoving the shot 50', then by all means make the switch.
    This is where we differ. Look at the big women, Valerie Vili, for example. The 4kg shot just disappears in her hand. For the putters of the '70-'80ies, it was actually ridiculous. I remember an instance where Fibingerová's put was disqualified, because she "threw" it instead of "putting"it.

BTW, I am not making any comments on those '80ies putters, just describing what I saw.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
      This is where we differ.
      OK, new tack - Right now the best men putters are those with superior technique. Strongest guy doesn't necessarily win. If you up the wSP to 11 lb, then, relative to men's strength levels vis-a-vis the 16-lber, the event becomes MUCH more a strength event than technique event. The woman with the biggest incline press wins much more often the the man with the best incline. Is that what you want? If so, women's power-lifting already is a sport.

Comment

This is where we differ. Look at the big women, Valerie Vili, for example. The 4kg shot just disappears in her hand. .
        Then bump the diameter to 120mm.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          So one wouldn't expect high schoolers to be throwing the heavier one.
          On average, an elite woman is weaker than a HS boy. The 11-lber will be too heavy for almost all over them. If you're interested in watching elite women shoving the shot 50', then by all means make the switch.
          This is where we differ. Look at the big women, Valerie Vili, for example. The 4kg shot just disappears in her hand. For the putters of the '70-'80ies, it was actually ridiculous. I remember an instance where Fibingerová's put was disqualified, because she "threw" it instead of "putting"it.

BTW, I am not making any comments on those '80ies putters, just describing what I saw.
          Going from 4kg to 5kg for the women is too much I think. But 4.200Kg should be doable. That would give us a WR in the 17-18m (58ft ?) range. Just about where Tamara Press was 40 years ago. Nothing wrong with that.

With the Discus? 1.5Kg? With that weight they could aim for Olga Connolly's old Olympic record from '56. 176ft or 53.68.

At this point I think Women's Discus is the least popular of all the field events. If I was forced to eliminate events, one event at the time, the first to go would be the discus for women.

I think they missed an excellent opportunity when they did not change to new WRs at the new millennium.

Comment

[quote=
            Going from 4kg to 5kg for the women is too much I think. But 4.200Kg should be doable. That would give us a WR in the 17-18m (58ft ?) range. Just about where Tamara Press was 40 years ago. Nothing wrong with that.
            I think they missed an excellent opportunity when they did not change to new WRs at the new millennium.[/quote]

Is 5kg really too much for the adult women. Vili is reported to use 6 and 6.5 kg shots in practice.

"Vili is throwing two extra-heavy shots - 6kg and 6.5kg instead of 4kg - which sink on impact."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/olympic-games ... d=10391311

Would she do this if she lost form doing it?

Comment

[quote=deuch]
              Originally posted by
              I think they missed an excellent opportunity when they did not change to new WRs at the new millennium.[/quote

Is 5kg really too much for the adult women. Vili is reported to use 6 and 6.5 kg shots in practice.

"Vili is throwing two extra-heavy shots - 6kg and 6.5kg instead of 4kg - which sink on impact."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/olympic-games ... d=10391311

Would she do this if she lost form doing it?
              Huh? 4.2kg? That is almost no difference at all. Less than 1/2 pound. I think you would see records in the 19m range with VV.

Comment

Re: Women's Shot - How Far The Mghty Have Fallen!

IAAF has gone to the 3kg shot put for U18. I hope the USATF will do the same thing.
                Rule Changes – Throwing Implement Weights – Youth Girls and MIdget Girls

Comment

woe is the world womens shot put ... it is in a slump, .....

hmmmm did not Val equal the WC record. Not denying the obvious but think ignoring Ms Adams achievements is rather strange ..

let's leave the weight where it is and give Val a chance to correct the history books
                  We all overtrain "Pat Casey to George Frenn"

Comment

The women's shot should be the 5:00kg.
                    I am confident Adams will get over 18m

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki
                      The women's shot should be the 5:00kg.
                      I am confident Adams will get over 18m
                      Yes.
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                      X