Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanford XC Invite

Just got back from the college races. They changed up the course (again) this year. They'd taken out the hills a couple of years ago, but this year's races stayed entirely on the flats and never even ventured out to the back part of the course (for those of you who are familiar at all with the layout). Even so, the course still ran a bit slower than last year, but I would chalk that up to the vagaries of course measurement/layout.

As he did last year, and as is his wont, Aron Rono of Azusa Pacific went out quickly (didn't get any splits). Scotty Bauhs, the 27:48 Chico State guy, held back with the chase pack, but then quickly became the only pursuer. Still down 35-40m at 5K, Bauhs closed very well to go on to win comfortably, defending his title. Bauhs won last year while running unattached, two weeks before going on to run an age-21 national record of 63:04 at the San Jose Rock 'n' Roll Half-Marathon.

Super frosh Chris Derrick of Stanford looked fully recovered from the mono that kept him out of PRE, running with senior Garrett Heath before pulling away for 3rd place (No. 1 Stanford runner).

Stanford's 3-6 runners packed well, and easily beat Cal and Arkansas, with Chico State 4th. An Arkansas-Stanford match-up 10 years ago would've been one for the ages, with both squads fielding some of the greatest collegiate harrier fields ever, but alas the Hogs are not the team they used to be.

I thought I saw Cal's Michael Coe near the front early, but couldn't spot him later, and I don't see him in the results.

In the women's race, Azusa had another front running Kenyan, Jacky Kipwambok, up front early. Laurynne Chetelat, the Stanford frosh who pushed Jordan Hasay at the State Meet 3200 and who ran 9:15 at World Juniors, looked good, and moved up to 2nd at one point, but UC Irvine's Laura Olvera looked strong and pulled away over the second half.

Chetelat faded the last 2k and was passed for 3rd by Kim Conley of UC Davis (go Ags!!!). Stanford won easily, with Davis a distance 2nd in a fairly weak field.

As usual, Stanford ran some of their freshman unattached, but notably missing were top senior Hari Mix for the men and soph Alex Gits for the women.

I look forward to the District meet back at the golf course in 7 weeks.

Re: Stanford XC Invite

Originally posted by dl
    Just got back from the college races. They changed up the course (again) this year. They'd taken out the hills a couple of years ago, but this year's races stayed entirely on the flats and never even ventured out to the back part of the course (for those of you who are familiar at all with the layout).

Thanks for the report. Just got done looking at Griak, too.

No hills? God, I hate this run-on-a-grass-track trend!! Where are we anyway, New Zealand--??

Comment

Originally posted by dl
      alas the Hogs are not the team they used to be.
      Alas, they may never again be what they used to be.

Comment

Has Annie St. Geme ever run a race for Stanford?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          Originally posted by dl
          alas the Hogs are not the team they used to be.
          Alas, they may never again be what they used to be.
          But they had a hell of a run, didn't they?

Comment

Absolutely!

Comment

Working...
            X