Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've applauded Geb's decision to skip the Olympic marathon. It simply didn't fit his overall plan for the year, and the conditions were very tough, to say the least. And, frankly, I like the implication of his decision: that the Olympic marathon is ONE race among many. An important one, to be sure, but not the be-all and end-all of the sport. That's not a universal opinion, but I happen to agree--and the more Olympics that pass under the bridge, the MORE I agree.

Sammy's achievement is clear. Under very tough conditions--conditions of no athlete's "choosing"--he ran with incredible daring/confidence to capture the biggest competitive prize of the year, with a time that few could have ever predicted.

Geb's achievement is also clear. He applied all his smarts and experience to try to achieve "perfection": ideal conditions and an absolutely maximum physical performance. And he did.

Two different kinds of "perfection," perhaps...a reminder that the sport isn't limited to a single measure of excellence.

Comment

I am Geb's biggest fan but im not an idiot, ok i am an idiot but, the Olympics is THE stage for ALL of the greatest marathoners to show up with their best stuff.

I understand Geb's reasons for not running but that's not Sammy's fault. Sammy won the Olympic contest in a incredible time and he has to be no. 1
      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
        I like the implication of his decision: that the Olympic marathon is ONE race among many. An important one, to be sure, but not the be-all and end-all of the sport. That's not a universal opinion, but I happen to agree--and the more Olympics that pass under the bridge, the MORE I agree.
        Quite right, imo. It's only a slight exaggeration to say the track races at the Games are indeed the "be-all and end-all" for those events in a OG year. (The athletes seem to think so!) But the OG marathon, for all its interest and its merit, just doesn't fall into that category, and I doubt it will any time soon.

Comment

Why should this be different than other events ? Olympic Gold is what matters this year and you can't punish Wanjiru for not having that duel in Beijing. I think he should be No. 1 since his showings outside of Beijing have been pretty strong too.

Comment

I can't believe there is any doubt.

No 1 was decided a month ago. No 2 was a no-show.

Who does number 2 work for?

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
              Why should this be different than other events ? Olympic Gold is what matters this year and you can't punish Wanjiru for not having that duel in Beijing. I think he should be No. 1 since his showings outside of Beijing have been pretty strong too.
              Nobody is suggesting "punishing" Wanjiru. Being ranked number 2 in the marathon for the year (if that's what happens) is hardly punishment.

What you're suggesting, by implication, is that we should "punish" Geb for not competing in Beijing, even though he had perfectly good reasons for not doing so. You're furthermore implying that the winner in each event at the Games should be the annual number 1 -- more or less no matter what! That would be a bridge too far, to say the least. Heck, we could just dispense with the annual rankings during Olympic years, right?

Comment

Originally posted by George P.
                What you're suggesting, by implication, is that we should "punish" Geb for not competing in Beijing,
                YES
                even though he had perfectly good reasons for not doing so.
                NO

Should Wanjiru be punished for not skipping the Olympic Games in favor of a time-trial in Berlin?

Comment

Unbelievable performance, with tough competition, under challenging conditions in the big event of the year --- Wanjiru = # 1.
                  Geb went for the bucks in Berlin, but Wanjiru was brilliant in Beijing.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                    Double alliteration explains it all.

Comment

Geb went for the bucks in Berlin
                      My, my. :wink: Since when did going "for the bucks" become an object of contempt on these very pragmatic boards?

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
                        Double alliteration explains it all.
                        Multi-marathon magnificence, but Wanjiru wules...

Comment

...Geb went for the bucks in Berlin...
                          Geb went for the WR in Berlin.

Comment

The implication that athletes run in the Olympics with no expectation of financial payoff is truly hilarious.

In the professional era, they're ALL professionals. Get real.

Comment

You're furthermore implying that the winner in each event at the Games should be the annual number 1 -- more or less no matter what! That would be a bridge too far, to say the least. Heck, we could just dispense with the annual rankings during Olympic years, right?
                              Malmo, if you could trouble yourself to descend from you High Horse momentarily, perhaps you could address my key “implication” (which you may have found too troubling/annoying to deal with directly).

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                                The implication that athletes run in the Olympics with no expectation of financial payoff is truly hilarious.

In the professional era, they're ALL professionals. Get real.
                                Good point.

How much weight do we give Dubai (worlds "richest" marathon) in this debate since dollars obviously matter to some extent. For example, the PGA money leaders list is usually a stat that people pay attention to.

Comment

Working...
                                X