Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has, so far (with 3 historically fast marathons still to go -- Chicago, Amsterdam, Fukuoka), been one of the greatest years ever for men's marathon running. Just consider the four marathons that have been the focus of the discussion in this thread -- Dubai, London, Beijing, Berlin -- and the many great performances they produced. Left aside are Kipsang's 2:05:49 CR in Rotterdam, and one of the Ethiopian guy's 2:06:40ish win in Paris.

In addition to the WR, OG record, we have more depth:

#10 time so far this year is 2:06:32 (Wanjiru)
    #20 time so far this year is 2:07:32 (S. Korir, Seoul)

Already, 46 sub-2:09. (As for the source of those 46: 29 Kenya, 7 Ethiopia, 3 Japan, 2 Eritrea, 2 Morocco, 1 Switzerland, 1 USA, 1 Qatar-former Kenyan.)

To compare the depth, through this decade:

#10 2:07:47; #20 2:08:34; 31 sub-2:09
    #10 2:07:48; #20 2:08:52; 23 sub-2:09
    #10 2:06:49; #20 2:08:08; 37 sub-2:09
    #10 2:06:48; #20 2:07:53; 56 sub-2:09
    #10 2:07:42; #20 2:08:35; 34 sub-2:09
    #10 2:07:46; #20 2:08:29; 31 sub-2:09
    #10 2:07:04; #20 2:07:58; 43 sub-2:09
    #10 2:07:19; #20 2:07:57; 46 sub-2:09

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
      However, Wanjiru's other races and performances were strong enough to give him the nod over Geb and the WR. As long as someone has an impressive season summary and the Olympic title, you can make a strong case for him, even if someone else set a new WR.
      If we look only at the Marathon (which by thread title, we should), I am only
      aware of two races for both runners. Geb won both his races; Wanjiru won one,
      and was only second in the other---in fact, he was closer to the third place
      than to second. In my eyes, this is a very strong argument against him.

Had Wanjiru been undefeated, or Geb lost a race, or Wanjiru running four
      Marathons and only losing one, then we would have a different situation.

As an aside: We should possibly let the discussion rest until the season is
      over. If both Geb and Wanjiru have a third race planned, the results of those
      races can overturn anything we conclude here and now.

Comment

Wanjiru pulled out of the World Half-Marathon citing fatigue; Geb is slated to run a 15K Down Under (see story on front page where Aussie writer says he'd take Wanjiru as No. 1). Would seem unlikely to me there's a further marathon in either of their plans.

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
          Fat chance!

Comment

Honors Won-OG vs. what amounts to two GP-style time trials. Big advantage to Wanjiru.

Won-Loss Record-two first vs. a first and a second, the second being avenged.

Sequence of Marks-a tie in the varied world of marathoning.

As noted before, if you want to skip the Olympics for your own reaons, fine. But you've taken yourself out of the game to a degree.

It's Wanjiru.

Comment

sammy ran og virtually as the wabbit, geb had pacers to 30k & if he tucked behind them properly got at least 1'00 drafting advantage

if sammy had the same, that gets him down to mid-2"05

you have to then decide if the general course conditions ( not a speedway like berlin i'd presume ?) & heat/humidity were worth at least 1"30

the answer to sammy's current ability may rely on this ( note bedford said london was nearly 90s quicker with flatter, straighter, smoother route than before )

( also note that although gharib finished only 44s behind, he hardly ever led & drafted of sammy & the ethiopian to most extent, meaning he may have got close to 1'00 advantage from this )

my gut tells me that sammy with this run & 1/2M wr is capable of low-2"03 currently in berlin

Comment

Originally posted by George P.
                Originally posted by imaginative
                Fat chance!
                Yeah, partic. now that Geb has announced he's doing Dubai in January.

Comment

Re: so who's No. 1 in the marathon?

Originally posted by gh
                  WR vs. Olympic title

Another way of looking at the performances: as far as a spectator, one could walk away from the Geb races and merely check back periodically to see if he was still on pace (then catch the historic finish!).

In contrast, I doubt very few fans could risk leaving their television area during the ultra-competitive OG race.

Comment

Man, the weeks that have gone by since this thread began certainly haven't brought any clarity to my mind on who wins.

The only good thing, I've realized, is that no matter which way it goes, it's easy to vote for Geb over Wanjiru in the AOY ordering because he'll have a decent 10K ranking as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Man, the weeks that have gone by since this thread began certainly haven't brought any clarity to my mind on who wins.

The only good thing, I've realized, is that no matter which way it goes, it's easy to vote for Geb over Wanjiru in the AOY ordering because he'll have a decent 10K ranking as well.

Actually, wasn't it determined on this board nearly one year ago that Ryan Hall's OT win instantly made him one of the 10 greatest performers of the year...?

So geez, gh, why are you complaining? Tap the wisdom of the time and you can name Hall #1 based on sheer potential. Then you've only got 9 more to figure out--!

[Tongue firmly in cheek.]

:]

Comment

Working...
                      X