Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malmo
    Originally posted by DrJay
    Just because the top end of the steeple list is less deep than is some past years doesn't mean it's a cakewalk to the podium, or even a top five or six finish. Famiglietti has a lot of experience in the event, 3:35.8/27:37 credentials, and got smoked in Beijing, 13th place in 8:31.
    3:35, 13:11, 27:37. With 11 years of experience in the steeplechase (8 of them at the same level), I think that he is also trying to force himself into the wrong event.
    Can you discuss this a little more here, malmo. This case seems a little closer to me, as he made the Final but did not have two quality races in him. Would he have fared better in the 5000 or 10,000. It is my (somewhat vague) impression that he does not have the speed for the 1500 (although he has won a few kicks was well as winning or qualifying by running out ahead).

As for Solinsky, he does not seem to be 'light on his feet' and it is my impression that good steeplers are 'light'.

Comment

I don't know his physical "stats," but Solinsky strikes me as a 3k guy trapped in a one-lapper's body. (Maybe he and JW could "move up" to the 800. :wink: )

Which is to say, he'd need the flexibility and athleticism to handle the SC, and it's not obvious that he does.

But it's a free country, and as the original poster says --

Originally posted by Brian
      Apparently decided a gold medal is more important than beating your head against a brick wall in a "glamor" event. ... Go, dude!

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
        Can you discuss this a little more here, malmo. .
        I think that Famiglietti is a 5000m runner who keeps trying to force himself into the steeplechase. Famiglietti is best at running .... run!

Comment

On the other hand, if you're Fam and you see who you have to contend with to get on the Olympic team in the steeple vs. Lagat, et al, in the 5K, what would you do?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            On the other hand, if you're Fam and you see who you have to contend with to get on the Olympic team in the steeple vs. Lagat, et al, in the 5K, what would you do?
            You spend more time on your website and DVD business. After all, that's what's it's all about isn't it?

http://www.runfam.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Fam had a bad race in Beijing. It happens.

He's turned in some scintillating performances (especially on the road) recently. He'll be back. He's a real pro, and I expect he'll do some great things (in the American context).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                You spend more time on your website and DVD business. After all, that's what's it's all about isn't it?

http://www.runfam.com/
                The more Olympic teams he can claim the better his DVD business will do. That's what it's all about too, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  The more Olympic teams he can claim the better his DVD business will do.
                  No, it didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Having, myself, done some really difficult things - professionally - I marvel at the attention gh can devote to this site (just deleting most of my posts would keep the average fellow fully occupied).

And yet, a very good magazine gets published every month, right on schedule (almost). I stand in awe, really! :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                      Can you discuss this a little more here, malmo. .
                      I think that Famiglietti is a 5000m runner who keeps trying to force himself into the steeplechase. Famiglietti is best at running .... run!

I agree in the sense that Fam's attitude of doing whatever it takes in practice and then going hard from the gun makes him competitive at any distance, certainly the 5,000m. But if he has the aerobic system plumbing (Kenyan level), he might even be a top contender in the 10,000m. eventually.

He mentioned "channeling the spirit of Pre" at Eugene last summer; now's his chance to build on that idea in more concrete ways.

Solinsky has the plumbing for the steeple. But like all technique events, he's looking at 2-4 years of doing things correctly in order to be internationally compeitive, i.e., top 5 in a big race. Working on the steeple as a (primary) event is something I doubt he has felt necessary so far in his career, with the 5 concentration. He's picked a good time to start, four years until the next Games. [Take note, Jeremy.]

Or maybe he'll bomb. He'll show us and we'll all find out together.

Whatever, I want to see him (and others) try the steeple. As long as they respect the event enough to prepare for it seriously. [Otherwise they'll be dead meat anyway and shouldn't bother.]

Comment

Steeplechase ability

In the early '80s when the Kenyans started to dominate distance running and soon afterwards the steeple, I asked Arthur Lydiard, why the Kenyans were so good? Now of course we are all now familiar with the generations of high altitude living, the arduous lifestyle, the many miles running to and from school, and the sheer poverty of the country which makes success in racing very important. However, Lydiard made a comment about the smooth and quick pull through the back leg through the hip. He said he had never seen anything like it in all of his observations. He marveled about how efficient they were. Anyone who has worked with hurdlers knows that this characteristic is a nobrainer. I would guess that a distance runner who has that smoothness in his or her stride would be a fine candidate for the event. Does Solinsky have that smoothness in his pull through?

Comment

Re: Steeplechase ability

Originally posted by PDJ551
                          I would guess that a distance runner who has that smoothness in his or her stride would be a fine candidate for the event. Does Solinsky have that smoothness in his pull through?

Or with serious commitment to preparation, can he (and/or others) learn it?

That's the fun part of watching this sport!

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                            Just because the top end of the steeple list is less deep than is some past years doesn't mean it's a cakewalk to the podium, or even a top five or six finish. Famiglietti has a lot of experience in the event, 3:35.8/27:37 credentials, and got smoked in Beijing, 13th place in 8:31.
                            He took the lead with 3 laps to go and pushed the pace, then exploded. I wonder why? Any thoughts? Did he just realize he would not place and give up, or did he just die?

I think he could choose any event (5k, 10k, Steeple) and the result internationally would be similar. His times are good, but not really up there with the best in the world. You need approximately sub 13:00 5k, sub 8:10 steeple, sub 27:10 (maybe even sub 27) to really be internationally competitive - in the medal hunt.
                            In the sun with a popsicle, everthing is possible

Comment

Solinsky is going to need to show it on the track before I'm convinced he'll make a good steepler. Right now at 8:40 he's a far cry from Dan Lincoln's AR and has a long long way to go since he'll have to be able to run at least that fast in order to "track down a medal." And even with that time as a PR, Lincoln hasn't come close to the podium. in the WC or OG,

As far as Fam goes, ran a really unwise semifinal in Beijing.
                              "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
                                Solinsky is going to need to show it on the track before I'm convinced he'll make a good steepler.
                                Based on his comments in the interview, I think Solinsky has the exact same thought process. He'll see how it goes in '09 and '10 before committing to it full time, or sticking to the 5000m.

Comment

Working...
                                X