X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George P.
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    So, upon further review, the TOE is going to have to allow the play to stand, as there is insufficient evidence to overturn it.

Hope that helps. :wink: 8-)
    Hmm. G.P. returns to the bench in a funk, having lost a down after Throwing the Flag onto the field following a quite problematic call. :?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by George P.
    Originally posted by gh
    I've never thought of "visibility" as even being on the radar on the list of any problems high school track has.
    I've been trying to "unpack" that post. And I keep coming with a muddle. :?: Where is our T.O.E. when we need him?
    GP
    T.O.M.
    [bugle blasting 'Charge' - sound of thundering hooves]

We're dealing with a mixed metaphor and a 'problem' that is not a problem.
    'Visibility', referring to the amount of publicity or 'national profile' that HS T&F enjoys, is a non-starter, because it exists for participation 99% and to be spectated 1%. Simply said, HS T&F does not need to be visible to be successful, which, by the way, it is, very, as evidenced by the extremely high participation rates. Now, as to the radar screen allusion, while on first blush, it would seem that 'visibilty' and 'being on the radar screen' share the concept of 'being seen', being seen on a radar screen means that the sport's visibility would have to present itself as a tangible factor in its existence, which we've already shown is not the case. Therefore its radar presentation, in this regard, is irrelevant. BUT . . . that was the point of gh to begin with. So, upon further review, the TOE is going to have to allow the play to stand, as there is insufficient evidence to overturn it.

Hope that helps. :wink: 8-)

Leave a comment:

• George P.
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I've never thought of "visibility" as even being on the radar on the list of any problems high school track has.
    I've been trying to "unpack" that post. And I keep coming with a muddle. :?: Where is our T.O.E. when we need him?

GP
    T.O.M.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    More is better.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    People can bash ESPN/Disney all they want, but they're doing a helluva lot more to increase visibilty of the HS end of the sport(in conjunction with Dyestat) than ANYONE.

Today, for instance, they will be webcasting the Div.-1, Div.-2, and seeded races from the Stanford Invitational on ESPN360.

Leave a comment:

• George P.
    replied
    Sounds like it will turn into fodder for a "reality TV" series featuring athletic (?) youngsters. Don't see any reason to believe ESPN/Disney is doing it for the love of sports. Doesn't sound promising to me.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Did Disney get lights for the track?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    So that means a 2-day overlap between USATF JOs and AAU. Not that many ever do both anyway.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Wonder how happy USATF will be with this puppy: based on this year's dating, would go head-to-head with the Junior Olympics.
    Based on next year's dating, however, there's no conflict. The USATF JO meet after the Disney thing.

http://www.usatf.org/events/2009/USATFJ ... pionships/

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Au contraire! They're the national governing body (for better or worse) and supposed to be in control of their own destiny. To have their product diluted by the commercial pirates at Disney is criminal.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    You intimated that USATF had somehow done something evil by going up against NON.

I implied nothing of the sort. I simply say if USATF had no problems crowding NON weekend, they shouldn't sweat someone sharing their JO time.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    What's that got to do with the price of potatoes in Hungary?

You intimated that USATF had somehow done something evil by going up against NON. I'm simply stating that they pretty much have the right to go where they want. The NSSF guys were classy enough to recognize this and said so.

The fact that some stars chose to go to NON instead is irrelevant. I'm glad both meets got some headliners.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I realize that NON is the be-all, end-all for your team, but that's a private operation that chooses nothing and USATF is charged with choosing the team for the World Juniors. I'd say the latter gets the whip hand in that case.

Apparently German Fernandez, Robert Finnerty, Nadonnia Rodriques, Chalonda Goodman, Jasmine Stowers, et al. didn't get the memo.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I realize that NON is the be-all, end-all for your team, but that's a private operation that chooses nothing and USATF is charged with choosing the team for the World Juniors. I'd say the latter gets the whip hand in that case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X